Topic

Thru-Hiking the John Muir Trail in the Fall

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Thru-Hiking the John Muir Trail in the Fall

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Locale: www.smarterbackpacking.com; www.fjaderlatt.se

Companion forum thread to: Thru-Hiking the John Muir Trail in the Fall

Jorgen Johansson thru-hiking the John Muir Trail in autumn – a time when snow begins to fall and sunny days still abound.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Gorgeous photos!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Fun read. Thanks for writing it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Another fantastic read Jorgen.

Patrick Podenski
    BPL Member

@patpodenski

I really like the down to earth way that you describe your experiences on the hike. Thank you also for the gear details.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

nice write up!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Nice trip and nice write-up. Thank you.

But I will say you were lucky with the weather. You could easily have had a storm or two with several feet of snow that time of year. Because of that possiblity I would recommend that anyone doing the JMT that time of year (or late Sept even) should consider doing it South to North as escape routes are easier in the north.

billy

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Awesome read, thank you so much for sharing Jorgen!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Great write up as usual Jorgen. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us.

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Thanks Billy. Yes, I actually encountered a couple who obviously were well versed in many aspects of the Sierras and they talked of a “Sierra Dump”, meaning two feet of snow or something like, that falling in a very short time. However, what they said was also that this was extremely rare. So I feel that I did not push my luck very much, nor that hiking the JMT in September or even October is something I would advice against.But I would not advice it to unskilled hikers.

Anything can of course happen, but if you let small risks rule your life, you will probably never see or do much. I know very experienced backpackers who do not want to hike Alaska and northern Canada, because they are afraid of grizzlies. IMHO, they are letting the fear of a very small risk rob them of a great experience.

Me, I will most likely be back in the Sierras next October. And I feel fairly confident that the skills I have will be sufficient. Which does not mean I will live forever :-)

Jorgen

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

” extremely rare”

Jorgen, I have lived in the Sierra for the past 27 years. It is definately NOT rare to have a 2 or 3 foot snow storm in late Sept or early October. I have seen that many times. Which is why when I did the JMT starting mid Sept and ending early Oct, I did it South to North. the idea being that I start with a good weather forecast, but a week out that forecast is very unreliable but at that point I am in an area that is much easier to exit if needed. Whatever risks you, as an experienced hiker, wish to take is fine with me and I would not wish to discourage you from doing so. But we  must always remember that here on BPL there are readers who are very new and don’t understand the risks. Just last winter we had a woman go off into winter conditions with ultralight gear and apparently little winter skill. She died unnecessarily, in my opinion,… possibly due to advice and/or perceptions she got here on BPL.

billy

billy

billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I would just add this:

For those other than Jorgen who might be contemplating an October JMT trip:

Only hikers experienced with winter survival skills should attempt this. Ask yourself, how far can I hike if there is 2 or 3 feet of new snow on the ground? And drifts that could be 6 feet or more in depth when attempting to get over passes. Do I have the clothing and shelter to survive these conditions? Because they can happen virtually over night that time of year. And do I know how to start a fire in those conditions? Would there even be wood available if I am stuck up above treeline? And for each mile along the JMT, what would be my exit route if I got these conditions over night? And if I can’t exit quickly do I have extra food? Or at least a rescue beacon?

Billy

Jörgen Johansson
    BPL Member

@jorgen

Billy Ray,

I appreciate your concern. And you obviously know more about the Sierras than I do. Now, “rare” is of course a word that can mean almost anything (I perhaps I should have asked the people I met on the trail what they meant more specifically), anyway it would be interesting to have some quantification. If you have seen a 2-3 feet dump of snow “many times” during 27 years, does this mean that it happens on the average at least once every year in September-October. Or every other year, or less? Have you seen it half a dozen times or tens of times during these years? Knowing this would be helpful to me and others.

It is always difficult to know which people will read what on BPL (or anyplace else) and latch onto it, leading some of them to having an unforgettable experience and leading others into things that are way above their heads. Or simply being unlucky, like someone driving the old Route 66, inspired by an article, and getting crushed by a runaway 18-wheeler. This reasoning is related to the “small risks” keeping you from leaving your house, just to be safe., that I meantioned earlier in the tread. If you take it to its extreme you will not be able to write anything about anything to anyone.

I think it is excellent that you, with your knowledge of the Sierras, do point out the skills needed if things get rough up there, late in the season. And I can only say to anyone reading this, that if you do not feel you have these skills, do not brave the Sierras in October.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Jorgen,

I don’t have records. But from memory, I would say on average about 1 in 4 years have early storms in late Sept or the first week of Oct. And from memory, 2 in the last 6 have been that way. I don’t call that ‘extremely rare’ or even ‘rare’ or even ‘unusual’. One deceptive issue is that the Sierra has a reputation for great weather. I can’t tell you how many times I have read here on BPL that it doesn’t rain in the Sierra in the summer and that it’s fine to skimp on rain gear. Yet I have seen it rain for a week straight up there. Much of this kind of talk is promoted by people who do not live in the Sierra and have had the good fortune to not have it rain on them during their few summer backpacking trips. But the reality is that some summers it hardly ever rains; while other summers it rains a lot. And you just do not know which you are going to get.

billy

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ve got a permit for Cottonwood Lakes on September 9 for three nights. I don’t have experience in more than a few inches of snow. Assuming a clear forecast before I head off that is not a particularly risky trip, right?

Patrick Podenski
    BPL Member

@patpodenski

For longer trips that tend to outlast the current forecast a good tool to have is in the field weather updates. DeLorme inReach now has such a feature that will let you access geo-located weather forecasts while on your hike. The forecast can take around 20 minutes to download. This could aid in updating your plan with weather trends before committing to going over a high pass. It doesn’t replace the need to come equipped/prepared for winter conditions and route finding/navigation in snow.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Matthew,

Short trips with a good forecast are a much better bet. Still, watch the sky and if you sense a dramatic change it is best to be on the east side of the crest… or the side that your car is parked on.

Many times I have gone out with a good forecast and had it change dramatically for the worse in a day or two. But you can usually tell if something big is coming by noticing the wind change and the cloud types and the humidity. Just a couple of summers ago I was out with a friend for 6 day trip. We started with clear, sunny forecast and warm for week. Third night out I notice a change in the clouds and the humidity and sensed something coming. The next morning it was obvious something had changed. We were equipped for rain, but my friend was not up for it so we decided to hike out. The day after we hiked out it started to rain…. and it REALLY dumped… inches of rain… and it continued to rain for a week… Sierra… July!!! Moral of the story is to be prepared for rain in the summer and snow starting late September. And notice changes in the weather.

Billy

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Great article, report, and pictures – almost like I was there (except for being at work reading this).  Ditching the crowds for a little snow seems a great trade off (as long as its not a lot of snow though)

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Matthew… to be more clear… Sept 9th is a pretty safe bet relative to there not being a significant snow storm (though it can snow in the mountains any month of the year). September is a great time to hike in the Sierra. But from my experience, starting around September 20th or so the odds of a significant snow storm start to increase. By the first week of October there is a significant chance of a significant snow storm in the Sierra so greater caution relative to gear and experience and weather watching is in order.

billy

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Cool. Thanks for the responses to my question.

I know that weather cannot be predicted with certainty and I must be prepared for cold/wet/wind/snow. My gear has served me well down into the 20s.

I have an InReach from my 2015 JMT where I used it to pull daily weather reports via that we weather thing but the new firmware update seems like a good option as well.

We encountered some very intense storms in my 6/15-7/4 JMT hike although me missed the dump of snow that hit many people in July.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Thank you for the great read!

You’re one tough dude to sleep on that ccf pad!  What a beautiful place, and a writeup to match.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

A great trip report Jorgen. Thanks.

Dillan R
    BPL Member

@ulbp

Fantastic trip report, I really enjoyed reading it and seeing the photos.  Looking forward to doing something like this in the future.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

An excellent report and photos, as always Jörgen.  Thanks

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I really enjoyed this trip report.  Well done.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools