Topic

Seek Outside Flight Pack [was Upcoming light packs from SO]

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seek Outside Flight Pack [was Upcoming light packs from SO]

Viewing 9 posts - 401 through 409 (of 409 total)
  • Author
    Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

Any chance the Flight 2 will have a sewn-in belt? I’d really dig that.

DirtNap
    BPL Member

@dirtnap

Locale: SLC

On the water pocket thing, I too have always had a Smart Water bottle in a side pocket but it never really works great for any of my longer journeys where I have the pockets occpied by other gear (ie, fishing poles, paddle, etc). So I just switched to a Water Bottle Sleeve by Chicken Tramper Gear (GGG). I look forward to having immediate access to my water now. I’ll have to find other places for the various other things I usually hang there. So file me  among the ones who really like the deeper more secure pockets, especially for packrafting.

So, of COURSE there is a Flight 2 coming just as I got my Flight! Is the Flight 2 viewed as a V2 of the original Flight or more of its own model? I like the idea of  the double thickness bottom. But I’m done with mesh anything on a pack. Although I’d consider a mesh pocket setup if the mesh was replaceable. I destroy that stuff way too fast.

Shelley C
    BPL Member

@schacon

@stumphges regarding 8/7/20 post regarding rotated shoulder straps digging in:

“The shoulder straps lay in an inwardly rotated position across my traps, such that the inside edges digs into my traps near my neck and the outside edges lift off my shoulders. This happens with the load lifters tightened and loose”

Well did you fix the problem, return the pack??  I have this problem with most packs (I assume, maybe incorrectly, that the shoulder straps attach too far apart to the pack.  Do you like the pack?

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

No on sewn in belt.

Not a V2 but own model. Mesh, is funny, we avoid it in Flight One and people complain about not having it. Our mesh, is heavy duty.

I think bottle pocket on a sleeve is a very good option, and we are offering that as well.

Our straps have some rotation built in so they should auto adjust to most peoples traps. For me , it is hard to comment without photos. That would be best handled through our CS

Bob B
    BPL Member

@thegrizz

Wondering about some of the conflicting feedback on this pack…

Some folks seem to love the carry, saying it outperforms their HMG, Arc Blast/Haul, ULA Ohm 2.0, etc… but some folks also seem to have complaints about the hip belt sagging at ~30Lbs.

In photos the hip-belt-to-pack attachment looks similar to the previous Gossamer Gear Mariposa belt. I put a few hundred miles on that pack and one of the major weaknesses was how the belt would roll/compress/sag.  (FWIW, GG has since updated the belt such that the frame rods can be inserted directly into the belt: https://blogpackinglight.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/img_2130.jpg?w=474)

The Flight 2 seems pretty darn sweet, so I’m wondering how bad the belt sag situation really is?

Also wondering if anyone has heard of SO making any changes to the belt attachment? They seem to be responding to customer feedback very promptly as they dial in this pack, which is AWESOME!

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Hi Bob

Short answer sort of  is,  we hear a lot of people comment that 40 – 50 + is fine . The less than 40 is more vocal. Most of our internal testing is 40 + BUT .. at 30 -35 plus the big pack starts to be better .. but compared to packs in the similar weight range it outperforms them easily. That being said, in our deep dive to the ones who said it did not carry .. most were at the edges of fit range .. so we did adjust belts smaller but we did not adjust frame size options .. and here is the reason why. The Flight series is a streamline compliment to the larger packs .. which can do almost anything anyone wants them to .. so more extreme ends of the fit range are not covered. Maybe someday we will cover those ends when we have enough production staff to introduce more SKUs.  In the current environment, SKU reduction has been a big big desire of ours as it allows more predictive builds and faster, more stable delivery. In the past , we have tried to balance those deliverables 50/50 .. but now we are leaning more to the fast , focused delivery.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Kevin, what parts of the Flight Two bottle pockets are patent pending? They look similar to almost all the scalloped versions I’ve seen in the past.

Scott H
    BPL Member

@cbk57

I like the look of the bottle pockets on the flight 2, I bought my flight before the 2 was out.  My solution though is a bottle holder on the chest strap.  I purchased the seek outside bottle holster but really the strap design seems opposite the way the loos are designed on the flight series.  I have made it work but it seems like Seek outside needs a bottle holster or two designed for the shoulder straps on the flight pack.  I just purchase a used flight for my son and ordered a gossamer gear bottle carrier to see if I like their version.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

The bottom extends lower by about 2.5 inches, allowing better ability to reach taller bottles such as smart water bottles.

Viewing 9 posts - 401 through 409 (of 409 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools