Topic

Esbit burner testing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Esbit burner testing

Viewing 25 posts - 451 through 475 (of 907 total)
  • Author
    rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

But Dan you are wealthy – you have an art form you have made your own, and excel in it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Wealthy from selling little alky stoves?
    Problem there …

Cheers

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

That depends on one’s definition of wealth. I know I am wealthy when polyhedral arrays reveal their mysteries to me, when my wife cooks me yet another perfect meal, like tonight (including Aussie lamb chops, courtesy Costco), when my HMG tarp assumes an ideal shape in difficult constraints (like last night). Now if only I could get paid for my work, as well…

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

I’d like a perfect conical or pyramidal Ti version of a Ti Ember Lit, including Esbit option. Not requiring fussy assemblage, but still knock-down in some fashion. Can Ti sheet be regularly and repeatedly folded and unfolded? I have a Vargo hex folding pyramid, can’t find it at present, but last night the Ember Lit with twigs and cones did sterling service under my tarp to keep bugs at bay, then I switched to Esbit for my morning coffee, but what a pain to reassemble it (to insert the top tray).
    The Ember Lit has such totemic presence, but ease of deployment is important to me.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Oh there ought to be a Ti-Graphene nanocomposite that could be designed that is super light, stiff, heat resistant, and foldable… that can be stamped out into the conic or pyramidal form, with fold creases…

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Designing is the fun part. Load this ease of deployment stove with esbit and watch the water boil:

YouTube video

I stopped making this stove available to the public many years ago. Too much China competition.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Tariffs will fix that, eliminate China competition.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Tidy unit Dan, refined hinge details. I was gripped by the sparse dialogue and cinéma vérité quality. Can we perhaps expect a sequel at Cannes next year?

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Dan, I wondered if you have come across this

at

http://moonlight-gear.com/?pid=74413423

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I like it. It’s a compact, tidy kit. Makes for a nice small campfire. It’s interesting to see how the use of carbon felt has has gone global. I use carbon felt attached to the base of the Titanium BGET.

I recently used up all of my Esbit doing tests and needed to order more but found the prices have increased and so I have to ask forum members if they have found any good sources for Esbit at reasonable prices?

I wish Eric would invent a more powerful solid fuel source!

Quotes:

Up to now I have made a number of large wood stove and small nature stove and used commercial things but
    it is bulky and heavy to carry a big wood stove.
    Small wood stove was not able to inhale when the ash was accumulated at the bottom, causing misfire and
    many things that can not be boiled satisfactorily. Even if it is a humid branch to pick up outside.
    I want to make something that matches Japanese humid environment.

Then
    , I thought about trying to make something that will handle all such things as ultra lightweight and heavy branches that do not exist so far, high combustion efficiency, fireworks, kettles and cooking.

· Balance of combustion efficiency and weight and durability.
    · Consideration to reduce heat damage to the ground.
    – Size feeling that can be used for solo camping as it is easier to back pack.
    · To make it strong against the wind, the ground clearance changed many times.

Excellent combustion efficiency which also burns moist branches which can be made because it is heat resistant mesh.
    It is easy to assemble because it is not easy to break due to simplicity. Gotok can handle any cooker.
    Super compact dimensions. Since flame hardly hits the frame, thermal deformation is minimal.
    A wide fire floor
    capable of putting a thick branch as much as a wrist that could not be done with 100 g of wood stove enabled a long fire firing.
    Carbon felt with consideration for the heat to the ground and titanium mini fire burner with fire fires are enjoyable.

Put the attached carbon felt on the ground.
    It will reduce the damage of the heat to the ground and prevent sinking into snow and sand.
    When igniting, if there is a solid fuel such as Esbit, it will be easier to burn fire.
    VARGO’s titanium pin peg is now fitted to Gotoku.
    (Aluminum pin peg can melt with heat, so it can not be used)

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I like it. It’s a compact, tidy kit. Makes for a nice small campfire.

Would that work much better than a small fire on the ground for cooking? I’m not an expert, but that doesn’t look like it will give you any chimney effect or whatever it is that makes a hobo stove work.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

I thought the longitudinal shape would be harder to get the fire burning, but good once it was properly alight. (I prefer the conic shape, like piled up sticks).There’s a video to watch as well. Don’t get sticker shock from the price!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

That type of stove would work well for beginners. It has large amount of oxygen entering all around the wood which is needed for an easy start up. Twigs laying flat on the ground is not good for beginners. Wood stoves have grates to suspend the wood so air enters under the pile of wood for easy combustion.

Notice in the last part of the quotes they recommend the use of Esbit as a fire starter.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

I’m just about to crash for the night, but I wonder how gauze in an inverted cone (or pyramid) (like a top) would work for a stove? Would need a simple support structure. Maybe the gauze would simply clog up, so air wouldn’t enter much from below, But it would be an interesting formal alternative to the cone/pyramid of twigs, here inverted. Gotta sleep.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Dan, I see. Thanks. I’ve not played with wood stoves much yet, except that I have a Biolite.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I like the Biolite, it’s multi purpose :-) my goto stoves are wood burning.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

I think someone could have an interesting time exploring different configurations of gauze support for twig fires, and might develop an effective and marketable alternative. Shaping the fire bed, rather than the overall fire box. The Sola stove above is the first gauze stove I’ve seen that supports pots as well, rather than by default resting on the presumed horizontal fire bed. But I’ve not been following them closely. By the way Dan, Esbit appears to be getting harder to find in Korea, at least in the 4g size. Becoming more a speciality fuel, rather than generally available.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Quote from my website bplite.com

The Globe Stove

45 Gram Wood Stove Stainless Steel

I had a little time to put together a little gram weinie wood stove.

It’s made of stainless steel mesh

It weighs 45 grams/ 1-1/2 ounces

I made two test burns. filled the stove 3/4 full of twigs. Lit it with help of a little denatured alcohol just to speed up thing a little.

It boiled 2 cups of water in an uncovered aluminum pot.

The stove turned out to be totaly cool. You can watch the flames flicker while its burning. Just like an open fire. The mesh prevents ash flakes from flying up and out everywhere. The fire gets plenty of oxygen, very little soot build up. I used dried twigs just as I did with the Martha Twixx stainless steel sifter stove. BUT, there is a lot less soot with this one. I really like this one. I usually use a little campfire with a tripod made of sticks to hold my pot of water. This little stove may change my ways:).

The last two photos show the stove after the two test burns. The mesh held up very well under the high heat of the wood fuel. I did not wash the stove off after the tests. What you see in the photos is how clean it burns, very little soot.

The stove is flexible. Can be squished down to 1 inch without creasing it. Have not tested it to see how much weight it will hold. I have to do some further testing.

YouTube video

YouTube video

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

Interesting – I think I have one of those from one of my tiny lanterns…

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

John, I used after market Coleman lantern stainless steel replacement globes. I have half dozen sitting around in my garage….can’t have to many stoves ;-)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

“Can’t have too many stoves.” ;o)  Amen!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’m still a fan of gassifier stoves for melting snow. They work fast B/C they are very HOTT!

Ya gotta begin melting snow with some water in the pot or you will merely scorch the pot and the snow goes right to vapor. (Don’t ask how I know this very basic step.)

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

You guys are still using such primitive technology. I learned the technique many moons agon from jeffrey the avoider of disturbance that by purloining the Eye of Horus from Hatshepsut‘s funerary temple, and concentrating cognitive vibrations, coffee can be readily raised to piping hot temperature. This technique works best while levitating the coffee pot at a vertical location of phi^-1 of the virtual pyramid formed by the chakras of your subtle body while resting in profound Samādhi; taking care not to spill the divine liquor on the Akashic record of your ethereal presence.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

If too difficult for a humble mortal, try pouring boiling water over fresh coffee grounds. That too works but is less ethereal.

Cheers

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Detailed instructions on the technique, which is critically dependent on the Esbit lined sarcophagus, are provided in the upper part of the left-middle panel.

“Truly oh Kings, drink of this rarefied libation, and know no perturbation or disambiguation thereafter, The path to liberation rests on Esbit-somagnification of caffessence!”

Viewing 25 posts - 451 through 475 (of 907 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools