Topic

Tents for 6’4″

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tents for 6’4″

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Curious: Why the X-Mid 2P and not the 1P?

I’ll also note that the 1P doesn’t accommodate 6’4″ people.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

“Why is it so hard for someone to make a narrow tent for tall people? Modify current models and add 12″ length to it?”

$, is the short answer.   So unless you find your answer on this and similar threads, the modification must be done by you, not the maker.  And am not sure a tent with a shorter footprint is going to be readily lengthened. Making them wider is much easier if they have two vestibules, so one vestibule can be modified to widen, but not lengthen the floor:
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/81307 

Another proposed design, narrowed the almost 9′ floor at the ends, and lowered the ceiling at the ends, all to save enough weight to allow the lengthening with no weight penalty:
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/proposed-clamshell-hex-tent-solo-with-side-entries/

That thread generated little interest, probably for the same reason tentmakers are loathe to make tents for really tall people; that is, the cost of product development for a very niche market.

What is to be done?  You can go heavily into MYOG, which trust me, is a lot of work if you are designing from scratch.  Or you can use the search function on BPL and track down all the threads on BPL that address tents for tall backpackers.  One tent I’ve noticed is the Big Sky Chinook 1 Plus, that is 90.55 inches long inside.  It is spec’d at around 3.5 lbs, but that is with alloy poles, and they offer lighter carbon:
    https://bigskyinternational.com/products/big-sky-chinook-1plus-tent

If you don’t find at least the 90.55″ length (with a less sloped dome wall) elsewhere, this one might serve.  There are a number of options to decide on, and a considerable price; so make sure all, including wait time, is resolved by email before ordering.  Note: I’ve no connection at all with Big Sky.

P.S.  The links have a lifespan, probably shorter outside BPL.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Money is the root … but there are other forces that contribute. It’s really no harder to design a bigger tent that won’t make shorter people less happy, and the added cost-of-materials is almost negligible in a market that supports retail sales of tents costing well over $500!

Weight. Bigger tents weigh more, and that’s about the only reliable comparison spec we have, so tent designers sacrifice many other desirable and even critical features.

Long-enough is critical, but almost as critical are tall-enough and wide-enough. I’ve grown intolerant of hunching inside longer tents and getting wet while bumping into condensation-soaked walls.

Lack of standards. Even shorter people might want roomier tents, but the current honor-based (hah!) measurements of “length” and “height” are woefully insufficient. Tent designer Mike Cercot-Scherer talks about failed interior dimension standards in this interview.

Lack of innovation. Many reasons for this, but the tall people tents discussed in this thread don’t fit the freestanding-ish dome-ish design mold that describes 95% of tents sold at national retailers with three-letter names. Thank goodness a handful of direct-sales small vendors can help.

— Rex

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Rex, re:  It’s really no harder to design a bigger tent that won’t make shorter people less happy,…”

The list of seemingly insignificant things that go into total weight all add up.  No one thing is much of  a weight saver, but without regard for every item, the total can be prohibitive, or at least not competitive.

Take a solo tent for a six footer (max).  That works for most of the buying public.  But to achieve the least weight for that, everything must be limited to that.  For me, adding enough space for a 6.6 footer is really hard.  Tried that with the clamshell design, a side-entry tent linked above, but had to give up a self-supporting tent.  And while sloping the tent down to two feet at the top of the head, so long as one can sit up and lie down, seemed  OK, I hated to narrow the tent from roughly 3 feet to zero feet at both head and foot ends.  No problem with sitting up or lying down, but hate it when feel hemmed in at the shoulders and lower legs.  So set that one aside for more thought.

Sometimes there are surprise weight savers.  Take the discontinued Kuiu Moutain Star 1P for example:

Note that the ridgepole extends forward and backward from the peaks of the crossed hoops.  Because of that, the length of the hoop poles could be shortened.  Because the carbon poles are a comparatively heavy item, this saved over half an oz of weight.  Even more if Tee fittings did not have to be added to connect the ends of the ridge pole to the peaks of the hoops.

Suppose the hoops were elbowed at their peaks to create gothic arches.  The left and right sides of the tent would still bow outward, creating more space inside than a Trekking pole tent would provide, and still less pole length would be needed, so even less weight.

That is what I meant when referring to lowering ceilings over head and foot areas.  With a number of small reductions in component weight, there comes a significant reduction in total weight.  But that is just one example of many ways to pare weight; and for me, anyway, it takes much thought.  In a company, the expense for product development with all that it entails can be considerable.  Moreso than might be worth making a heavier tent for considerably taller folks, a small niche of the company’s market as was noted earlier.

For a shorter person, it is not so hard to find smaller tents on the market.  All are competing for lighter tents, so I submit that the bigger tent might well make a shorter person less happy, because he/she would be carrying more weight than necessary.  As I think most BPL trekkers know, the idea that every little bit of weight adds up applies to loaded pack weight as well.

So trying to come up with one design that satisfies everyone, let alone just myself, can be very difficult.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Forgot that Andrew Skurka addressed this problem a few months ago:

https://andrewskurka.com/backpacking-shelters-big-tall-sprawwwl/

And he links to a new site by Jesse Liesch with critical dimensions for larger lightweight tents, including comparison tools linked to your body dimensions, sleeping pad height, and sleeping bag loft, appropriately named Fit My Tent:

https://fitmytent.com

Might be worth checking out if you are taller. Tent makers might want to contribute dimensions and refer taller customers.

— Rex

Erik Hagen
    BPL Member

@ewh100

Locale: SF Bay Area

Love the fit my tent website.  I’m only 5″9″ but found it very useful.  Hope to see many other shelters added.

Thomas G
    BPL Member

@tomgattiker

Hi

I am trying to decide on a down sweater with a hood.  I am looking at the patagonia down sweater hoodie and the REI Magma 850 (hooded).  This is for backcountry skiing (alpine touring) and backpacking in southern/centeral Idaho mostly.

Patagonia weighs 15 ounces.  REI 12 ounces. (both actual weights on my scale)

Patagonia 800 power down, untreated.  REI 850 power, treated.

Patagonia fill wt 3.7 ounces.  REI 4.2 ounces

The cuts on both are super similar.  And both seem similar in terms of being made with certified materials in certified factories.

Even though I like to support patagonia since I like what they stand for, it seems like the REI product is the better choice, since it is lighter but with more down.  And it is 60 bucks cheaper.  Am I missing something?  (Is treated down significantly heavier than untreated down)

Thanks

Thomas G
    BPL Member

@tomgattiker

Oh Crap.  Wrong thread!

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools