Topic

X-Mid Pro coming: in DCF, 2-person tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion X-Mid Pro coming: in DCF, 2-person tent

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 190 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Just saw a notice of an upcoming DCF version of the X-Mid 2-person tent in a single wall design. Called the X-Mid Pro.

About 17.5 ounces. Thoughts?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Great weight for a spacious tent.

I’m still jonesin’ for the 1P in DCF…!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Unfortunately the Pro isn’t 17.5oz – that’s lighter than the Duplex (19.5oz) and the Duplex has already stripped everything (e.g. no vents, no door zippers, high cut fly). Our current guidance is “sub 1.5 lbs” which is quite safe as it’s likely to be ~21oz. It’ll always be a little heavier than the Duplex because it has vents, real door zippers, full coverage fly (to block drafts/rain splatter), and a woven floor (packs way smaller – that thick DCF is what really adds the bulk).

It is a sweet tent. It’s a next gen design with a ton of improvements to the shape including more catenary cuts and side panel guyouts to make it pitch tighter and more stormworthy. We’re building a 4th generation prototype now and should have the design finished in a few months and then production done next spring. There will be a pre-sale this fall. We have a notification sign up for that on the X-Mid Pro page.

If the 2P does well in DCF we’ll add a 1P version.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Interior dims same as X-Mid 2P?

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Footprint the same as the X-Mid 2P?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

It’ll be a bit smaller in interior dims and footprint, but feel about as spacious because it’s a singlewall so you have the space to the fly.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Dan, I found the notice of the Pro at https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-pro-2p. I just converted the 0.5 kg weight from there and got 17.6 oz.

Maybe edit that page? Or did I miss something?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Ahh..you’re right. That does say “a little over 1 lbs/0.5kg”.  That’s not the best guidance, so I’ll change it from over 1 lbs to under 1.5 lbs. We’ll have the actual specs when it launches in the fall.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Color?

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I agree with Ryan about the one person dcf—with net inner please! (Actually with half solid half net inner…).

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Dan, hope the DCF version isnt miniturized like the GG The Two DCF. I know that was a mfg mistake, but it shrank the interior volume. The Mid 2 is ideal interior. To fit 2 pads of 25″ is the sweetspot. I like a lot of room for those all-day rain days. The Mid 2 is ideal for that.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Agree 100% with Bill. Weight is going down regardless, so why reduce inner width?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

We’re still working though some details like that. The X-Mid 2P feels quite wide for how wide the floor is because the sidewalls of the inner don’t slope inward like most tents. Then for the same floor width a singlewall feels even larger yet because you have space too the fly instead of the inner. I’m not quite sure exactly where it’ll land but I’m leaning towards a tiny bit smaller but still able to hold 2 wide pads (the regular 2P is more like 52-53″ wide and we just spec it at 50″).

Chad O
    BPL Member

@radchad3

Any update on these tents?  I have the X-mid 1P and love it.  Very interested in seeing more pics, pricing, and how things are coming along.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

We’re still hard at work on the X-Mid Pro. The design is very close to done. We have it quite good at this point and we just sweating grams here and there to make it as good as we can. We’re on I think the 8th generation prototype now.

We’re trying hard to have it ready for spring. The main challenge is getting the DCF because DSM that makes DCF are badly backlogged. There’s still some uncertainty there as to when we’ll get the fabric which of course affects the tents, so we haven’t launched the pre-sale yet. Hopefully that’ll all come into focus over the next month or so and we can launch a pre-sale for hopefully spring fulfillment. There is a chance it gets pushed back a few more months due to DCF backlogs but we’re working hard to avoid that. We recommend people sign up here to be notified when it launches.

We’re holding off on specs and pics until we do the launch. It’s turned out very nice and I’m really excited about it. Nothing else at this weight provides nearly the space, quality, and performance. Price will be approximately 2x the regular X-Mid 2P.  Here’s the only picture we’ve released so far:
    x-mid pro

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’m curious about one thing:  Are you still doing this in conjunction with Drop or is this all you and you’ll be doing it under the DurstonGear moniker?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

The X-Mid Pro is 100% Durston Gear (me and my wife basically) so it’ll be sold only on DurstonGear.com. Drop is not affiliated in any way, so I’m doing everything from design, financing, importing, sales, etc. It’s a lot more work this way but also nice to have control over every aspect.

The regular X-Mid’s are transitioning to the same structure. Going forward they will be branded as simply a Durston tent (similar to the above photo of the Pro). Drop is still involved somewhat behind the scenes with the regular models but it is transitioning over as the contract wraps up.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for the info – that was my hope as Drop is now really only doing mechanical keyboards.

Congratulations to you and your wife!  Scary but exciting times.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

In the picture, top left, it looks like you’ve set up a 1 person (xmid?) inner inside. Will this be possible then? People who have your other tents, will they be able to use those inners natively with the Pro?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

The X-Mid Pro is a singlewall tent, so it has the floor/inner sewn in place. The first version to launch is the 2P, so what you’re seeing there is a bit of the sewn in 2P floor.

Chad O
    BPL Member

@radchad3

Thank you Dan for the update!  I wish you luck on this venture.  I really appreciate the attention to detail and getting it right the first time.  I am willing to wait for that!

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

It would be great if an exped duo LW pad would fit like it does in the regular 2p. It’s about 51 and change wide.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Thanks for the clarification Dan. I was aware that it’s being marketed as a single wall, but didn’t know it was going to have an inner, sewn in or otherwise. I’m pumped about that!

Andy B
    BPL Member

@andybee

I’m nervous now that the new Pro will not be able to take 2 long/wide pads. I was looking at the width of a dyneema role and it’s very tight to keep the same internal dimensions as the x-mid 2. Looking forward to the launch and to see this new beast.

Thanks for all the updates Dan.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

Sewn in floor means no possibility of floorless use then I assume?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 190 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools