Topic

X-Mid Pro coming: in DCF, 2-person tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion X-Mid Pro coming: in DCF, 2-person tent

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

If you let me know your order # I can confirm

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Where would I find an order # without any kind of confirmation besides this pending charge on my credit card?

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

As strange and backwards as it might sound, I think this rush for limited supply might be a boon for Durston’s company in the long run. It’s creating a lot of visible hype over these tents online (Reddit is going crazy over them), and I think that helps a lot in the backpacking world to have that allure of something that’s very sought after but difficult to acquire. It’s a great way to be established as a premium brand, IMO, even though sales will be down due to limited supply in the short-ish term. Assuming that product supply picks up in the next year or two, of course.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Has anyone gotten confirmation emails?  I did get an order number, but no email confirmation as yet.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Confirmation emails are lagging but orders are working.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I got a confirmation email. Created an account several days ago to facilitate quick order creation.

Did you create an account?

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I’m not sure.  I think perhaps not, because I got the endless spinning wheel when I tried to create an account, so I tried filling in the billing address and that made everything move ahead.  I did fill in all my info above there to create an account, though.

I see no way to log into an account now, just going to the website.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

If you send me a DM with your name or email I can look it up to see if it went through.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Okay, just sent you a message via this website.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Can anyone else recall seeing this much excitement over the release of a backpacking product? Other products have been hyped up, but with the limited quantity drop, layered on top of the emotional and economic impact of the pandemic, it really seems next level! Maybe I’m looking at Reddit too much.

That said, it’s all resting on the high quality of design and construction happening here, not to mention Dan’s participation in our community for so long. Credit to Dan and his wife for really going for it. Dan, you’ve built up a level of trust over the years that is really shining through as your company grows. It’s great to see your generous communication and transparency in the process paying off.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

Mmmmmm, my order is being processed…. 😎

Andy B
    BPL Member

@andybee

I think you’re spot-on Chris. It’s not just producing something innovative in design to what’s currently around but also putting so much effort in to making it a quality product from the materials used to the manufacturer choice and even how the materials are joined. Top Notch!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I saw something on Reddit about orders from the US not having to pay sales tax (ultimately, though initially it’s tacked on to the order).  Since my order is finalized, will that just get updated later on?

CS
    Spectator

@covecs

I was able to get the 1p last week since I was thinking the pro would be too hard to get. But I see they’re still available, any thoughts on the etiquette of getting a pro too?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks for all the support everyone!

Re. sales tax – it should only be charged to Canadians. I think it shows up at first, but once you enter a non-Canadian address is goes away. If you somehow did get charged it and you are not Canadian, then send us a email at [email protected] and we’ll get it tidied up.

The USA does not charge tax on orders under $800 USD value coming into the country, so they should all arrive tax free.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Ah, that explains it.  I accidentally ended up with 2 tents in my cart, with no way I could find to remove one.  I updated my PM and sent another email.

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

I’ll wait a day or so to see if I get three confirmation emails. I got one email, three confirmation numbers from the site, and so far two confirmed charges.

It was a bit hectic as it was stalling, freezing, crashing, thinking, and reloading. And working with two phones, the iphone worked better with the website.

I still have one in my cart that I can’t get rid of.

Needed some excitement after driving 14 hours yesterday to get home from hiking in Nevada and Arizona.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

X-Mid Pro 2 sold out in less than 48 hours.

Dan – any interest in revealing the number of units sold?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

We’re chugging away on the backlog of emails about duplicate orders and missing confirmation emails. We’ve got back to most people and should be back to everyone by the end of today.

Re. sales – I’m told it’s not a good idea to release info like that because it can be sensitive info. I don’t really know if that’s true, but prefer not to release specific sales #s out of caution.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

A bit off topic, but since unit sales was mentioned, I wonder what sorts of numbers other popular tents have, like the Big Agnes CopperSpur UL2, the REI Quarter Dome SL2, or the ZPacks Duplex.   Those seem to be some of the most popular tents among backpackers, but I have no idea even ballpark-wise, what sorts of numbers they sell every year.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I’m told it’s not a good idea to release info like that because it can be sensitive info.

Understood…demand for your shelters far outpaces supply and I was just curious. Agree with Jeff that some gauge of unit volume in the UL shelter market as a whole would be interesting.

Tim Hafner
    BPL Member

@yucaipatim

Locale: Southern California

Dan- Apologies if this has been asked, but do you have plans to make an X-mid 1p single wall in the Polyester?  That would be right in my sweet spot! Thx!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

It’s possible we do that, but not in the near term plans.

Right now I think the regular X-Mid’s are perfect for lightweight hikers that want robust protection (double wall etc), while the Pro version is perfect for the more serious weight geeks. Collectively, I think these covers ~80% of people.

But of course there are other niches, including people who wants a single wall poly (either because they have no interest in a doublewall or prefer to not spend for DCF) and people that want a double wall DCF. We could do those things but they’d be smaller niches I think.

Right now the next X-Mid after the solid inners coming this summer will be a Pro 1 (early 2023) and then after that we could do DCF DW or Poly SW. I get more requests for DCF DW though, so a poly single wall is probably last on the the X-Mid to do list and unlikely for 2023.

Kin C
    BPL Member

@kinwcheng

I think the xmid is a great general backpacking shelter and now that the pro version is here we have a great ultralight version as well. I hope for the next versions we can see a great winter shelter or the super X-Mid 3P 4-season. I think that’s much more interesting than a wide midfield of product offerings in various niche configurations.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

The solid inner version is tilting more towards that 4th season. I still wouldn’t call it a 4 season shelter (let’s say 3+) but with the solid inner plus other tweaks it is better suited. Besides the solid inner, it has some extra reinforcements on the flysheet and low stretch guylines which are much better under heavy snowloads. Maybe it’ll evolve into a 4 season shelter but for that we’d probably want to source a 30D poly (like Black Diamond uses) instead of 20D.

I haven’t thought too much about a 3P shelter but my suspicion is that it’s a lot smaller market. It seems like most 3P backpacking tents are bought by couples that want some extra space, but the X-Mid 2 is already quite spacious for a 2P tent, so it already satisfied that niche pretty well.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 190 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools