Topic

X-Mid Pro coming: in DCF, 2-person tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion X-Mid Pro coming: in DCF, 2-person tent

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

John, I think there are still a couple factors that make solo+ shelters attractive:

– Single trekking pole. Some fast-packing hikers like using single trekking poles. I use two poles but need a single pole tent because I need a pole to be free so I can still use it to hike around after setting up camp. 2 pole tents take away my extra trekking pole. That’s also 14+ ounces dropped by losing a trekking pole for single pole solo hikers.

– There is extra weight to be saved by removing features, like zippered doors. Altaplex comes in at around 5 ounces less than an X-mid Pro 2. 5 ounces is quite a lot in the UL world when my base weight is already just a hair over 9.5lbs in summer. I’m not trying to promote the Altaplex or anything, as it is still a sort of quirky and floppy design, but I think it’s a great base to start discussing tents cut just large enough for larger folks. I also think having the single, taller pole in this tent helps make it much easier to get in and out for big guys. Crawling up into a ball to roll into the tent isn’t fun after hiking 15+ miles with heavy elevation gains and being all sore. With an Altaplex pitched high, I can practically walk into my tent hunched over.

Jason Brooks
    BPL Member

@drytool

Johan, I have the Altaplex tarp and love it. I use it with the floor and Sea to Summit net so have a tent with NO zippers. I like only needing 1 pole, as well. One thing I don’t like is that the fly doesn’t reach the ground at the door. Overall I think the X-Mid is a brilliant design and would prefer it for winter. I’m short, so I’d like to see an X-Mid Pro 1p.

E. L.
    BPL Member

@trailmercury

can’t get on website. (not able to order tent)…tips/thoughts?

Kin C
    BPL Member

@kinwcheng

Rest In Peace Durstongear.com , you were brave.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Dan can commiserate with Ryan about the joys of running your own e-commerce website :)

Brian W
    BPL Member

@tex4vr

Site crashed right away, did anyone get an order in?

Chris
    BPL Member

@chaas-2

I added one to my cart, but then it crashed…

Chad O
    BPL Member

@radchad3

same here unfortunately

Chris
    BPL Member

@chaas-2

FWIW, I did eventually get an order through. I had to go one page at a time. So after I added to the cart, I switched to trying to load the cart page. That took a while. Then once it loaded, click checkout … crash … try to load the checkout page, it eventually loads (including the CC fields), enter info and click place order – more crashes as it tries to run the CC info … eventually on to the confirmation page (which crashed) … reload … and twenty some minutes later I got an actual confirmation page with an order number (no email yet though).

At least there’s one less person trying to get in the door…

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I get to the billing section, then the endless wheel spinning as it’s trying to create my account.  And because I kept starting over, I have 2 in my cart, and can’t remove the extra.

I was finally able to bypass the spinning wheel by entering my address in both places.

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

I think I got an order entered, at least I got a confirmation #

Crashed multiple times at various stages of the order process, finally got to entering CC info and couldn’t get any further.

Switched to my iphone and got through quicker, then placed an order and got a confirmation number. This was after 20 minutes of trying other methods.

Not upset at the hassle, even if it doesn’t go through. It’s not easy to go from 0 to 60 in a new business venture.

I had already gone over to Zpacks and started ordering an altaplex, then decided to give my iphone a try.

Android had an update this week that caused problems with other websites, so maybe that was why I got through on my iphone.

Chad O
    BPL Member

@radchad3

Anyone have any ideas?  Got to the CC payment section, push submit and it says my phone number isn’t legit.   Keeps giving me the “!” at the top.

Update:  Finally got through, thanks Dan for the update!

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I followed Chris’ method. The website crashed repeatedly at every single step of the way. It took me an hour to get to ‘Place Order’. Once I clicked on it the site crashed again. I have no confirmation on their website and no confirmation email, but my credit card got charged. I guess that means, I was lucky :)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Website is struggling but the tents are NOT sold out. The site is starting to work better now and should be quite a bit better in another 15 min.

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

My CC hasn’t been charged yet, but got a confirmation #

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

WOW…what an ordeal, but…got an email confirmation of the order and my CC was charged.  Now we can start pestering Dan endless about when the darn things will be delivered.

Dan – I will not be pestering you endlessly.

Kin C
    BPL Member

@kinwcheng

I have three charges on my CC.

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

I may have ordered 2, one from each phone, no CC charges, but 2 confirmation #s

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Kin C:  You’re getting three of them.  Lucky guy!  LOL

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

Now I got a third confirmation number.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

If people ended up placing a few orders, we’ll get that sorted out/refunded once the dust settles.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Hhm, you are all getting confirmation numbers. Did you create an account? I just ordered without creating an account and my CC card got charged, but I didn’t receive an email with a confirmation #. The website crashed right when I pressed the ‘Place Order’ button before it could display any kind of confirmation. This is an ‘interesting’ experience. Let’s hope the rest of the fulfillment process goes a lot more smoothly.

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

Not a problem, I’m sure it will all get sorted out.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

There are quite a few people reporting no confirmation email yet. In most cases the order has gone through. If you got to a screen saying your order was in, then it was.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I didn’t get a screen saying the order was in because the site crashed once again when I clicked on ‘Place Order’. All I have as an indication that my order went through is the pending charge on my credit card.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 190 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools