Topic

Two-person quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Two-person quilts

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

Are you sure about that? I find horizontal baffles to be awful. Vertical works much better for me, and Exped in particular are quite comfortable to me.

I’d also like to see some duo downmats – a few size varieties would be ideal.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Is this ^^^^ Gina?

Im curious because my wife hates horizontal baffles and I wonder if they are less comfortable for curvier women.  (not the overweight curvy, the traditional curvy woman definition)  AKA ‘womans body”

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

It’s both. :) We started with XLites as our first mats. After the first week-long trip they got returned. Used Prolites and tried some other air mats we didn’t end up liking (Q-Core, etc.) before settling on Exped (we now also use SIM Lite 2.5’s in the summer). We were hesitant about the vertical baffles at first since there’s negative review of them by some trying to sell alternative designs, but both find them to be more comfortable.  Heck even the Downmat Lite 5, a simple non-baffled mat that has the top and bottom simply welded together between each air tube, is more comfortable than alternative designs we’ve tried.

John W
    BPL Member

@john-the-outdoorsman

Jeffs, Casey and Gina, thank you for your answers!

I have not yet tried any baffle construction because my first night in the outdoors is yet to come. :) Got quite decent day-hike mileage though this year.

I’ll try to find some vertical-baffled Exped in store and ask to try it out on their floor. :)

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

Beware – some pads feel nice to try out but then actual sleep is difficult and you wake up sore. For me (Casey), that was what happened with the Q-Core pad. Gina found them comfortable enough though unlike me… I am somewhat older than her and had a hard time finding ANY air mattress I could wake up comfortably on. What I always loved from the first try regardless of brand or model was self-inflating pads – the foam inside keeps the surface perfectly flat and free of any bouncy feeling. I still prefer the thin short SIM Lite pads in the summer. But they are too bulky and heavy when insulation is needed, or even just for a full size LW pad, or if you need something thicker than an inch.  I also prefer to blow up my mat really firm; others like letting out as much air as they can before hitting the ground – so try both and in between. :)

Just make sure you buy from some place with a good return policy. REI is a good choice – even if they don’t carry what you want in your local store, you can order it from their website either to your house or the store, then return to the store if you end up not liking it.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

EXped  hyperlight duo WINTER pad is out.  Yankee R-5!

fwiw exped makes

hyperlight duo R3.3 in two sizes for 32-37 oz respectivley.

And hyperlight duo Winter R5 in two sizes. 37- 47oz

ok 47 is absurd but its a 6’6″, 51″ wide r5 .  The regular size equivalent for 37oz is not bad at all for r5

Crow
    BPL Member

@caseyandgina-2

Very interesting news indeed, but where is it advertised?  You can’t find the mat on Exped’s site and there’s little mention anywhere else…

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools