Topic

Win an experimental Ocelot HX plate for the Pocket Rocket Deluxe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Win an experimental Ocelot HX plate for the Pocket Rocket Deluxe

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

You can’t buy it, but you can win it (as in free, including shipping)! This is an experimental HX Plate that I made for coupling the Pocket Rocket Deluxe (or Pocket Rocket 2) to the Inferno mug. No modifications to the stove are required. You simply fold down the arms to be parallel with the ground, drop the plate over the burner and rotate the burner until it locks in place. The Inferno sits directly on top of the plate. This contest is only open to backpackinglight readers.

How to win this HX Plate, do the following – submit a reply that includes a limerick (with the following stipulation).

– It must be a limerick

– It must contain the word Ocelot at least once

– It cannot contain the work Nantucket

At the end of the month (August 31 at Midnight) the contest will end, and a winner will be randomly selected from all the entries. Only 1 HX Plate will be given away. Best of Luck! – Jon

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

After backpacking near Nantucket
    and trying to cook food in a bucket,
    I saw Jon’s kind offer
    to enlarge my stove coffer
    then reread the rules and said *********.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

I am impressed by how solid a connection that would make.  It’s long been a downside of non-Jetboil stove & pot combinations.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

I am still tweaking the design.  This configuration works well for the Sterno Inferno as the burner head to mug bottom spacing is identical to the spacing with the default legs.  Unfortunately, on other HX mugs, the burner will interfere with the bottoms of the mug.  So this configuration is a one trick pony, a pretty good trick but only works with the Sterno Inferno.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I literally picked up a PRD this weekend…so, okey dokey, here we go:

An ocelot named Lancelot
    once tried to grill a cachalot.
    But he fired his stove
    in a seaside cove
    and the wind blew the damned thing out (a lot).

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I already have a Sterno Inferno pot (it’s my favorite alcohol system) so I’m halfway there…

My pace I always try to quicken
    but my midsection continues to thicken,
    I hydrate my dinner,
    I might have a winner
    This ocelot tastes a lot like chicken!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jon
    You got someone to make up a stamping die for this? OK.
    Was that expensive?
    I ask because I have avoided going down that route for my stoves because of the costs.
    Cheers

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Roger,

I have been using the waterjet process for years.  I have a great vendor who works with me to optimize the job setup in order to keep the cost down.  Below is a sample of my last job.  I hand form the parts as I have been doing that for years as well.  Best regards, – Jon

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hum . . . waterjet eh.
    I have not tried that. I wonder …
    Thanks

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

After re-reading David’s entry, I feel that he should be eligible for the drawing even with his blatant violation of the contest rules…Perhaps a “first post exemption”?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

His limerick wasn’t quite right

The violation was only slight

The spirit was there

It’s great to share

The judge said that the entry’s alright

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

We’re on slippery ground, already, what with all these shenanigans and goings-on…

There once was a man named Jon Fong
    who permitted things that were wrong.
    But an ocelot came slinking,
    and without so much as blinking,
    turned Fong into scrumptious biltong.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Shades of Chaff!
    :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

NM

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Tighten up the rhythm and cut the number of syllables.
    Cheers

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Thank you Kevin and Jon, but I’ll bow out of the drawing.  I have a Sterno Inferno, but not a Pocket Rocket.  I’ll keep sweating the use of my BRS-3000T and the prospect of the Ramen a la Terra Firma.

Mostly I chimed in because I admire the design and implementation and also never pass up a Limmerick or Haiku challenge.

A stove wobbles around
    In winter as we hunger
    Then, Plop!  Nanucket!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

It’s time to prepare food
    A Pocket Rocket stove
    Cold dinner

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

I just got a BRS-3000 yesterday.  I’m…unsure…about it.  Maybe if I did some bending and tweaking and rivet-strengthening I would feel better.  I’m sure there are tutorials for how to un-chintz it, but until I read them I’m going to remain suspect and stay with the PRD.  And I have an Inferno mug around here somewhere, too…so I’m hoping that I either get lucky or the Dingus In Question goes into production.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Bonzo:  You defintely want a good base when using the BRS-3000T.  Its pot supports fit nicely upto the fins of one of my HX pots, so that helps.

Other times, I’ve brought a BRS just as a back-up stove – say on a group trip in winter when I’ve bringing a remote canister stove for its lower more stable burner for use with larger group pots.  I’ve not planning to use it as the primary stove, but its backup and/or used for the second, smaller heating task.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Bonzo

My BRS-3000T (a genuine one, not an Amazon fake) has been in use for maybe 5 years now. A very solid construction – I think even the rivets are titanium. Very reliable too.

Cheers

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Is there an online tutorial for knowing how to spot a fake one?

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

I’m a bit of a limerick noob

And like soup made with bouillion cubes

So I broke out my Ocelot

and took some vids – alot

and posted this up on YouTube…

YouTube video

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Bonzo: you do NOT need a YouTube video for this ! ! ! However, some hints follow.
    First, be aware that there are many clones, and many of them fail in use. I have counted over 12 different fakes on Amazon in the past.

Four things mark the ‘real deal’:
    The BRS logo on the body
    The exact shape of the pot supports
    The little green bag with the BRS logo
    The Ti-coloured burner column
    If it does not have all of these, treat it as a fake, or at least a copy. The picture here shows some of the fakes, and a couple of genuines (top left hand corner). Yes, the genuine BRS-3000T can be marketed under an alternate name: an OEM deal. Best to skip them however.

This is the little green bag:

This shows the logo and the bag:

I have to emphasise: there are many fakes: avoid them. That said, some of the stoves in the bottom rows are good stoves in their own right.

You will find reviews that say the pot supports have failed – melted. These may have been fake versions; they can NOT have been real ones. Why not? because you can NOT melt titanium with a butane/propane flame. The flame does not get hot enough. It’s a chemistry thing. Our own Ryan J reported a ‘melted pot support’, but in fact it was a bracket which bent (not melted), and nothing to do with the pot support.

You may also find reviews which claim the stove ‘failed’ in the field. It would seem from reading further that what actually failed was a dirty canister-sealing O-ring. This falls under the ‘dumb user not looking after his gear’ category. The stove – actually, any small stove, is a precision bit of engineering. Chuck it in the dirt and you get what you deserve.

Cheers

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Oh, okay…so I have the real one.  Good.  It still feels incredibly chintzy. 🤣

My Chinese-made stove
    feels fragile when in my hand.
    Yet, it still ignites.

That’s a classic, from Basho.  Or perhaps his inferior non-contemporary, Bonzo.  It’s hard to tell them apart at times.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

The Pocket Rocket stove isn’t quite so hot

It cooks but it doesn’t match every pot

It’s better than Sterno

But if you’ve got an Inferno

You’ll find that it’s best with an Ocelot

And no–I don’t want to win the contest.  I am quite content with my ancient Pocket Rocket and a found aluminum pot that works just fine for us…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools