Topic

Two-person quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Two-person quilts

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Stephen,

we could do a set of double pad straps for you. You can call or email Tyler and he will put it together for you. Price should be the same as the regular accomplice straps.

-Tim

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

The syn mat duo does look nice but too low of R value for me.

Stephen Collins
    BPL Member

@scwcollins

Locale: socal

Tim, thanks! I will get in touch with Tyler. If this Exped pad is a winner then it will make using the Accomplice even easier and warmer.

The R value (>3) on the exped duo seems adequate for the warmer half of the year. Maybe if the pad does well enough Exped will make a winter-worthy version.

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

Re: the Exped Synmat Hyperlight Duo

“2 separate halfs with separate combination valves, so there is no wobbling interference to companion. Added safety in case a leak happens.”

Now that’s good thinking, as one of the arguments against a double mat is lack of redundancy.  And air mattress wobble is definitely their least desirable feature.

I just ordered a Downmat UL 7 LW to try.  If I like it I’ll order another.  The 20d fabric it uses is pretty thin and a concern, but since I would use it inside of a 30d groundsheet on top of a decently-thick tent floor with a footprint, I hope it won’t be an issue.  Of course it will have thicker side rails which will make the center a little awkward, but I need to try it out to see how much of a problem that really is.  It probably doesn’t really matter, as long as the outer baffles are insulated.

Conrad G
    BPL Member

@cgrebel

I just got a Hyperlite duo last week. I’ve only set it up once and will get to test drive it in the woods end of this month. So far though, I can tell you its very comfortable on our hardwood floors. If anyone is interested, I can take some pictures of it set up in the house.

I don’t have a couple’s quilt yet, but the Accomplice is my goal. My wife sleeps really cold, so having my extra body heat to share should really help us on cooler nights.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

A double quilt, if used properly, would be much warmer. In emergency situations, where hypothermia may set in, two people ‘huddling’ is often the difference between death and survival.

That being said, there is no way my wife would be willing to sleep with me in a double quilt after a long day of hiking and no shower.

Garrett McLarty
    BPL Member

@gmac

Locale: New England, PNW, Northern India

My wife and use two thermarest pads as our mattress at home (long wide inside dreamliner covers) and xlites strapped together with a double quilt for backpacking.

We have found that elastic straps do not work as well as very thin non-elastic webbing.  For backpacking, the xlite pads have enough give that even with the taper, there is no gap between them.  I think that while elastic may be more convenient, it breaks down when it doesn’t keep the pads tightly sealed together.

Stephen Collins
    BPL Member

@scwcollins

I tested out the Exped Hyperlite Duo a few days ago. It is awfully narrow. I used it with a friend (both of us are 5’11”, athletic/slender build) and didn’t feel like I had enough room to be comfortable.

Josh Platt
    BPL Member

@easternbox

Locale: Southeast

@cgrebel Conrad, I would be interested in seeing pics and hearing your opinion on the size of the mat.  I’m 6’2″ and my girlfriend is 5’3″ but we are interested in giving this mat a shot.

Stephen Collins
    BPL Member

@scwcollins

OK I just tried out the Duo with my girlfriend who is 5’3″. In contrast with using the pad with my 5’11” male friend, with her I felt like I had plenty of room. So I think the pad, while on the smaller side, can be large enough, it just depends on your size, the size of your partner, and how much room you need to sleep comfortably. If you are a larger sized person and sharing with another larger sized person, it might be too small; but otherwise it might be adequate.

Of course I’d be interested to hear others’ experiences with the pad!

Also, I apologize this is sort of hijacking the thread, since it’s titled “two-person quilts” not “two-person pads”. :-)

Caledonia Heather
    BPL Member

@heatherfeather

As the OP, I certainly don’t mind the change in direction. Two-person sleeping introduces a variety of factors for sure. I know my boyfriend (6’5″) and myself (5’10”) would definitely be way too big for the hypelight duo, sadly.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

My wife and I have used a pair of quilts (3-season plus summer weight) with Thermarest pads down to 15 degF (now we use NeoAir padsl).  I made couplers for the pads from thin 3/4″ wide webbing/tape (easy to sew and cheap).  Our 3-season quilt is from a RayWay kit, the summer quilt I designed myself.

We always use quilts, and we always go together.

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

Has anybody tried out the Synmat Hyperlite Duo yet?

I just scored a fantastic deal on a Big Agnes Saddle Creek SL 15 that was too good to pass up (over $400 off).  It’s pretty much a quilt with no insulation on the bottom, with sleeves and straps designed to hold 2 20″ wide pads underneath.  I’m thinking about removing the center seam from the sleeves so that I could slide in a single 40″ wide mat, and the Hyperlite Duo seems like a good option for this.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Casey and Gina,

Yes, I picked up that pad with my REI dividend in March. I’ve been using Exped pads for a few years, and happy with this one, too. I don’t yet have a double quilt (eyeing the EE Accomplice), but so far, this has been great for my fiancée and I.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Seems that the Hyperlite Duo is backordered or out of stock everywhere.

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

Thanks @jimothy – I was thinking about an EE too as a possible lighter alternative to a Feathered Friends Condor 20 or 30 (since we already have the Condor 0 with extra down fill), and would have probably opted for a wider one that we could have shared with our son, but this was a sweet deal and the quality of the Big Agnes product seems very good.  We’re happy users of Exped’s Downmat 7 UL LW’s and MegaMat 10 LXW’s already, so another Exped product seems like a good bet, and we shouldn’t need as much insulation in the contexts where we’ll be using the Big Agnes quilt.

@lotuseater
    – from Exped’s website:  “NOTE TO USA CUSTOMERS: This item is currently unavailable. It will return to stock on July 15, 2016”

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

C&G: I should note that we’re both on the short side: 5’6″ and 5’2″. Looking at Stephen’s comments, I thought this might be relevant.

Also, we have not used this in cold weather yet. But she’s a furnace, so I suspect with a double quilt, I’d be warm well below freezing. My true motives for wanting a double quilt comes out!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Just used our new hyperlite duo pad.  Goat Rocks, WA.  Nighttime temps ~35F.  Me: 5’10” 180lbs; she: 5′ 105lbs, dog 60lbs.  Zpacks 30F quilt.  Mountain Equipment Xero 200 (40F)

My wife is small but add a 60lbs dog and the pad gets tight, but I slept well.  Used the Schnozzle also.  Friggin rocks!! The schnozzle made me feel dumb for not having it till now.

We have been using an Xlite Reg and Xlite Large velcroed together.  it works well, and is light and quick (way better than straps IMO)  But having the Duo pad was really nice… no gap at all, and having two chambers was really nice.  My ill-fated Kooka Bay pad slept like a champ but, when I got up to pee Amy hit the ground.  (well blow it up more)  Well then its a balloon, Smarty Pants.

EXPED HYPERLITE DUO initial thoughts after two nights.

GOOD:  Comfy, not too small, light, was warm (I sleep cold, but didnt), nice valves!!  Schnozzle is really nice, small to pack, larger outer baffle was nice to alert me to falling off.

BAD: Could be couple of inches bigger… why not?  I guess if I had to try to hate something I would hate that the cvalve is on the bottom, so to add air you have to dismount and raise the pad up.  (but it didnt lose air,…so…

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

Thanks for the review… as for why it’s not a couple inches bigger?  Because it’s a standard size of 40″, same as two regular 20″ pads.  Most people shopping for pads expect a width of 20″ or 25″, and a length of 72″ or 77″.  For duo pads, 40″ or 50″.  Would 45″ also be a good size for many?  Probably, but it probably wouldn’t sell well simply for being nonstandard.

In our case, I want a mat that’s 40″ wide so that it will fit into a sleeve on the bottom of the sleeping “bag” (I consider it a quilt since it has no insulation on the bottom).  Granted, it will require modification to do that, as it’s designed to sleeve two 20″ wide pads so has an extra seam that would need to be removed.  Of course, this isn’t necessary to use the quilt, but I can see it as being a good advantage for duo use, since it would then keep the quilt lined up perfectly with the pad(s), and prevent one person from hogging more of the warm covering for themselves, and would prevent the bottom nylon layer from getting bunched up, etc.  So 40″ width is necessary.

More size options would be a good idea though, particularly a 50″x77″ version and perhaps rectangular versions of each.  I suspect if this sells well they may add those to their lineup later.

Exped valves are one of the greatest features ever.  I will say that I prefer the compatible, but consolidated into a single valve, Sea-to-Summit version.  We have Sea-to-Summit pillows though, and occasionally will intend to open the inflate valve to let out just a little air and accidentally pull the deflate valve open and have an instantly-flat pillow.  So there is sense in the Exped method.  I will never go back to using twist valves that you have to stick inside your mouth to inflate again, since being spoiled by the Exped valves.  Even when blowing up without a pumpbag, it is very preferable to just put something up to your lips entirely on the outside of your face than sticking it in your mouth.  We still have some Big Agnes sleeping pads which are almost identical to Therm-a-Rest valves and another big disadvantage of those valves is that it takes a lot longer to inflate and deflate the pads.  Flat valves rock!

A dream product would be a duo version of the Downmat UL 7…

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

Hmm, I just realized the Synmat Hyperlite Duo doesn’t have dedicated deflate valves…  I suppose that cuts the weight down a bit.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Looks like Exped’s estimate to restock the Hyperlite Duo by July 15 was overly optimistic. The availability date has been pushed back to September 15. By which time they might as well wait till next spring – at least for me at higher elevations. I wonder how soon they will bring out a 2nd generation of this pad.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Backcountry Gear says the Duo is on backorder and “ships in 5-7 days,” but that probably is also optimistic.

Regarding the deflation value: there is just a single valve per side, but deflating it is still easy. There’s a little doodad attached to the valve. Insert it into the valve to keep it open, then squeeze. I might even prefer this over the two valves on the Downmat UL.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pstur11

My girlfriend and I really enjoy using the same quilt. I’m 6’1″ 200lb while she is 120lb. For backpacking we use two zlite thermarest folding foam pads held together with some rope. We sleep directly on top of these. The quilt is a customized hammockgear borrow: it’s 64″ wide and 84″ long with a snap together foot box (no taper). It works well for us because we cuddle closely, otherwise something more complicated like the EE accomplice would be needed.

For a winter quilt I’m gonna make it 70″ wide and 84″ long with a sewn in footbox.

John W
    BPL Member

@john-the-outdoorsman

Hello, how comfortable is the Hyperlite Duo’s vertical baffle construction for side sleepers? Very interested in getting EE Accomplice but would prefer sleeping mat with horizontal baffles like NeoAir XLite.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Im a side sleeper and I like my Hyperlite duo.

Bring on the Downmat Duo!!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools