Topic

Seek Outside Flight Pack [was Upcoming light packs from SO]

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seek Outside Flight Pack [was Upcoming light packs from SO]

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 409 total)
  • Author
    Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Mike M, glad to hear the tweaks yielded fruit.  Do you know if a BV500 will fit (up high) horizontally inside the pack?  I saw where Philip at Section Hiker fit a Garcia can up high inside & didn’t look too tight.  Thanks!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I do not- sorry; everything is hung here, evidently our bears aren’t as smart

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Mike M – thanks anyway.  Not sure how smart our bears are here around Asheville, I’ve seen my share, but re canisters – we can’t leave home without it.  Unfortunately.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Does anyone know how a bear can (BV500/450) fits in the SO Flight & where??  Philip over at Section Hiker shows a Garcia can fit horizontally in the extension collar & the SO website states a BV500 fits vertically but I think it has to be above the intrusion bar (?).

What are the internal stow options for a BV500 in the Flight?  Any insight is appreciated!

Steve

DirtNap
    BPL Member

@dirtnap

Locale: SLC

Hi guys I’m gonna swing on this puppy as SO has their 10% off special running. Been reading about the hip belt issues for smaller waists. Well, let’s just say I don’t have that problem. I’m a 37 at the iliac crest. Trying to figure out which belt to buy. One: up to 26-38″. Two: 36-48″. Seems like the belts ride large so maybe the one belt is best?

Al G
    BPL Member

@alg

Anyone have direct experience comparing the SO Flight pack with a McHale Bump or LBP?
    Anyone in Seattle area have a SO Flight, I can check out?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I carried a prototype Seek Outside Flight and have a McHale LBP36.  I haven’t carried the McHale in a few years but both carried really well.  The McHale is made like no other – truly built to last a lifetime – but it’s heavy for what it is and mine is stripped down quite a bit (no lid, kangaroo pocket, no bayonets, etc and I still think it’s 52oz.  The Flight I tested was 34oz if I remember correctly, so it’s a pretty big difference.  My McHale is a work of art, but I rarely carry it because loaded out for a week with a bear can my total pack weight is 25-26lbs and I have a hard time adding the weight of the pack when a lighter pack carries the weight as well.  When I needed a pack for a two week trip in Alaska and I realized my McHale wouldn’t be big enough,  I tried a bunch of packs and ended up with the Seek Outside Unaweep 4800 (The Divide in it’s current configuration wasn’t out) and it’s the most comfortable pack I’ve ever carried, including the McHale and the Unaweep is lighter (after some trimming).

My general suggestions to people for lightweight week long packs are the Seek Outside Flight and the SWD Long Haul 50.

Al G
    BPL Member

@alg

Thanks Brad. That helps a lot. I wish I could try the Flight or Divide in Seattle area. I will order the Flight. Next decision is full spectra grid or the Pack/Spectra. I use the HMG pods and bags so thinking the Spectra grid to gain better abrasion resistance and more supple feel

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The prototype I used was X-Pac X21RC which has a lot of nice attributes but is a stiff material.  The front pocket and water bottle pockets of the pack I used were the Spectra Grid but it was uncoated and I think the production version uses a coated version.  The uncoated version was soft and had a very supple hand.

Packs can be a very subjective thing, but I liked the Flight a lot.  It’s a really different pack but the Unaweep is really comfortable too, but overkill for most of my trips.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

The Flight makes a good packrafting pack. I like to carry my packraft on the outside (bottom) of the pack. I do this for a for a few reasons. It’s one of the denser items and having it down low is nice given my nearly constant off-trail travel. It allows me to have a shorter overall pack height which helps when dealing with thick alders or low spruce branches. Since a lot of my trips necessitate many paddle-hike transitions in a typical day, it keeps me from needing to put a freshly wetted boat inside my pack over and over. Also, I don’t need a bigger pack just for packrafting trips. One size fits most. This doesn’t just apply to the Flight- I do the same with my Gila.

I’ll add this video to the Flight thread: A Trip to Monk’s Lagoon.

Al G
    BPL Member

@alg

I ordered the Flight full Spectra Grid 24″. Look forward to comparing with my McHale LBP40.

DirtNap
    BPL Member

@dirtnap

Locale: SLC

Spectra here too. Still haven’t broken it in. I’m done wearing holes in my pack bottom and pockets.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Hey Philip (sorry off topic) I’m trying to figure out which tent that is in the video. I’ve seen it in a few of your videos now

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Hey Philip (sorry off topic) I’m trying to figure out which tent that is in the video. I’ve seen it in a few of your videos now

TT Aeon Li?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Correct. It’s an excellent shelter.

Cheers.

Al G
    BPL Member

@alg

Just watched your video Philip. Stunning. Inspiring. Can’t wait to get to Alaska. Good showcase of adventures can do with pack rafting.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

TT Aeon Li?

Yup, that’s what I was leaning towards. The TT website photos just didn’t look the same.

Correct. It’s an excellent shelter.

Thank you

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I have a Seek Outside Revolution 6,300 and love their backpacks. I’ve been considering the Flight One.  I’m used to having a Gatorade bottle in one of the two pockets on the 6,300 and reaching back to get it on the fly.

The Flight One, with its tall pockets, looks like I have to remove the pack or be a double-jointed contortionist to get at a water bottle.

Am I wrong about this or have others been able to reach a bottle on the fly?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

I have very flexible shoulders and have never had bottle pocket problems, but with the Flight it’s a nightmare to get the bottle out, but even more so to get it back in. I slouch the pack to the bottle side when I reach for it, but still I fumble the handoff too frequently. I did some sewing and made the pocket elastic adjustable and relaxed it so it didn’t suck tight against the pack body. That helped a lot. But they are unnecessarily tall and tight.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

In the prototype I tested I couldn’t get a Gatorade bottle (what I normally use) in and out of the pockets but I could get a Smartwater bottle in and out of one of the pockets without issue.  I’m not very flexible either.   As part of my feedback I suggested lower and slightly larger water bottle pockets, which I believe made their way into the production version.  The Seek Outside guys are great guys, perhaps calling and talking to them can help you decide.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

I think after reading through this thread, someone like me with a 21.5-22” torso measurement should look elsewhere…

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

The bottle pockets on the Flight

Over the years, several people have contacted us and complained about our standard bottle pockets saying we were missing the boat and should make taller pockets for smart water bottles because that is what “everyone” uses … so we created a poll on the pockets on our FB adventures group. The poll was essentially would you rather have a reachable pocket sized for a Nalgene or a tall pocket that you likely could not reach. The results were a taller pocket, with many folks saying they can’t reach pockets anyway or use some other strategy for water. Thus that was our decision. Now, I can reach those pockets with my off hand , so for instance I can get bottles in the left pocket with my right hand.

However, we get a lot of feedback now from customers wanting a pocket more like our standard pocket. Enter Flight two. Flight 2 should be available in a few weeks and will have bottle pockets similar to our pockets on the Gila / Divide etc however they will have a new concept that allows for easier access and you should be able to reach back and grab or seat say a 48 ounce Nalgene if desired.

Other changes to the Flight series

– Shrinking Belt sizes by about 2 inches

– Double up the pack bottom for additional durability

– Slight changes / improvements on the harness

– Addition of the Flight two , which also will have a mesh rear pocket and adjustable shock cord pockets

– Water bottle on the sleeve option for sport or smart water bottles

Kevin

Joe M
    BPL Member

@txaggie

Kevin,

Do you plan on any adjustments to the frame for the Flight 2? I’m looking for a new winter pack and the Flight is on my short list, but the 2 might be more fitting since I’m on the smaller end of the waist size. Looking forward to seeing the new version.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

even if the frame wasn’t adjustable, but offered in two sizes- medium and tall????

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

The belt size changes will be on all Flight packs.

No frame size changes yet. We considered going 22 /25 or 22/24/26 but in the end, we make a very good pack with an adjustable frame height that people can always order if they are on the taller end and the way to change the frame height as Phillip and Mike have done is published and not that hard of a DIY project. Once you get into the height, its sort of a Goldy locks and people like to really tweak it. Currently it is offered in 22 / 24

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 409 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools