Topic

Seek Outside Flight Pack [was Upcoming light packs from SO]

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seek Outside Flight Pack [was Upcoming light packs from SO]

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 409 total)
  • Author
    Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

Hey Mike

Volume
    Packbag: 3200 cubic inches | 52 L
    Front Pocket: 534 cubic inches | 9L
    Bottle Pockets: Fits one nalgene or two 1L smart water bottles
    Dimensions
    Top Circumference: 41”
    Middle Circumference: 39”
    Bottom Circumference: 35”
    Unrolled Height: 35″

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

thanks!

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Anyone that has hands-on with this pack mind taking a couple measurements? I’m looking for the width of the gap between the shoulder straps and the length of the shoulder straps from attachment point to the buckle where it meets the webbing. Thank you!!

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

The inner width at attachment is 3 inches, but they curve a bit. Also important to note, the straps are purposefully attached in a way the allows them to auto articulate to your traps.

The length of straps is different on a 22 and 24 frame. On a 24 inch frame they are 18 inches long

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Will – I actually thought that the Flight belt was one of the best features of the backpack. I would go the other way around – take the Flight belt and put it on the classic frame – mainly because if you are not a hunter carrying insane amount of loads, the Flight belt should be good enough for backpacking loads….:-) And it has 2 pockets!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

not sure you could run the Flight belt without modification; their bigger packs utilize a free floating belt attached via small bolts

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Yep – will need some modifications….it is less wide which I like. And not that burly.

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

Kevin, thanks for the reply.

Murali, I agree the Flight belt and pockets look very appealing (and I’ll likely use them for backpacking) but my use case for the PALS belt is on my go bag as a disaster relief medic; the Seek Outside belt is the first PALS belt I’ve had where I can load it down with a full CT STOMP FAK on one side, 2 Thyrm cellvaults, a full dump pouch, and various things hung from grimlocs on the other and not have it try to peel away from my hips.

Based on this thread I believe I’ve found my new 3-season pack. Thanks to all who have been reporting their experiences.

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thank you, Kevin! Ignore the message I sent through the SO site :)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The Flight hipbelt pockets were by far the best I have ever used, and I feel like I’ve used packs and hipbelt pockets made by about everyone.  They were big enough to be useful, but not so big as to get in the way and they opened and closed easily with one hand.  Not many packs can say that.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Has anyone tried fitting a Bearikade Expedition in the pack? I have read that a Weekender will fit vertically.

The circumferences listed make it seem like an Expedition should fit just fine in the upper half of the pack, but the frame does look very curved.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

@johnnyh88 I only have a BV450 on-hand and of course it fits fine whichever way.

BV450 horrizontally

BV450 vertically

Someone asked me about the size of the pockets:

Nalgene & bike bottle

32 oz. wide-mouth Nalgene & bike bottle

Plus a beer. (Only for demonstration. Never bring glass!)

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

@feetfirst Thanks, based on the BV450 picture and how much room there seems left, I am guessing an Expedition would fit fine (or at least as well as it fits in any other pack).

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Will

Our standard belt will work. You would likely want to cut of the un needed straps and gromments but it tucks in well and at least here, I had someone weight it pretty well for me and it gripped well

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

Thanks for checking it out, Kevin. Ordered my xpac Flight on Friday!

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

What holds the standard belt in place? Doesn’t the dedicated Flight belt have large velcro surfaces to transfer the load?

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

You are correct .. tight fit basically and shape. It could be a problem but has not been. Basically the wings sort or curve so that helps.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

I guess I meant what holds the non-Flight belt to the body of the Flight pack? There is the lumbar flap that folds up and over the Flight belt, but the Flight belt itself has a large velcro surface that interfaces with the pack body and the lumbar flap. None of that exists on the standard (Revolution) belt.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Phillip

You are correct. As I said it’s mostly shape. It has not been an issue the times we have tried it. It requires some effort to get the belt under neath the lumbar pad . Having it move is a possibility but I have not seen it

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Okay I think I understand. I thought maybe we were talking past each other but now I see you had answered my question. Cheers.

DirtNap
    BPL Member

@dirtnap

Locale: SLC

Kevin, I saw you mention the possible use of a Talon. I’d like  to get a little more info on how to integrate one to these packs. Any feedback? I do all sorts of wandering that might include major fishing rigs packrafts, bikes, climbing equipment etc. I really like the idea of that integration.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

@dirtnap

They use our standard connections. Lids and Talons will work if you need extra volume or to use them for something specific

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

It was mentioned up thread that the flight belt is flexibly connected to the body with Velcro, allowing for free pelvic movement. This connection sounds similar to that of the Ohm 2.0.

Can anyone compare the freedom of motion characteristics of these two packs?

The Ohm 2.0 is as good as I’ve tried short of packs with full on pivoting hip belts. If the flight moves similarly…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

My Ohm days were too long ago to make a direct comparison; I can tell you the Flight is very comfy and the waist belt is not connected directly to the pack except at the lumbar pad (behind the lumbar pad) via velcro- so it pivots just fine.

I can also say that as well as the Ohm carried (and it carried well), the Flight definitely has the edge when carrying more than 20 lbs and carries just as well at 20 lbs or under.

Weight and volume are pretty close to a push, I prefer the X21 fabric of the Flight.  The Flight side pockets are deeper and the belt pockets are extra roomy.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Thanks Mike. Flight, as you say, offers a lot for 2-3 extra ozs: capacity, upper limit, barrel-resistance, water resistance (although Ohm can now be bought in xpac), some ventilation.

I’ve found that free pelvic & shoulder movement is the most important pack character for me. Currently using an old Black Diamond pack with pivoting belt and sliding shoulder straps for most trips. But it has poor volume/weight and the belt sags under moderate load (as Will Reitveld pointed out in his BPL review long ago). Looking for something bigger, lighter and nearly as articulated. Flight might be it.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 409 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools