Topic

What is ultralight backpacking? (how we talk about ultralight)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable What is ultralight backpacking? (how we talk about ultralight)

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

>> SUL, is ALL about weight. UL is more about efficiency.
    Me, I would say it is all about enjoyment. Which covers both.

Cheers

Harry Loong Walker
    BPL Member

@hlwalker

My wife beats all of you. She is USUL – Ultra Super Ultra Light.
    I carry it all, so she does not need to carry anything but has all comfortable stuff she wants.
    /Harry

Enyaw
    Spectator

@enyaw

I only do lightweight backpacking.  My definition of “ultralight” is a 40 liter bag with minimalist gear that doesn’t look comfortable or enjoyable.  More power to those that can do it, but I can’t.

Kenneth S
    Spectator

@woundhealer

Ultra light is to each its own. I consider it carrying less then I usually would but staying safe.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I (or someone else) may have said this before:
    Don’t pack your fears.

Sure, UL gear is important, but carrying very little gear and NO extra ‘just in case’ items, is probably more important.

Of course, it is not that simple. The normal scale we use here is
    Novice
    Light-weight
    Ultra-light-weight UL
    Super-ultra-light-weight SUL
    Stupid Light

Going SUL requires a lot of experience which has to be earned in the field over the years. It can’t be taught. The transition from SUL to Stupid Light is rather easy, but sometimes fatal.

‘They were traveling so light that they didn’t even bring any common sense with them.’
    Bob Gross, BPL (re 2 teenagers in the snow)

Cheers

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I definitely started at novice, after resuming backpacking in middle age after a career-and-kids hiatus. I didn’t mind the 45 pound pack when I was 24! Well, I did actually mind it, I just put up with it anyway, along with the giant heel blisters from my leather boots. Buying lighter gear got me to the lightweight level. To get to ultra light definitely required unpacking my fears and still depends on where and when I go. A winter snowshoe to a cabin 7 miles out on an unmarked trail simply isn’t going to be ultra light for me, ever; it can be 25F on the way out, and minus 25F with the wind blowing on the return, no matter what the forecast. But unpacking fears helped lighten the summertime load, and you all have been very helpful in that regard.

I think at this point I am as light as I will probably get (oh maybe a few more ounces here or there), and I won’t make it to SUL, which is fine with me. While I’m not packing extras due to fear, I am packing extras to enjoy the experience. For example, a stove for hot food and coffee, but NOT an extra gas canister, knowing I can deal with cold coffee and cold soak if I happen to run out, but I’ll enjoy the ability to cook while I have it. An extra pair of socks for sleeping, but not three-four pairs. One extra days concentrated calories, but not a full extra day’s meals or more, because I know I can go without food for a while if I have to (done that!). I’ve lightened the first aid kit some, and the toiletries significantly. Multipurpose items have helped a lot too. Sometimes I bring camp sandals, some times I don’t bother. I always enjoy them when I have them!

If someone in my group wants to carry 50 pounds and bring along fresh salsa, guac and chips for the group, they’re welcome to come along! I still sometimes bring a 750 ml wine bag! so worth it and makes ramen marinara so much tastier.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

A winter snowshoe to a cabin 7 miles out on an unmarked trail simply isn’t going to be ultra light for me,
    Yeah, that was one point I missed.
    UL for the conditions and my experience.

Carry stuff to handle the possibility of some ‘adverse conditions’ (ahem) is NOT packing your fears. It is ‘using your experience’.

A second point I missed:
    Going UL is NOT a competition for points. Under benign conditions it may just be a ‘walk in the park’; under adverse conditions it may be a competition for survival.
    Always remember: ‘nature does not care’.

As for going without hot food (let alone hot coffee) at -25 F – fergeddit.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 82 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools