Topic

Esbit burner testing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Esbit burner testing

Viewing 7 posts - 901 through 907 (of 907 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Also I’m laughing at myself for measuring to 3 decimal places. I must have been very bored.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Eric BlumensaadtBPL MEMBER
    What is the “ideal” tablet holder distance to the bottom of a pot?

By this I mean from the base where the bottom of the ESBIT tablet lays to the pot bottom. This should account for virtually all of the tablet burn, start to finish.

One and 3 quarter inches. 1-3/4″

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

I remain a dedicated Esbit user, but get concerned about the effects of the fumes. The carcinogenicity of aromatic compounds is widely recognized, cooking fumes in general being recognized as a cause of lung cancer. It seems to me that Esbit and its competitors have a responsibility to develop solid fuels that are safe, as well as aesthetic. I am also getting concerned about touching the fuel, and the residue after burning.

BTW, I find wet wipes, while they still have ample alcohol, clean the base of the pot and the stand really well, when applied shortly after use. I recently salvaged a much loved but abused Esbit burner from serious caking by soaking it in alcohol (IPA).

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I recently salvaged a much loved but abused Esbit burner from serious caking by soaking it in alcohol (IPA).

I recently made a few dozen mini esbitmizers. Send me a PM and I’ll send you one to experiment with. They make it easy not to get the smell onto your hands. The recent video that I posted shows how to put the esbit into the tray and hold it at an angle to light it.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Hi Dan, thank you kindly. I think you sent me two some years ago – I’m in Korea. The small tray with side holes and a sliding lid? I have enjoyed great use from them, and still have and use them. During a recent descent on a remote and unnamed glacier in East Tibet, I got separated from my yak, and encountered sheet ice. Having lost my crampons several hours previously, the situation was quite precarious, but I recalled your sage advice in the video you posted on 1001 uses of the Esbitmeiser, and was able to glissade down the slope to safety balancing on one big toe on the Esbitmeizer tray, while slowing my descent by the air brake from the Esbitmeizer lid, which I was able to fly on the end of a dental floss tether. My yak noticed my descent, and reunited with me. Your kit literally saved my life, and I am most grateful, and unconditionally recommend the Esbitmeizer.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Dan, on the older Esbit cooker sets, the pot support has an inverted dome form. Do you have something equivalent to an Ezbitmeizer in a round inverted dome form, with no lid, that could be used with them? I have been customizing something similar from sheet foil, cookie foil formers (round fluted holders), and  from the bottoms of alu beer cans, to act as a liner so the original pot support is not fouled. Then the liner can be disposed of every now and then, and a replacement used. The sidewalls want to not be too high so that air can reach the tabs, while the tray holds the melted liquid. Any thoughts?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Having lost my crampons several hours previously, the situation was quite precarious, but I recalled your sage advice in the video you posted on 1001 uses of the Esbitmeiser, and was able to glissade down the slope to safety balancing on one big toe on the Esbitmeizer tray, while slowing my descent by the air brake from the Esbitmeizer lid, which I was able to fly on the end of a dental floss tether

So glad you were able to do the “Big Toe Glide” to safety. Good things come in small packages!!!

I’m in the midst of a winter blizzard here in the Midwest. Let the good times roll!!

Viewing 7 posts - 901 through 907 (of 907 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools