Topic

Esbit burner testing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Esbit burner testing

Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 907 total)
  • Author
    rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Esbit burner from the Fifth Dynasty of the Old Kingdom. Coffee pot showed levtating just above the left top of illustration (unfortunately needed truncation to meet file size limitations). For best results, inclined strut should be maintained parallel to the rotation axis of Earth.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Esbit burners from the Old Kingdom. Above: brass and enamel. Below: silver.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

That silver burner – what date? Somehow it seems a bit newer than the brass one (or the brass one seems a fair bit older).

Cheers

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

This Wonderful Functional Work of Art features an Egyptian Themed Incense Burner with a covered dish for the incense – An Egyptian Figural created of brass and painted with red & black enamel. The man is wearing a decorative red and gold head band with scroll-like flourishes. The only clothing is a red loin cloth. Outstretched, the figure presents a deep “bowl” for incense with a well-ventilated cover and fancy embellishments.
    Measurements: 8-3/4″ L x 1-5/8″ W.
    Signature/Marks: “HKK” inside of a diamond-shape cartouche and “MADE IN JAPAN” twice.
    Weight: Quite heavy weighing 1/2 – 3/4’s of a pound.
    Good Condition with no dents or dings. There is minor paint loss.
    Thank you for visiting A Twinkle in Time Vintage Jewelry, Accessories & Collectibles.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Etched silver incense burner from Egypt. The incense burner in a brazier form. Similar to a full sized brazier, it consists of a vase shaped base, and a crescent moon topped pierced lid. This piece has an interlacing trefoil pattern etched into the lid,and a simple beaded design encircling both rims. Multiple silver chains drape around the rim. The hallmark at the base is consistent with silver items from Egypt circa 1960. Measuring 7.5″ to the top of it’s crescent moon finial. and 5″ across the tray base, and weighs 13 ounces.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Well how else am I supposed to deal with the heat? Sorry Roger.
    It’s 36* or 37* everyday, I’m told this is the peak, after another week maybe it will ease a little. A younger woman fainted by our elevator off the monorail yesterday. It’s no joke. Just scorching.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Robert

Hilarious.
    I can only add that last summer we (in Sydney) had many days over 40 C, and one which reached 47 C. Yeah, it was hot. And Sydney is HUMID.

Cheers

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Thankfully, you have a sense of humor. As does Dan. Silly weather. I don’t think I could take 47 C.  And Japan has had a near typhoon, bad slides, flooding.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Can’t survive without some sense of humour.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

This little pocket stove can be used for esbit, not Egyptian but still functional :

YouTube video

I was inspired by this Civil War pocket stove used by soldiers to heat a cup of tea/coffee and was also used to sterilize surgical knives/scalples:

I saw one of these in a Civil War museum. The burner can be lifted out and placed between the 2 fold out pot supports.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Very nice, Dan.

When I ordered Ti  stakes from Tito titanium, they provided as service  a Ti box of similar size, similar rounded corners, maybe a little longer, the lid was not hinged though. Which I presume they make.

Have you adapted BGETs to fit twig stoves, like the Ti Emberlit or Vargo hex, to allow them to be also used for Esbit? I get frustrated having to disassemble and reassemble my Emberlit from last night’s twig fire (anti-Mozzie device) to make my morning coffee… I guess a simple sit-in Esbit tray that hooked onto the top of the twig stove would make life easier.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

A titanium BGET welded to the inside of an Esbit brand folding stove would work well as a twig burning stove also. The BGET would remain attached to the stove and withstand the heat of the twigs burning.

YouTube video

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Robert, I’m detecting a bit of, perhaps not “thread drift”, but something more sinister that could be seen as “thread subversion”. ;o)

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

More like dread diversion, Eric, given 3D printed guns, deregulation to permit mining of natural reserves, loss of democracy, truth and common sense, California wildfires, etc. etc. Let it snow…

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The weather and the smell of Esbit can do this to a person:

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Anti-gravity stove (patent pending).

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Dan, I found this rather tidy (twig) (ikea?) stove on Pinterest:

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

More likely the effects of bringing Buddhism to China and Japan (Boddidharma, or Daruma in Japan, early 5th Century). Nakao, Saito, Kyushu. A lovely remote area with lakes, rivers, forests, mountains.

[I must confess I am not completely sure this is a representation of Boddhidharma/Daruma, though the treatment of flowing robes is very Buddhist; if anyone can confirm this identity, or instead correct it,  I would be most grateful. He stands close by what I presume to be a hospice.]

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Aaahhhh! Robert, I love the smell of ESBIT in the morning! ;o)

BTW, we need smiley imoges her on BPL. and one finger salute imoges and many other imoges (including one of a burned tent near and exploding stove and heavily singed and startled backpacker). Yeah, I’m sick but in a good old ‘Merican way.

And YES, this world is insane with an insane US President, insane denial of global warming and just d@mn ol’ IGNORANCE among 50% of the electorate.

(You say “3D printed guns” like it’s a bad thing.;o)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

3D printed guns are a very good thing, in a purely Darwinian sense.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I learned the technique many moons agon from jeffrey the avoider of disturbance that by purloining the Eye of Horus from Hatshepsut‘s funerary temple, and concentrating cognitive vibrations, coffee can be readily raised to piping hot temperature. This technique works best while levitating the coffee pot at a vertical location of phi^-1 of the virtual pyramid formed by the chakras of your subtle body while resting in profound Samādhi; taking care not to spill the divine liquor on the Akashic record of your ethereal presence.

Robert, what does that mean in English 

Ikea has inspired many wood burning stoves. They have some very durable containers for

diy stoves.

I was inspired on how to make an efficient esbit stove while watching the video I made years ago. Next week I’ll present a new esbit stove based on what I saw happening in this video:

YouTube video

It pays to have some drifting in forums   Roger is now interested in milling machines that cut 3d printed guns to make new canister stoves 

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Roger is now interested in milling machines that cut 3d printed guns to make new canister stoves

Indeed.

Machining a batch of stove bodies for my V2 remote inverted canister winter stoves, on my CNC machine.

Cheers

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

The Mortuary Temple of Hatshepsut, also known as the Djeser-Djeseru (“Holy of Holies”), is a mortuary temple of Ancient Egypt located in Upper Egypt, and considered one of the “incomparable monuments of ancient Egypt.” Hatshepsut, “Foremost of Noble Ladies” (1507–1458 BC) was the fifth pharaoh of the Eighteenth Dynasty of Egypt. She was the second historically-confirmed female pharaoh. I got inspired by the building when first studying architecture, not least because of its modern sense, stunning for 3,500 years of age. Yes I’m all for drift, if it can stimulate the creative juices, and thanks for your kind tolerance. I look forward to the new video, you seem to be shaping the flame envelope in a porous container; and I’m also getting intrigued in Roger’s production line, as I am inspired by Eric’s plans (in another thread) to base camp at 9,000 ft and explore telemark terrain for the coming winter.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Regarding Esbit, there is so very much research taking place into dazzling arrays of new materials and substances, that I am surprised Esbit – or a competitor – has not come up with a superior product – that does not smell, whose last gasp is so unappealing, and whose residue is so unpleasant. Surely also, a substitute fuel ought to be available in different “flavors”, from slow burning to rapid combustion. So Eric could have his rocket fuel, but it would also be possible to simmer something with a less intense but longer-lasting combination fuel. Ideally it would be the same fuel for the different purposes, but the user adjusts it somehow when first deploying the tab. Not a function of the available oxygen, but some change to its chemical composition that the user can effortlessly and intuitively set. E.g. shaking it vigorously first to ensure a fast hot burn.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Surely also, a substitute fuel ought to be available in different “flavors”, from slow burning to rapid combustion.

Something a bit like opening the valve on a BRS-3000T on a 100 g gas canister?

(Ducks for cover.)

Cheers

Viewing 25 posts - 476 through 500 (of 907 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools