Topic

Ultralight Toaks Titanium Pots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Toaks Titanium Pots

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

I’d be interested in the 650ml pot.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Diane Pinkers says she nests a small cup inside her 650. Here is what Toaks says:

4. It can nest TOAKS Titanium 450ml Cup, 100ml gas canister.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

1. Another option is the MLD 475. I carry one in my Toaks 550 from Zelph but the lid doesn’t quite close. I invert the lid (Four Dog) and keep it held together with a tiny stuffsack. I actually like that it doesn’t quite close because the stuffsack keeps it in tension which means no rattling.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Matthew, does the Four Dog lid fit better than the Toaks?  The MLD has no handles, how do you hold onto the hot cup?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The Four Dog lid is lighter than the Toaks lid. I forgot how much but I can weigh if anyone cares. I had it around from an earlier cook set and was pleasantly surprised to discover it fit.

The green silicon wristband works for me when picking up the mug and keeps me from insulating my lips when sipping.

I have relatively calloused fingers. I eagle claw the 550 off the Esbit without using a potholder. ymmv.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Stop improving things Dan. You have already taken my money on the first kit.

Jetboil sol silicone lids also fit the 550 cup (and hopefully the 650). Not the lightest but with the Gossamer Gear cosy you have a pretty good insulted coffee/tea cup setup as well as a pot that comes complete with a sealing lid, a hole for straining or drinking and lip protection.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Building these kits has been a learning experience. I’ve become aware of what people are saying about the size of their pots and why they have chosen it’s size.

Thomas V
    BPL Member

@rotormedic

Dan,

Getting excited about the new kit. Can’t wait to take a trip and use this new kit.

Thomas

C Herrera
    BPL Member

@crishchian

Locale: So Cal

I own both the 650ml and the 700ml.

I use the 650ml with an alcohol stove. It is alright but I really ended up liking the 700ml pot for my JMT trip and all subsequent trips.

The 700ml fits an iso propane canister stove with an optimus crux stove tucked under the canister. I like that I can simmer and that I can fit more food into the pot without having to worry about boilover.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

So….results of this little survey prompted me to go with the Toaks Light 650 and 700. I should have kits available by the end of next week. You’ll see some interesting new information about how these kits have evolved.

@landrover
    , I never stop improving on designs ;-) I’ll see if I can make a simmer for these kits also.

Thomas V
    BPL Member

@rotormedic

Can’t wait!

Emmanuel Romo
    BPL Member

@emman714

Locale: Southern California

Dan, I would like a 700 kit.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Adding to the Toaks 650 “nesting” conversation …

I use a 650 with a MiniBull Designs QMH pot nestled inside. Fits beautifully!

Douglas Layne
    BPL Member

@levibarry

I would like a 700 set also.

levibarry

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

So why not just buy an anodized aluminum pot?

-> Less expensive

-> Less weight

-> Far better heat transfer (i.e. no hot spots)

I’m asking to get replies, not making a “statement”. After trying Ti cookware (and selling it) I could never understand why some prefer it.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Eric, it’s all about having the best. Titanium pot and wind sceen combination is the way to go.

Dylan Atkinson
    BPL Member

@atkinsondylan

Locale: Southwest

Eric,

For me, the heat transfer doesn’t really play into how I cook. I simply boil water, throw food in pot, cook for another 60 seconds, then take off heat and insulate. As for expense, I agree, aluminum would be cheaper, but in my not very exhaustive search of solo size pots that are shaped like the 700ml Toaks pot, I haven’t been able to find one. All the aluminum pots i’ve seen have been tall and narrow, or way to big for solo size.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Eric, your aluminum  pot weighs more than a comparable Toaks 900ml pot, The Open Country like you have is no longer available. :-(

Open country weighs 3.8 oz.  Toaks weighs 3.6 oz.

Open country volume 850 ml  Toaks volume 900ml

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I’m asking to get replies, not making a “statement”. After trying Ti cookware (and selling it) I could never understand why some prefer it.

If you’re only heating water, it doesn’t matter.

With a stove with a tiny burner head, you’re going to get a hot spot no matter what you use.

In theory, Al heat transfer is better than Ti. However, for boiling water with pots made of thin metal, it makes absolutely no difference.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Eric, comparing you heavy weight aluminum pot to the Toaks Light 700

Open country weighs 3.8 oz.

Toaks Ultralight 700ml/115mm

Weight: Pot only: 2.3oz (65g) Pot with lid: 3.2oz (90g)

Rick Rogers
    BPL Member

@rsrogers4

Locale: Central Maryland

I’d be interested in the 650ml 700ml pot. Thanks.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’m working on 26 kits and it’s going well. Cold, wet weather has prevented doing boil tests :-(

Thomas V
    BPL Member

@rotormedic

Wind has been killer here in the Smokies before the rain has set in. My discretionary income is burning a hole in my pocket. Lol.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

AHA! I just looked at REI’s ti pots at my local store in Henderson, NV and now I see that they are very thin to get their weight down. Clever since ti is so strong. I know my Japanese-made ti skillet was not thin but still had a hot spot compared to my aluminum skillet of the same size. Yer correct, for boiling water it makes no difference if there’s a hot spot.

OK, I see the reasoning for ti. And I know Trail designs makes stoves to fit some Toaks pots so that question is answered.

Hmmmm…

Eric B.

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

The thinner ti. used in rhe new Toaks pots must make them more vulnerabe to damage. Ok if stowed inside your pack where other objects can’t dent it, Not so if in a side or front pocket. It will also be less resistant to wind chill and colder temperatures in exposed cooking situations. short windshields, with the majority of the pot above the windshield height will take longer to boil because of this negative impact. Fuel consumption will be higher and longer boil times achieved unless the pot is fully enclosed. Titanium is stronger than Aluminium but heavier in most areas.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools