Topic

What is ultralight backpacking? (how we talk about ultralight)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable What is ultralight backpacking? (how we talk about ultralight)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: What is ultralight backpacking? (how we talk about ultralight)

To me, ultralight backpacking is the idea that one should solve a problem using as little as possible, but that which is used to solve the problem should be as effective as possible. Defined as such, the actual weight of individual pieces of gear, or one’s pack, matters less, and takes a back seat to the performance-to-weight ratio of a piece of gear.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

As usual, a thought provoking article . . . cheers.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

“Haven’t we changed since the days of whoever dies with the lightest pack wins bumper sticker.”

That is still the mantra over on Reddit/UL

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

With all gear getting lighter it will just be backpacking soon enough. Look at the changes in just the last 15 years.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“whoever dies with the lightest pack wins”

Whoever dies with the lightest pack……………..dies.

Harry Loong Walker
    BPL Member

@hlwalker

I thought this was about backpacking light not ultra light.

I started with weighing all parts of the packing in the nineteen eighties. It was all about being practical. For me the tent had to restrain rain, wind and mosquitoes plus have space depending on the number of people.  Thereafter was the weight an price considered.

Reading about others packing showed what possible during their walks. But it depends much of where and when. If they walk in 20 degrees with no risk of rain and maybe only one or two nights, sure the pack only needs to weigh a few kilos. If you risk much rain and wind, and walks for a week or two, then that demands different equipment.

One survival instructor meant you only need a nice axe and with that one more or less you everything as was needed could be done, why carry food, when the are plenty in the nature. So ultralight packing was heavy in his perspective.

In my perspective it is all about being practical and being able to enjoy the nature, with minimal harming of the nature.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

THE BOTTOM LINE….

“To me, ultralight backpacking is a practice centered around the idea that one should solve a problem using as little as possible, but that which is used to solve the problem should be as effective as possible.”

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

“Ultralight” means two things to me.  One, in the broad sense, it means that I try to keep my pack weight at or below 30 lbs. on trips of up to one week.  Two, it means that I try WITHIN REASON to find the lightest yet most reasonable way to take care of myself on said trips, and that I think about each and every item that I bring….do I need it, and is there are lighter one?  And the more experience I get, I’m less inclined to pack my fears.

Without thinking about how and could I go lighter, I never would have thought I would like a tarp, or a quilt, or trail runners.  Now I seriously enjoy them all.

Ultralight also gives me the option to add back luxury weight.  Within reason.  This could be an enhanced camp kitchen (I love to cook in the backcountry) or a flask of bourbon.  I have done both on 8 day sections hikes of the AT in winter and kept my TPW at or under 30 lbs.  I am 56 and arthritic, so this helps me stay out there now and hopefully for years to come.

Ultralight is about thinking about what you need.  It is NOT about accumulating stuff like we do in real life.  Minimalism vs. consumerism.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I think much of the more valid criticism focus on the term ‘ultralight backpacking’.

With terms like that, including (to a lesser degree) this site’s name, it is logical that there is criticism of being focused on weight to the exclusion of all else, and that it is elitist.

In hindsight, it would have been better if we had a different term, something along the lines of: “intentionally-optimized-techniques-and-gear backpacking”. However, that doesn’t quite roll of the tongue ;-)

Thee are many other pursuits/items that have become named in a poor way:

• many ‘<i>mountain</i> bikers’ ride in the hills or flatlands
    • ‘<i>skaters</i>’ (skateboarders) don’t actually perform a ‘skating’ (lateral push off) motion
    • <i>“entree’s” </i>are not served first<i></i>
    Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

I like the “bottom line” summary, too.  It nicely packages up the philosophy.

I find the Outside Online article referenced in Ryan’s essay somewhat inflammatory and defensive of heavy packs.  The author’s entire argument is framed within the context of her enjoying a day hike with heavy gear.   Nowhere in the editorial piece does she talk about her experience doing a multi-day hike or thru-hike.  Her CVT on Outside Online is three articles that focus on day hikes with her dog.   I wonder if she’s ever really had the “pleasure” of loading six days worth of food & gear into a backpack and carrying it for miles on the trail.   One doesn’t have to be a thru-hiker or even hike 20 mile days to appreciate the decreased discomfort that going lighter provides.

To me, “ultralight” or how I prefer to frame the discussion, “lightweight backpacking”, is more about seeking less discomfort while on the trail than it is about obsessing over spreadsheet or LighterPack totals.

I also like striving for simplicity, and I feel like the LW philosophy helps to reduce clutter in one’s pack.  I’ve watched disorganized backpackers in my group pull everything out of their backpack looking for that “one item” they needed during the rest break, creating that “yard sale” look on the side of the trail in the process.  Clutter and managing too much “stuff” can have a mental cost.

Not that being organized implies Light Weight.  I could have a well organized, clutter-free pack but still carry an 8lb tent and a 5lb sleeping bag! However, I do feel that the goal of reducing weight and the goal of reducing clutter can be complimentary.

Like Ray, I view “Top N” lists with suspicion.  I find the count to be rather arbitrary.  Why 10? Why not 8?  Did you pick 10 just to appease 10 companies with whom you have affiliate links and/or advertising agreements?  It reminds me of Backpacker magazine’s gear awards.  Their categories seem arbitrary, and I feel like they’re picked largely so they can find a slot to highlight every advertiser’s featured piece of gear.

I think this is a good discussion.  I’m not optimistic that it will significantly reduce the judging that occurs on all sides, but it’s still worthwhile.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

The origin of Top X Lists and Best ___ of 2019 lists (i.e., listicles) are from the very well-studied field of “internet content marketing” – which has one goal – to sell you something.

Savvy internet marketers who’ve run a jillion A/B tests have determined that these two types of headlines are some of the most effective headlines you can use in order to invite clicks.

That means if you see someone using these headlines, you know they have read these internet marketing strategies and are employing them to their full potential with the primary motivation of getting ranked higher in search engines (because people search for these terms), and inviting clicks that lead to the sale of something else (ads, affiliate).

I’ve studied these strategies for years, and I loathe them. They are scammy, click-bait-motivated, with the end motivation being to sell something, not provide value.

I’ve even tested a few of them on this community through the years. Guess what, they work. However, this community is savvy and have called us out on them for being scammy, whether sponsored content that provides only advertising for the company, gear guides that only have affiliate links in them and don’t support non-affiliates, or headlines that aren’t honest. You hate them, so I stopped using them. It’s not worth giving up the soul of a community for the primary purpose of maximizing clicks from the outside.

Certainly, there are more creative and more honestly-motivated methods of generating website revenue that preserves trust and respect within a community.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“Certainly, there are more creative and more honestly-motivated methods of generating website revenue that preserves trust and respect within a community.”

Well researched articles, complete with field testing, that contain embedded links to suppliers?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

“the actual weight of individual pieces of gear, or one’s pack, matters less, and takes a back seat to the performance-to-weight ratio of a piece of gear.”

This principle seems easily open to abuse by newbies who interpret it literally, and with the budget /resources to buy many items of ultralight gear, they end up and then carrying heavy 40 lb plus packs for 4 night outings in a Sierra Nevada summer. (seen it happen).

Shannon W
    BPL Member

@skidtz-2-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

This article touches the heart of my present personal and professional struggles. You had me at “As you immerse yourself in an area of study, defining it becomes more nuanced and complex – and irrelevant.”

I don’t know that I have ever commented on an essay in ten-ish years of BPL membership. But I was won over by this one. Grateful to read a well-crafted argument about why resisting the internet-marketing gurus’ “proven techniques” is an acceptable (if not down-right honorable) way to live one’s life.

Thank you.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

So three things:

1. For some reason the article requires me to log in.  When I try to log in, it tells me that I am already logged in. (I am.)  So I can’t read the article,.  eh.
    2. I loved Tom K’s response:“Whoever dies with the lightest pack……………..dies.”
    3.  Light, Cheap, Comfortable. Pick two.  Ultralight requires you to give up one of those three. Yeah, you can focus on multi-use equipment and all the rest, but in the end, pushing the envelope is pushing the envelope.  And as just about everyone here has noted, pushing the envelope isn’t always a perfect solution to everything, just some things.
    Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“Light, Cheap, Comfortable. Pick two.  Ultralight requires you to give up one of those three. Yeah, you can focus on multi-use equipment and all the rest, but in the end, pushing the envelope is pushing the envelope.  And as just about everyone here has noted, pushing the envelope isn’t always a perfect solution to everything, just some things.”

This is a difficult for most Americans, used to having it all, to grasp, and runs against the grain of our current culture.  Personally, I think one could use it as a starting point for developing a philosophy of life.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I borrowed that from a graphic designer who used to work for me.  Hers said:  quick cheap, good, pick two.

And the next guy had one that said:  Our rates:  $50/hr.  $75 if you watch.  $100 if you help.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

“Light, Cheap, Comfortable. Pick two.  Ultralight requires you to give up one of those three. Yeah, you can focus on multi-use equipment and all the rest, but in the end, pushing the envelope is pushing the envelope.  And as just about everyone here has noted, pushing the envelope isn’t always a perfect solution to everything, just some things.”

This is a difficult for most Americans, used to having it all, to grasp, and runs against the grain of our current culture.  Personally, I think one could use it as a starting point for developing a philosophy of life.

Gosh, so many people over analyze, stress over insignificant things, and generally waste a good portion of their lives dwelling on the unimportant. More thoughts here…

http://popupbackpacker.com/how-many-miles-did-you-hike/

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

And perhaps we should just quit using these labels

Bruce Warren
    BPL Member

@aimee-2

Being old, I started backpacking using cheap WWII surplus gear bought at Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri. It was heavy, but I was young, so no matter. Hike the Grand Canyon with a 65lb pack… no problem. That made my hiking muscles stronger for the rest of my life.

To me, ultralight backpacking was a movement that taught hikers 1) there is lighter gear out there than the army/hunting stuff you are using, and 2) you do not need all the comforts of home while camping. “But I must read my favorite Bible every night”… buy a tiny Bible. “But I can’t sleep without my favorite pillow”… sleep with the tiny camp pillow at home until you adjust. “But I love pan fried fish”… start eating dehydrated food at home to adjust. “But I can’t wear dirty sweaty clothes”… just do it!

The only real silliness I saw, and still see, in the Ultralight Backpacking theater is ‘Base Weight’. The only weight that matters is what the pack on your back weighs as you set out down the trail. Claiming a new low in ‘base weight’ is purely a technical boasting contest with no real world usefulness.

Say you and your clothes weigh 180lbs and your pack weighs 45lbs. That is 225lbs your legs must move along the trail. If you reduce your ‘Base Weigh’ to 8 lbs from 10 lbs last trip, then you have reduced your trail weight by 0.8 percent! Wow! Your legs are sure gonna feel so much better.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Say you and your clothes weigh 180lbs and your pack weighs 45lbs. That is 225lbs your legs must move along the trail.

My new favorite metric is taking total body weight + total starting weight of all gear, worn/carried/in pack + consumables, etc. Let’s call this W.

Now using some type of body composition measurement device, maybe a bioelectric impedance scale, and determine your skeletal muscle mass. Let’s call this M.

Now determine your Ultralight Rank (U):

U = M / W

So take a hypothetical human with a bodyweight of 150 lb, M = 60 lb, dry weight of gear = 15 lb, packed for a weeklong trip with 15 lb of food.

That makes W = 150 + 15 + 15 = 180, so U = 60 / 180 = 0.33. What a rockstar. ULAF.

Now take someone with the same amount of muscle but now he’s kind of a fatter fellow, which means his clothes are a little bigger, so bodyweight is 170 lb, M = has 60 lb, dry weight of gear = 17 lb, food = 15 lb.

That makes W = 170 + 17 + 15 = 202, so U = 60 / 202 = 0.30. My god, that’s low.

Hopefully, this post emphasizes the folly of numbers. Maybe it even validates Bruce’s base weight silliness claim.

In reality, if you are looking to really study the metrics behind lightening your pack, stick with total gear weight. Base weight does seem pretty ridiculous. The idea that “the gear you wear shouldn’t count because it’s closer to your center of gravity” really doesn’t hold up to a strong scientific argument. When you do the calculations, see that there are very few meaningful differences, you start to realize that the argument is a bit contrived and kind of dumb – which frees you to take all that crap out of your pockets and put it back in your pack 😂

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Take what you need to enjoy the walk, but don’t pack your fears.

Cheers
    PS: this does justify a bag of brandy-soaked cherry chocolates. :)

Bruce Warren
    BPL Member

@aimee-2

Good analysis. The total weight and the center of gravity are both important. But when your knees are trashed from motocross racing, what matters is the total weight pushing down on those abused meniscus. Seems like most customers of mine have some part of their body that is defective… spine, hip, knee, shoulder, etc. If you are a fit 22 year old hiker, you can do things like run down the trail with a 40lb pack. Soldiers carry a 100lbs. Ultralight backpacking helps those of us who strive to do more with a body that is doing less.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

This article is so welcome on a website dedicated to equipment. I read it when it came out and couldn’t recall what I’d read like it before. Over the weekend I picked up Colin Fletcher’s, <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>The New Complete Walker</span>, that my sister gave me for Christmas in 1974, and read this in the first chapter titled, “Why Walk?”:

“The important thing, then, about running your tight little outdoor economy is that it must not run you. You must learn to deal with the practical details so efficiently that they become second nature. Then, after the unavoidable shakedown period, you leave yourself free to get on with the important things—watching cloud shadows race across a mountainside or passing the time of day with a hummingbird or discovering that a grasshopper eats grass like spaghetti or sitting on a peak and think of nothing at all except perhaps that it is a wonderful thing to sit on a peak and think of nothing at all.
    The second pitfall is more subtly camouflaged. Naturally, your opinions on equipment and technique must never fossilize into dogma: your mind must remain open to the possibilities of better gear and to new and easier ways of doing things. You try to strike a balance, of course—to operate efficiently and yet to remember always, that the practical details are only a means to an end. But I am not altogether convinced that after years and years of it—when you have at last succeeded in mastering most of the business and people have begun to call you an expert and someone may even ask you to write a book on the subject—I am not at all sure that it is then possible to avoid the sobering discovery that you have become, ex officio, a very tolerably accomplished fuddy-duddy.”

In 1971 I used visqueen. Now I use dyneema. Backpacking as light as practical has always been the objective. The important thing is to get out and do it.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

“Identity culture, compartmentalization, and simplification through definitions are not inherently bad things. However, acknowledging their presence and recognizing their limitations is necessary if we are to release our hold upon them, and advance our sport and our community culture. Setting aside identities and the criteria that define them will allow us to foster a community that is open to new members, new ideas, and new methods that we can add to our growing arsenal of chaotic and unordered tools that we affectionately know as ultralight backpacking.”

Cheers Ryan.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools