Topic

Seek Outside Flight Pack [was Upcoming light packs from SO]

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seek Outside Flight Pack [was Upcoming light packs from SO]

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 409 total)
  • Author
    Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Philip, sounds like SO might need to make a 26” frame size. My torso is 17” and the 22” frame is perfect for me with the belt in the conventional position. I tried it worn low (top edge of belt about level with top edge of iliac crest) and now the load lifters are at 20 deg or so. A 24” frame might be perfect for me with that belt position. (And I may go that route, as I prefer the low position for unhindered breathing; the belt is pretty comfortable at the low position too, probably due to the dual-pull belt, which allows one to alter the shape of the belt a little by tweaking the top and bottom radii).

Like to add that I agree with John Solomon, above, regarding the belt attachment and the way this allows for pretty good pelvic movement. Compared the Ohm 2.0, which has a similar belt attachment but also a much more flexible frame, I find the Flight One to allow nearly as free movement of the pelvic during gait and side-bending of the spine.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I’ve done another trip with the Flight now carrying my full packraft kit. I did more paddling than hiking miles, but I’m still happy with the way my modified pack rides with 4 day’s rations on board. A few tweaks to the hip belt interface for 35# plus loads, and this would be a ‘quiver-killer’ pack for all but <UL applications.

See it here: Packrafting Shuyak Island

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ would you mind posting a few pics of what you did to lengthen the frame?

thanks

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Okay. I hope Kevin doesn’t get annoyed with my constant tinkering, but I just can’t help myself. ;^)

Here’s the stock frame. I think it’s a 22″ with a couple of 2″ spacers slid into the upper tube to raise the upper cross bar to 24″:

I found some old tent poles where the ferrule end slips nicely into the SO upper tube and the main part of the pole slips perfectly over the solid lower SO frame rod. The SO frame rod is actually resting on the part of the ferrule inside the tent pole, so I actually had to trim a little bit off the lower SO frame to achieve the height I wanted. In the meantime I cut the tent pole sections shorter since all the overlap was unnecessary.

I added a grosgrain strip across the back panel to make it look cleaner and reinforce the material when I added the new load lifters. You can see the original black webbing loop 2 inches below the new load lifter. After I was happy with my mod I used dykes to cut the original ladder locks off:

This is what the inside looks like. I just sewed the trampoline to the back panel 2″ higher than the original seam. That’s the lower of the 2 stitches holding the grosgrain in place.

Reinstalled and tensioned:

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

Shuyak Island looks so beautiful!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Thank you Sir- very nice work!

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

“Shuyak Island looks so beautiful!”

Darn tootin’ :^)

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Great work Phillip.  I hope that Kevin and gang add a taller frame as an option.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

We will see. It depends on requests, because we already offer packs that have a taller frame option. The flight was intended more as a compliment, and to address areas the other packs maybe didn’t address as well (scrambling etc, and to fit smaller framed people better) .

Right now, we will just gather feedback and then as time permits prioritize what we think works well for the users and for production. We also may send out some user specific surveys ..which is your chance to provide direct feedback (these will likely go out via email or be posted on our facebook seek outside adventures group).

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Kevin- if the 24” frame utilizes a 2” extension, would it be possible to get a 4” extension made?

I know a bloke that can sew (he used to work for you) :)

Thanks

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

yes .. it would take a few days .. @mtwarden

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

I love my Divide, and was looking at the Flight as a lighter-weight option for short trips. Best as I can tell, I have a 21″ torso, and use 2″ extensions on the Divide (4″ for one very heavily-laden 13-day trip with water carries and no resupplies). Not sure if it’s worth trying the 24″ Flight, or holding out for a 26″. I love the ability to get the load off my shoulders on the Divide, and want the same for the Flight.

Also considering SWD Long Haul 50, the Large of which is sized for 21″ torsos, and weighs ~half a pound less than the Flight. I imagine it won’t carry as well (can anyone touch SO for load transfer?), but not sure how much difference that would make for 25 pounds or less total load. I’m interested in anyone’s thoughts between the Flight and LH50.

Alex F
    BPL Member

@frosty_1

I received my 24″ Flight.  I think I would prefer a 26″ version and am debating sending it back for a Divide.  This is my first pack from SO.  Build quality is very good and it is comfy, I just wish for more height on load lifters.  I am coming from heavy Kifaru packs, so this thing is crazy light to me.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

@redgum: If you’re north of Seattle, you’re welcome to stop by and try on my LH50 with a load in it. It’s only a medium so not your size, but still should give you an idea on weight transfer. I think it transfers weight well (I don’t have a Flight so can’t compare, but do have a Divide for winter trips, which transfers the weight fabulously).

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

Thanks, Doug. I’m in Seattle – will ping you next time I’m heading North. Where are you?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Arlington.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Even on the Divide when you use extensions, sometimes the bottom bar can hit your butt.  The extensions move the bag up. Instead, why not provide small nub extensions where the frame attaches to the bag and the attach the extensions to the nubs and then attach the load lifters to the extenders. This way, the bag doesn’t move up. Just the load lifters. The same concept can be applied to Flight as well. For Flight it can mean just one frame with extensions to match what people want.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

So I have a flight that fits me well. I love everything about the pack but have one problem:

The shoulder straps lay in an inwardly rotated position across my traps, such that the inside edges digs into my traps near my neck and the outside edges lift off my shoulders. This happens with the load lifters tightened and loose. I’ve not had this problem with a pack before.

Anyone experienced similar and does anyone have a solution? I’m leaving tomorrow for a week-long trip and at this point will have to leave the Flight behind unless I get this figured out.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

A couple of us bopped up to the Kodiak Island Search and Rescue (kisar.org) mountain training hut for an overnighter to do some maintenance. It was my first trip with a lightly-loaded Flight in rock-scrambling alpine terrain. This is what the pack really likes to do.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Kevin, when do you think you’ll be able to do some custom work again? And would you consider putting top side pockets, in addition to the bottom water bottle pockets, as a custom option?

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

@doug-i
    No idea on custom work. No idea on high side pockets. I’ll know more in a few weeks honestly. Currently design and stuff is pretty much on the back burner.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Thanks Kevin.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

just got back from a 100-ish mile trip across the Bob Marshall- probably at least a 1/4 off trail with lots of scrambling

the pack performed really well, still need a smaller waist belt and I’m not overly skinny; if you were skinny no way would the smaller waist belt work

still will lengthen the frame 2″ as well

it’s a very good pack, but needs a few tweaks imo- why settle for very good, when perfect is so close :)

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

I second that, Mike. Need a smaller waist belt option. And the pack is very close to perfect, yes.

Rob
    BPL Member

@grubbster

Absolutely agree with a smaller waist belt.  No way would it fit someone with a 28″ inch waist like is claimed.  I’m 31″ and have it adjusted as small as it will go and still can’t get it tight enough.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 409 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools