Topic

UL Propane stove with 300 BAR refillable 0.6L composite fuel bottle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear UL Propane stove with 300 BAR refillable 0.6L composite fuel bottle?

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 193 total)
  • Author
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Just for the record. In my last post, this should read,

Besides, stoves are not a hobby of mine, they’re just utensils.

I still don’t understand why the people in charge here will not let us edit a post.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

>> I still don’t understand why the people in charge here will not let us edit a post.
    Have you asked?

(I don’t know either.)

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Of course we don’t know why. It has probably been the most often complained about thing in the web support forums.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

There was just an explosion in L.A.

I read that it was from using butane to extract THC from plants.

Butane/propane are definitely dangerous, don’t be lax about using unauthorized containers and so forth.

Of course this is a little different – large amounts of butane in an enclosed space.  It would be more difficult to do this with an 8 ounce butane canister.  Don’t release a full canister into an enclosed space, that might do it.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“The blaze may have started at Smoke Tokes Wholesale Distributor — reportedly a supplier for those who make butane honey oil*, LAFD said.”

*a.k.a hash oil, cannabis oil

That would explain the large fire and explosion.  I suspect they did not have all the required South Coast Air Quality Management District permits much less any fire department inspections.

Aleksi K
    BPL Member

@akallio

I use a WG stove when expedition style winter camping and start it with alcohol. It takes away the excitement, fireballs and all. Not an ultralight option, though.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

*a.k.a hash oil, cannabis oil

Maybe they did have all the permits, etc. and found that smoking weed while working wasn’t a great idea :-(

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Ah so!

With a boiling point of -44 F (-42 C), that has to be pretty close to straight propane. It is highly likely that it contains some other gases down in the 1-2% range, but that does not matter. Certainly, it seems to be better than the BOSS fuel.

What does puzzle me slightly is that they seem to be confused as to whether it is a refrigerant or a torch fuel, but it could be both.

What is not shown is the fitting on top – I assume it is a Lindal valve, but is it screw-thread or something else? The way the torch screws into the black thing makes it look like my canister connector. Different thread, but still …

More photos of the canister are needed.

Dunno about the ‘refillable’ bit: that is not stated, but anything is possible.

Cheers

Nigel Ward
    BPL Member

@oren

It is a Lindal valve. Here is a close-up, also with an Optimus Nova attached.

Lindal valve
    <p style=”text-align: right;”>Nova attached</p>

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Ah- that is useful.

I was a bit put off by the pics available from the company:

This does NOT look like a conventional screw-thread fitting.

And neither does this:

I noted especially the comment at the bottom of the 2nd pic: “Use only UltraFlame accessories”.

Also, some of their other canisters seemed to have a piercing-type fitting – shades of the unreliable Bleuet.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The shape of the BOSS canister looks like the Ultra Flame canister that @oren has shown us.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/brands/ultra-flame

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Anecdotally, it seems like most butane containers are made in the same place.  Korea.  If you look at micro details, most brands of containers are the same, they just have different labels

10 year old canisters had minor variations, some were made in Japan.

Speculating, based on small amount of data.

I noticed ultracool MSDS said 100% alkanes – that includes propane, ethane, pentane, isobutane, n butane.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

If you look at micro details, most brands of containers are the same, they just have different labels
    At one stage I did a detailed comparison of the press marks and strain marks (ie the marks in the metal from the forming) on the undersides of a number of different brands. They were all identical. So, yeah.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

How the 2 compare:

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I get the impression the Ultra Flame uses an aluminum canister. Does anyone know? And how do we get some of that nice Ultra Flame here in the USA? As far as I can tell it’s only available in Canada :-(

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ask @oren to put a magnet to his canister.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@oren: can you put a magnet on your canister of Ultra Flame and tell us if it’s steel?

Nigel Ward
    BPL Member

@oren

The canister is steel. Weight of full canister is 346 g (without plastic cap), so weight of empty canister is 120 g (the canister in the photos is unused).

Nigel Ward
    BPL Member

@oren

View of bottom of canister

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Thanks!

Nigel Ward
    BPL Member

@oren

Weight

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you very much Nigel

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

MSR IsoPro mixed isobutane/propane canisters
    https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/stove-accessories/msr-isopro-fuel/msr-isopro.html

Large: 450 grams fuel, 202 grams canister, 652 grams total

Small: 110 grams fuel, 100 grams canister, 210 grams total

Medium: 227 grams fuel, 144 grams canister, 371 grams total

UltraCool Ultraflame propane can
    https://www.ultracool.ca/products/uf-4949-ultra-flame-8oz-propane-canister/?portfolioCats=19

One size: 226 grams fuel, 120 grams canister, 346 grams total

With the Ultra Cool, if you need 111 to 226 grams of fuel, you could save 25 grams, or 0.9 ounces, for about the same burn time, and easily run a stove below 20 F (-7 C) to about -30 F (-34 C). And possibly refill cheaply, though the exact number of refills is determined by a loud bang often followed by an explosion and fire :-(

But MSR and similar canisters are much easier to purchase, especially in the U.S., aren’t as tippy for canister-top stoves, are available in different sizes to match your trip length, and put the stove lower to the ground for slightly better natural wind resistance. And you can run the stove well below 20 F with some tricks, or using a slightly heavier but more stable invertible remote canister stove that also takes a windscreen safely. And they are just as refillable as the Ultra Cool canisters :-) though not as cheaply.

Tradeoffs. I’ll stick with regular canisters.

— Rex

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 193 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools