About & Access Info
Live Event Info: How to Plan Food for a Backpacking Trip (Member Live Q&A) – November 18, 2021 6:00 PM US Mountain Time
Backpacking Light Q&A Sessions are Hour-Long Members-Only Live Events – they are recorded and the recorded session will be made available below after the live event has ended.
To access the live or recorded (video) version of this event, a printable slide deck for note-taking, and the related resources/downloads, you must be logged in with an active Premium or Unlimited Membership.
- Note: Member Live Q&A events will also be made available to Basic Members. Become a Member today »
Planning your food for a backpacking trip can be a little overwhelming, and we hope to identify the tasks and simplify the process a bit for you. In this Member Q&A, you’ll learn about calorie planning, nutritional considerations, and food packaging and storage strategies.
1. Keynote: AN OVERVIEW OF BACKCOUNTRY FOOD PLANNING (~45 minutes, by Ryan Jordan)
- caloric density
- nutritional diversity
- the role of macronutrients
- energy-mile theory & calorie planning
- weight loss expectations
- food packaging and storage
- fuel planning, simmering, hot-soaking, and cold-soaking
- featured recipe!
2. Backcountry Food Planning Q&A (~15 minutes)
- micronutrients: from food or supplements?
- when to take nutrient supplements
- what’s really changed in trail cooking during the past 40 years?
- options for DIY meal packaging for small cook-in-bag meals < 1 pint
- dehydration impacts when using constant-temperature ovens/dehydrators
- what about calorie-to-food volume ratio of dry foods – how to improve?
- how to keep fresh ground coffee fresh on a long trip
Members-Only: Attend the Live Event/Watch the Recorded Video & Access Additional Resources
A Premium or Unlimited Membership* is required to view the rest of this article.
* A Basic Membership is required to view Member Q&A events
Home › Forums › How to Plan Food for a Backpacking Trip (Member Q&A)