Topic

The Ocelot Windscreen for Canister Topped Stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals The Ocelot Windscreen for Canister Topped Stoves

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

I have one of Jon’s shorter/wider dry bake pans like one above with the quiche in it.  When I take my Grandson backpacking, I’ve used it to make muffins, and it’s worked very well.  I use it in conjunction with Roger’s V1 winter stove and a 1L Evernew Titanium pot.

I’m interested in trying some more of his gourmet dry bake recipes, I just haven’t had the time.  It’s usually something I pursue on short weekend trips.  I’m hopeful that my schedule will open back up this fall so I can play some more with gear and cooking recipes.

Jon – I got the new and improved Ocelot. It looks great.  I haven’t played with it yet.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I bake on the trail all of the time, here is a quiche at Hamilton Lake in Sequoia NP.
    The quiche looks lovely!
    Unfortunately, the way Sue & I walk, it is usually dark by the time I start cooking. Sometimes Sue snoozes while I am getting dinner (why not?). Well, to each his own.

Cheers

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

These pictures were literally taken 5 minutes ago in a nice 5-6 mph breeze with some gusts. The Ocelot performed extremely well. I guess I’ve never used the BRS 3000 on blowout mode. Seemed remarkably normal without all of the usual wind-induced sputtering. I’m going to give this one high marks.

http://Ocelot In Action https://imgur.com/a/ixsLFnz

H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

Just got back from Rockies high elevation BP trip and used the Ocelot at almost every meal time. It did its job even when sustained winds were est. 10-15 mpg at 12K and above. I missed delivery of the lower shield version and upon examination I prefer the higher one.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I just uploaded a video containing customer feedback on the Ocelot windscreen; several contributors are BPL members.

YouTube video

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

In June, we introduced the Ocelot Windscreen for canister topped stoves.  At the initial launch, we supported the PocketRocket 2 & Deluxe, the BRS 3000t and the Fire Maple 300.

Toady, we are launching models for the PocketRocket Original, Soto Amicus and Soto WindMaster (both 3 Flex and 4 Flex).  The Backpackinglight Ocelot Deal?  Free shipping within the USA (First Class Mail) / $4 off shipping Internationally (First Class Mail).  Domestically, shipping will be charged Priority Mail and a refund will applied when the order ships (software limitations, sorry).  Internationally, the discount will be rebated when the product ships.   In your order, list BPL or Backpackinglight as your Company name or leave a me a note.  This offer will be valid until December 25th, 2020.

https://www.flatcatgear.com/product-category/ocelot/

Amicus

Ocelot: Soto Amicus

WindMaster - 3 Flex

Ocelot: Soto WindMaster – 3 Flex

WindMaster 4 Flex

Ocelot: Soto WindMaster – 4 Flex (note, with the 4 Flex, the support arms must be folded inward to clear the windscreen)

PR Original

Ocelot: PocketRocket – Original

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Philip Werner (Section Hiker) just reviewed our Ocelot System.  With that in mind, I am offering a backpackinglight special on the Ocelot System through the end of March: free domestics shipping.  Our software is not sophisticated enough manage this so you will be issued a refund after the item ships.  Please note that you are a backpackinglight member in the comment section to receive this discount.  Best regards – Jon

https://sectionhiker.com/flat-cat-gear-ocelot-canister-stove-windscreen-review/

Noah K
    BPL Member

@nkassos

Locale: Washington

Hi Jon,

For the Soto users among us, is it possible to order a single kit with both the 3 and 4 flex plates (eliminating the need for two separate screens)?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Noah,

A vast majority of the value is in the burner plate and not the windscreen itself so the bundling would probably not be cost effective.  With 2 windscreens, you really have a backup plan in case one gets lost or damaged.  My 2 cents.

FYI – with the 4 Flex, the pot support arms must be in the folded position.  Unfolded and they interfere with the windscreen.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools