Topic

The Ocelot Windscreen for Canister Topped Stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals The Ocelot Windscreen for Canister Topped Stoves

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Greetings All!

We are happy to announce the release of a new product for us: The Ocelot Windscreens. These windscreens were specifically designed to support canister topped stoves. The Ocelot Windscreen includes a 360-degree wrap that is suspended above the canister. A stove specific “burner plate” has been designed to support the windscreen. Currently, we support the BRS 3000t, PocketRocket2 & Deluxe and the Fire Maple 300T (Wasp or Hornet).

BRS 3000t

BRS 3000t

PocketRocket2

PocketRocket2

https://youtu.be/XpmVjJY2sUc

Ocelot Windscreen Video

Backpackinglight Deal (United States only at this time)
    Purchase the Ocelot Windscreen and earn rebate (Ocelot Kovea excluded)
    Open Box Review – $1
    Above and a Burn/boil test – $2.50
    Above & Trip Review – $5
    Above & Multi-trip review $15

I will include a pre-printed form as well as a self-addressed return envelope

Direct link to our website

https://www.flatcatgear.com/product-category/ocelot/

Best regards,

Jon

http://www.flatcatgear.com

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hi Jon,

I’m a bit confused by the page for the PocketRocket 2/Deluxe. Under ‘Description” it has two gram counts, 35 and 44, though there doesn’t seem to be any ordering choice for that specific windscreen. And under the “Additional Information” tab it lists the weight as 6 oz, well above either 35 or 44 grams. Please help me understand these numbers.

Also, how large a pot could be accommodated by this windscreen?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

I have windscreen manufactured at two thicknesses: 0.003″ and 0.004″ hence the difference in weight.  I was going to use feedback from customers to dial in the exact thinkness that people wanted.  0.004″ is a bit more robust at a 9 gram penalty.  Just drop me a note as to what thickness you would be interest in.

The actual windscreen diameter is 4.9″ and was designed around the PocketRocket 2 which is at the same diamter.  So the windscreen easily fit the Snow Peak Trek 700.  Larger mugs can be used, but you may need to slow down the burn rate.

The 6 oz,, figure is used by the software to estimate shipping cost and is not related to any product information.  Hope that helps.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

It does, thanks.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Nice! Any chance you’ll offer one for the Soto WindMaster w/ TriFlex pot supports?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

After the system has been out for a while, I will look and see what customers want.  A big issue with Soto is that it comes in a 3 flex or 4 flex configuration.  Doable, but is that the next candidate.  I am thinking the Original PocketRocket could be in the mix as well as the Etekcity.   We’ll see.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

GSI Pinnacle please.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

That looks cool!  It doesn’t fit any of my stuff and I’m not mad at all. I’m just happy to see this kind of windscreen set up getting started. Hopefully after a while there will be multiple possibilities available and you and the customers will reap the benefits of having the most efficient per weight setup. Its the best configuration IMO.

good job, Jon! (says the random guy)

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Yep, it seemed like there was a void there that needed filling.  With our stay at home status (Los Angeles) it gave me time to brainstorm solutions.  Hopefully the design will evolve to incorperate a plethora of stoves.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Jerry made one quite some time ago that I saw on our Eagle Cap trip. It was a single piece instead of two pieces, quite ingenious I thought.

I wonder if you made an adjustable one that hung off the pot lip instead of sitting on the stove (so it would accommodate various diameter pots and would then work with any stove) if that would work. I’m not an engineer and I don’t visualize very well, so it may be quite a silly idea.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Technically, I think that the idea is sound. That concept has been around for a while and it never seemed to gain that much traction.  Human beings are funny creatures and often drawn into routine.  It is possible that the Ocelot implementation will feel “normal” to people and will be adopted.  The market will determine if I am correct or not.  My 2 cents.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Didn’t realize the idea was already out there for quite awhile. Regardless I think your Ocelot is a great idea, I’ll be picking one up.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I like your b&w product photographs.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I don’t need a windscreen. But your design is so well thought out and clean. I hope you sell a lot of them!

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Cool stuff Jon! Always a fan of your work :) Any indication of the rough efficiency gained by using the windscreen?

@idester – just saw on the Ultralight sub/Reddit that a new company, Simmershield, has introduced close to what you mention. (Also noted here https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/new-windshield-system-for-canister-stoves-simmershield/ )

It’s a two piece system… wrap around “disc” shield under the stove and a windscreen that “hangs” by having enough pressure against the pot sides. It would be accommodate for diff pot heights and maybe a little bit on diameter. Handles would be a bit of an issue and they only sell as a complete set w/ cup, stove (appears to be a BRS?), cozy, etc for $110. Pretty slick system but I’d def opt for Jons if I were to buy since it’s not a complete set, thus much less costly.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Thanks Nick,

I myself am not a big fan of canister topped stove, I prefer invertable remotes myself.  But as that guy in the Tecate comercial says “I don’t always use a windscreen, but when I do…….”

The question will be, have I met the needs of the market?  We’ll see.

Ryan,

Measuring efficiency (with respect to wind) is a tricky and complex beast.  Doable but a lot of work.  The other way to look at it is the BRS 3000t has a reputation for poor performance in the wind.  The fact that I have recieve a lot of orders for the Ocleot BRS system tells me: 1) there are a lot of systems out there and or 2) wind is a significant problem for the BRS 3000t.  Feedback from customers will help to clarify how much impact the Oclelot has.  My 2 cents.

H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

I like this a lot. I’ve used the MSR windscreen for years and grew to hate how I had to fiddle with it, paperclips and all. I suppose I got what I paid for, and that was too much.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

i (carefully) use the outer portion of a Caldera cone as a windscreen. It definitely improves efficiency and the number of boils I can get out of a single canister.

this design looks great. Not much fiddle factor.

Kyle
    Spectator

@kyle-y

@jonfong – cool system! I like it better than the others due to its modular nature and simplicity.

Does your current product offerings work with evernew 600 and or 900 short wide pots?

Thanks!

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

jscott – Thanks.  Keep in mind that it is not a brain-dead design, for with the BRS and Fire Maple, you have to feed three tabs into three slots simultaneously via rotation.  It takes practice.

Kyle – IMO, canister topped stoves are great for mugs.  The current design accepts mugs up to 4.4″ in diameter.  The burner plate fits well in mug due to the diameter to height ratio.  When you get to squatty pots, the aspect ratio does not favor burner plates.   Well see what customers want.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Good work Jon!

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

http://Flat Cat Windscreen for BRS3000 https://imgur.com/a/qFzgb9fJust received my setup for the BRS3000 last night and played with it this morning. Here are some pics and initial impressions:

• Well made…didn’t weight, but light
    • Set up more easily than Jon alluded
    • Slightly off level, but might be the BRS3000. I might play around and bend a few things. Don’t think it will affect function.
    • The screen fit in my 550ml toaks pot…barely…the attachment plate for the stove did not. If you value a kit that fits entirely in the pot this paticular setup did not fit in my pot with a canister.
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Thanks for the Feedback!

• The Ocelot Windscreen for the BRS 3000t weighs 35 grams (I am currently only shipping the 0.003″ thickness)
    • I am still working on the tooling to get a consistent level.  Slight tilts won’t hurt the performance though
    • The windscreen is 3.58″ tall.  Some of the smaller mugs (like TOAKS and Evernew) have recesses in the lid which you can flip the lid 180 and slide over the windscreenwind.  We do this with the Snow Leoaprd windscreen.  The Burner Plate was designed to fit 700 ml mugs.  With smaller mugs, you may have to store the Burner Plate outside of the mug

Jon

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Bummer. Like Kyle, I use an Evernew 600ml short pot, and sometimes the 900, so if I understand you correctly, your windscreen won’t work with either. If you broaden the offerings to include such things I hope you post about it here.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

The Ocelot Windscreen windscreen was targetted after mugs due to the optimal height to diameter ratio.  Since the windscreen will be larger diameter that the mug/pot, the burner plate concept works well with tall narrow shapes.  Short & squatty pot kind of kills that concept.

With respect to smaller mugs, below is the original concept for supporting the Ocelot windscreen (for the BRS 3000t).  Everything would fit inside small mugs.  I ruled this out as 1) 3 pins create a lot of fiddle factor and 2) you loose 1 pin and it’s game over.  Additionally, it works OK withthe BRS but does not leverage itself over the the PocketRocket or other canister topped stoves.  My 2 cents

Original Ocelot

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools