Topic

Western MT next week — suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Western MT next week — suggestions?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Locale: Front Range

I’m headed out to do the Bob Marshall Wilderness Open this weekend.  However, I’ve requested the whole week off from work to stay and explore with my girlfriend and we’ll have 4-5 days to explore the Bob, or head up to Glacier.

I’ve considered a couple options, but I’d like to get some feedback or other ideas.  Depending on how my legs are feeling on Tuesday might shape whether we do some easier day hikes, long runs, or a full backpacking loop.

Backpacking loop from Holland Lake to the South Fork of the Flathead and back (Bob Marshall)

Base camp backpack to Upper Kintla Lake for 2 nights (Glacier NP)

I would be very open to an easy backpacking loop with good/varied scenery and opportunities to fish. I just need some help to point me in the right direction.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

If you’re fried and want to dayhike and car camp I’d make Many Glacier destination number one. If the weather cooperates and ceiling lifts backpacking up to and basecamping at Sperry Chalet for two nights would be nice. You’ll hit snow 1.5 miles from the chalet and BC campground, but the hike up to that point is easy and snow free. From Sperry you can dayhike as far as the snow allows over to Lake Ellen Wilson and Gunsight Pass. I’d be happy to lend you another pair of snowshoes.

Another easy backpack would be to head in to the North Fork of the Sun River from Gibson Reservoir. Wildlife in that area is typically very abundant this time of year.

Adrian Swanson
    BPL Member

@storunner13

Locale: Front Range

Thanks for the tips, Dave.  We’ve found a pair of MSR Evos that aren’t too light, but will definitely do the trick.

The Sperry BC Campground looks like a great location for seeing Glacier NP.  I’ve been leaning towards staying in the Bob to avoid a little extra driving, but Amy hasn’t been to the park so she’s hoping to make a visit.  Hopefully I’ll have a fast recovery after the weekend.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools