Topic

Tents for 6’4″

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tents for 6’4″

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Russell B
    Spectator

@zenman

I am suffering from paralysis of analysis from reading about tents.  I am 6’4″.  I  at the present moment down to two: Zpacks Altaplex and Tentarp StratoSpire Li.  I haven’t been hiking overnight in years and decided to get back into it, so new equipment is needed.  I am going to start with section hiking, then possibly move to thru-hikes.

While the Altaplex states room for 6’6″ I don’t see how.  My quilt foot box still touches the tent slightly.   I am worried about condensation going directly to my quilt if I shift in the night.  I have not test fitted the Stratospire.

I am interested in comments from taller hikers on what shelter system they use even if they are not DCF.

Thanks

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

Would the plan be to sleep diagonally in the strat? I’m a good 7-8” shorter than you and have slept in a strat (don’t own one). It’s generously sized, but I remember thinking it might be a bit tight if I was half a foot taller. That mightn’t be an issue if you’re sleeping diagonally.

But if you’re doing the diagonal in a 2p tent thing, then you could open your options up a lot more

some options you may wish to seek reviews for;

Lightheartgear make a tent called the “solong.”

A-frame tents tend to be well shaped for taller people. The YMG cirriform is long, and I’ve heard tall people say it worked for them. If it’s too short, look at Trekker-tent, as they do custom work – I’m not sure if YMG still do. Both companies do DCF and silpoly options.

Tipik-tentes in France have a longer-than-average mid, called the pioulou, on account of the designer being about your height. This is my shelter, I like it. But the designer did say it’s the minimum length he can use at his height – but they may be worth asking  about an even longer version. I know he was working on a “xl” version.

I wonder if a trailstar would work?

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Tarptent Notch or Moment/Scarp are all longer than a Strat for taller users.

Russell B
    Spectator

@zenman

Thanks for the response.  I agree, that my best bet will likely be a 2P shelter.  The Strat, will not be long enough, however the double Rainbow Li might be an answer.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Two other things to look at: Can the shelter be pitched higher? Does it have pull-outs at each end in the lower middle area? Each may only result in gaining you an inch or two, but that is all you might need.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Tents for taller people are a mine field of misdirection. You might have enough room to lie down naked (technically), but you won’t be happy if your bag is pushing against the end walls, or near-horizontal fabric is laying on your face or sleeping bag foot. And you might start looking for another tent if you can’t sit up enough to straighten out, much less change your shirt without scraping condensation-soaked walls (BTDT).

Unfortunately, “interior length” and “peak height” don’t tell us nearly enough. And even those aren’t measured consistently.

At 6’2” I’m pretty happy with my Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker. I asked SMD if the Lunar Solo would be big enough for me, and they suggested checking out the Trekker.

Everyone makes different trade-offs. Good luck with your search.

— Rex

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

I’ve used a notch and rainbow. I don’t think either would be long enough. The double rainbow might be good sleeping diagonally.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’m 6’5″ and have a Tarptent Notch, a Tarptent Rainbow (single), and a Durston Xmid 2P.

The Notch fits like a sock and requires a two-stage scoot-sit maneuver to sit up (or lie back down), but the length works because the ends of the mesh actually tilt outward at the top, so there’s not really any way to touch the damp tent.  The top of the mesh is right down in my face, though.

The Rainbow is palatial and easy to sit up in, but I have to stay right in the middle to use the full 88″ length.  And, because it’s a single-wall, any condensation will wet my bag if I slide in any direction during the night.  And sliding is quite easy on the silnylon floor.

The Xmid 2P works if I sleep on the diagonal, and would probably work lying straight though I would probably be touching ceiling mesh at one end or the other.  But the Xmid’s silpoly floor isn’t nearly as slippery as silnylon, so sliding around is less likely.

I use the Notch more than anything else because it’s the lightest and its footprint is small and more forgiving.  The Rainbow’s footprint is modest too, but it’s harder to avoid wonky pitches if the ground is too uneven.  The Rainbow also doesn’t do well in wind.  The Xmid is a bit heavy for one and has a rather large footprint, but I love everything else about it.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

And while you’re struggling with wonky tent dimension math, factor in your sleeping pad. Makes a big difference switching from a mashed-down Z-lite to a 3-inch+ thick inflatable that’s finally warm and comfortable enough. Triggered a tent upgrade for me (among other reasons).

— Rex

Russell Biser
    BPL Member

@rbiser

I am 6’4″ and the Durston Gear X-Mid 2 is a palace for one person on top of a neoair. Have not used a zpacks or that tarptent.

Aside: When I saw “Russell B” asking about tents for people 6’4″  I thought for a second I was posting questions in my sleep.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

I’m 6’4″ and the Notch is great for me. Lengthwise it works great with an XTherm pad and a quilt, and while I do occasionally touch the inner wall it’s never cause a problem. It seems a lot roomier in general (ie wider and higher; “airier”) than most one-man tents that weight a lot more. Id’ say go for it… if it doesn’t work out you can always sell it here as C&R, or maybe return to Tarptent for another option.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

Our Seek Outside Silex and Eolus are both geared to fit taller people well.

Russell B
    Spectator

@zenman

Thanks for the recommendation.  I am looking on your site.  Regarding the Silex can you leave the nest attached for easier setup or do you have to remove it each time?

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

You can leave it attached with either of them (Silex or Eolus). Our attachment is slightly different than a clip . At the moment it attaches at the top and we recommend you putting a little slip knot from the nest line loc cordage over knot the cordage from the stake out. A clip system is easy to fashion, but our system works pretty well and keeps them together. Together they pitch very quickly .

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Why is it so hard for someone to make a narrow tent for tall people? Modify current models and add 12″ length to it?

Seems most of the options are very wide or have a huge footprint.

Sandy Hilton
    BPL Member

@sahilton

Locale: PNW

6’6″ here.  I use a YMG 1P Cirriform that I got custom with an extra 6″ of length.  Even without that extra length, there is plenty of room for one tall person.  The advantage of the A-frame style is that you get decent height at the foot and head regardless of how tall you are.  I’m not a huge fan of front entry tents since they require a spin once you get in.  And the headroom in the Cirriform is tight sitting up, but the length is absolutely wonderful and more than worth the tradeoffs.

Russell B
    Spectator

@zenman

Thanks for your comments.  How is the condensation/ventilation with the Cirriform? I see it’s a std single wall design where the condensation would drain down to the netting.

tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Locale: midwest

Have you considered hammocks?

Nick S
    BPL Member

@roadphoto-com-2-2

6’4” here too and in the same boat. Tried the TT Aeon Li which I liked but was touching both ends with sleep gear.  Currently using a bivy and tarp setup which has been working out well so far.

Russell B
    Spectator

@zenman

I pulled the trigger and purchased a Durston Drop Mid 2p.  Amazing amount of room.  I can stretch out without issue or touching the sides and still have room for gear.  I like the dual-wall construction, vents, easy setup with poles and the option of being able to pitch the fly in the rain so you can keep the inner tent dry.   In addition you can pitch just the fly if you choose to semi cowboy tent.  I am looking forward to putting it on the trail.

Thanks to all who comment on this thread, it is apprecited.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Curious: Why the X-Mid 2P and not the 1P?

— Rex

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I’m only 5’10”” but do have a tall friend at 6’4” he likes hammocks but when he uses tents he’s partial to Lightheart gear solong 6 I’ve used a Original solo off and on for years the thing was used when I got it it’s still in great shape after many nights. Judy builds great products

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Would a solomid xl or duomid xl work? You could use either an innernet or bivvy to avoid the condensation.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

You would fit in the Protrail Li

Russell B
    Spectator

@zenman

I chose a 2p because I occasionally hike with my dog.  So wanted room for him.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools