Topic

Ultralight Toaks Titanium Pots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Toaks Titanium Pots

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

There are MYOG options if you order some .005″ Ti sheet from TiGoat. The only tools needed are scissors and a paper hole punch.

If you use a stove with its own pot supports—such as Dan’s Starlyte or Fancee Feest—you can achieve the same effect of the partial cone without a ribbed pot.

My experience is that the partial cone does not provide the fuel efficiency of a full cone but is significantly more effective than the usual straight windscreen. And it fits inside the pot, which is a point I’m rather obsessive about… just – gotta – have everything in one neat little package.

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

You don’t need Ti. to create a conical windshield for alcohol stoves.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

True, but I like the properties of Ti and the flexibility to use it with any fuel.

The cone pictured above weighs 17.6g… I have no idea what something identical in dimensions made with Al would weigh, nor what the optimal variety of Al for the job might be… which alloy, what thickness, where to obtain in small quantities??

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Full screen compared to partial screen? I think that the differences are marginal.  A very efficient alcohol / Esbit stove is maybe 60% efficiency.  That means that 40% of the energy is loss to the surrounding area: the ground, windscreen, etc.  There is a real easy test for this, can you put your hands on the exposed sections of a pot while the stove is on?  Not unless you have hands of steel.

If the wind is blowing hard you might lose efficiency, but you’re going to anyway as the wind will cause your stove to burn faster causing it to drop in efficiency.  With either style of windscreen, you should be setting up out of the wind, windscreens help but good site selection is best.

My 2 cents

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

“The thinner ti. used in rhe new Toaks pots must make them more vulnerabe to damage. Ok if stowed inside your pack where other objects can’t dent it, Not so if in a side or front pocket.”

I have the 550 in the thinner ti and it’s been carried dozens of days in the side pocket without damage or the feeling that it might get damaged. It feels pretty tough. Other people’s experiences might be different, but I don’t feel a pot in a side/front pocket is at any greater risk than one inside a pack, excepting a serious fall perhaps.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

“The thinner ti. used in the new Toaks pots must make them more vulnerabe to damage. Ok if stowed inside your pack where other objects can’t dent it, Not so if in a side or front pocket.”

I am about 100% positive that the thinner mugs are being driven by Market pressures.  When TOAKS was trying to get a foothold into the US market, they were highly encouraged  to develop a lighter 1300 and 900 ml pot to be competitive with Evernew.  Going to thinner walls forces you to develop better manufacturing processes.   If you end up denting a thinner ti mug, you would have probably dented the standard wall one anyway.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The new and improved design of the kits does not call for a ridgeline added to support the pot. I have a new high tech Starlyte Stove developed and it supports the pot. In light of the discussion about the Toaks Light pots being vulnerable to dmage while being carried, I can add 2 ridge lines top and bottom to strengthen them at an extra cost. I can make them as an “add-on”

Thomas V
    BPL Member

@rotormedic

Dan,

Do you have any pics of the new design you could share? You got my curiosity peaked.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

No photos yet, sill putting final touches on the titanium windblockers/windsheilds/windscreens. I’ve got the Toaks pots. I’ve been busy with family stuff ;-)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

This is an old video showing how I go about testing a stove in an enclosed environment such as the cone or straight wall windscreen/windsheild:

CLICK ON IT, IT’S A PHOTOBUCKET VIDEO ;-)

video 2011-09-15101952_zps0f7b24b4.mp4

I agree with Jon when he said:

“Full screen compared to partial screen? I think that the differences are marginal.  A very efficient alcohol / Esbit stove is maybe 60% efficiency.  That means that 40% of the energy is loss to the surrounding area: the ground, windscreen, etc.  There is a real easy test for this, can you put your hands on the exposed sections of a pot while the stove is on?  Not unless you have hands of steel.

If the wind is blowing hard you might lose efficiency, but you’re going to anyway as the wind will cause your stove to burn faster causing it to drop in efficiency.  With either style of windscreen, you should be setting up out of the wind, windscreens help but good site selection is best.

My 2 cents”

And I like what Bob M. said about being able to have everything fit inside the pot:

“And it fits inside the pot, which is a point I’m rather obsessive about… just – gotta – have everything in one neat little package.”

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

How all my windshields do.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The Toaks Light kit weighs 4oz without the stuff sack. Boils 2 cups under ideal conditions with 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol. Titanium pot support maintains a constant fuel burn rate, no flare up at end of cycle when water is just about ready to boil. Flame stays under pot at all times. Pot support has self centering tabs that keep the Starlyte burner centered for maximum fuel efficiency. Starlyte burner is full size. Titanium windscreen has easy-peasy connecting seam.

YouTube video

Thomas V
    BPL Member

@rotormedic

Love it Dan. PayPal is awaiting, when and where

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Dan,

How would you arrange the wind screen with a top mounted canister stove like th BRS-3000T? There’s been a fire ban every summer recently and that rules out all but canisters.

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

Hey Dan, i suppose this could work just as well using solid fuel, maybe with the tray?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Paul S…..only Roger could tell us how to do that :-) He’s the canister man ;-)

@ernda
    …It works well with esbit/solid fuel when using the Brian Green Esbit Tray. Easily boils 2 cups with 1 large esbit cube with plenty of cube left over. Just put the BGET inside the pot support.

The 700 kit has the same parts. The windscreen stores inside just like the 650. It extends above the lip of the pot by 1/4″ but you can place the lid on top of the windscreen and the stuff sack is tall enough to cover the lid by at least 3/4″ when cinched up.

I haven’t been able to load photos due to a lost cable hook-up.

I’m going to include  free aluminum drinking cup with the kit. It will nest inside the 650 if anyone is interested in that. Diane inspired me :-)

Rick Rogers
    BPL Member

@rsrogers4

Locale: Central Maryland

@zelph2, let me know how much to send you for the 650 kit (the nested cup switched me back to 650). Looking forward to trying it out on the Appalachian Trail as soon as my broken ankle finishes healing.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I think I  stole the idea from M Compton for the nesting cup. He had his kit displayed in another thread, and I said, l gotta have it!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Diane, here’s a video of the can I’ll include in the kit. Not the foster one. The foster one is what inspired the OTHER makers to come up with their versions ;) the one you have. My design is not made yours, no place for water to seep under an insert.

The cup will not have a lid.

YouTube video

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Hey @rsrogers4, I just checked and the aluminum cup fits/nests inside the 700 pot.

Douglas Layne
    BPL Member

@levibarry

Dan Y. any time line when these will be ready?
    Paypal is burning a hole in my box of stoves. lol
    TIA

levibarry

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

@levibarry, I’ll get a listing up by the end of the day with a link. Thank you for your interest.

Catherine Harley
    BPL Member

@cathyjc

Locale: Scotland

Just to complicate stuff……..I was particularly interested in just a 700ml pot with a ridge. Would  this be a possibility ?

I can make my own cone and stove etc.

Thanks.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

@cathyjc….Send me your pot and I’ll add a ridgeline to it. If interested I’ll send you my address.

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

Dan,

You mentioned that the windscreen sits above the lid of the 700ml pot by about 1/4″ – does this happen when you attempt to store the windscreen as you’ve demonstrated in the video? Can it be rolled up and stored in the pot like Bob shows in his pictures? I just gotta have everything fit neatly in the pot :)

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools