Topic

UL Propane stove with 300 BAR refillable 0.6L composite fuel bottle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear UL Propane stove with 300 BAR refillable 0.6L composite fuel bottle?

Viewing 18 posts - 176 through 193 (of 193 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The confusion may be due to the unit name: ‘fluid ounce’ is NOT a weight: it is a volume.
    The old imperial units are a madness.

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

The problem with most fridge/freezer combos, if that’s your only freezer, is if you set the freezer on its coldest, you can’t serve the ice cream – it’s too hard.
    Chuckle!
    Ever tried eating one of the paddle-pop icecreams they serve on some long international flights? I think they store them out on the wing. I have to wait 5 minutes before I can dent one of them.

Cheers

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

On second thought, seeing as how I picked up a motorhome a couple of days ago, maybe I’ll take David Thomas’s suggestion and drive up to Alaska this winter and do some field testing at negative temperatures.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@rcaffin: Madness indeed. I hope I live long enough to see the US switch to metric.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

But then people won’t have the fun of talking grams, ounces, pounds and liters all in the same sentence.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

hey @gearmaker put your BRS3000t on top of the BOSS canister and see if you can melt the pot supports. Chances are good you’ll be able to melt them….after all, Ryan melted 4 out of 7 that he purchased, thank you very much Ryan.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Alright @gearmaker, what’s the latest on your testing? Are you up in Alaska with your motor home?

@oren
    , any testing up there in your area?

I have a friend that will do some testing up in Alaska this weekend.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

put your BRS3000t on top of the BOSS canister and see if you can melt the pot supports.
    Chances are zero.
    A propane flame cannot reach the temperature needed to melt titanium. Simple fact of chemistry.

Ryan’s stoves did not have melted pot supports. Something deformed the bracket holding the pot support, with said bracket NOT even being in the flame.

Too many BPL members have been using (genuine) BRS-3000T stoves for too long without a problem.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

weather forecast for Alaska test area, Galena, AK

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ryan’s stoves did not have melted pot supports. Something deformed the bracket holding the pot support, with said bracket NOT even being in the flame.

Ryan said they melted. Let’s hear what he has to say today. :-)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

much before melting temperature metal will get soft and lose it’s strength, easily bend

like the steel beams on the World Trade Center on 9/11

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

This is a photo of a (genuine) BRS-3000T going fairly hard. You will notice that only the corners of the pot supports are getting hot. You will also notice the bracket under the burner head supporting the movable pot supports.

This is the only photo Ryan was able to provide of a damaged stove. The blue line shows where the BRACKET was bent. Note: NOT the pot supports, but the BRACKET. This can only be done by some serious force. There was no visible damage to the pot supports.

This information has been published once before this, in another thread.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

That post was made on October 2. Yousa guys are way behind the times.  Ryan never did address the initial question way back when.  Roger did but not Ryan and that’s ok, I think I know why

You see, @gearmaker was going to be using his BOSS propane canisters that burn hot hot hot hot and he uses a brst3000. He was going to update us on his testing.  I was expecting he would also had gotten the torch fuel from Canada 

temperature in the test area in Alaska today:

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I will be interested in what gearmaker has to say about his testing.

I don’t think the change in propane fraction will alter the flame shape, so the heating of the pot supports will be very similar to what I showed above. But the minimum ambient temp he can work in – ah yes, that will be of interest. -23 F is about -30 C: the BOSS canister should still work at that temp.

Cheers

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

One ignition test has already been sucessful at -23 up in Galena on Dec. 10

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

I’ve been in trial the past week. Haven’t gotten to Alaska and doesn’t look like anytime soon. Got the BOSS canisters direct from the US company.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

This evenings test went well but could have been better. Boss canister cooperated, stove not so well. Temps are expexted to be below -30 on Sunday night for the next test.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

What went wrong with the stove?
    Cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 176 through 193 (of 193 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools