Topic

So Cal GGG 2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips So Cal GGG 2017

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

So, any talk of a So Cal GGG in 2017?  Maybe early May or ?  Hike for Heroes is May 21st, so hopefully not that weekend.  :)

Should be plenty of water at Henninger Flats.

HJ

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Anyone?  Anyone?  :)

HJ

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’m up for it Jim, providing the date works.  I could do a night just about anytime if I know in advance.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I’ll drive up from San Diego, but I’m pretty with boy scouts through April.

Bob (slbear)

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Busy with boy scouts.  Early May could work.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Well, all right!  Maybe the weekend of May 5 – 6 – 7?  You guys got a preference?  I’d probably come up Friday and come back Sunday.  I thought Henninger was a nice venue.  Pretty easy to get to on a Friday even after dark if one has to work late.  It’s a freakin’ road.  :)  And that upper camp where we basically had the place to ourselves was pretty nice.  Don B’s photo:

Anyone heard from Don A @amrowinc lately?

I think these @ sign thingys may generate a message, so I’ll include a bunch here from past participants.

HJ

@surfcam310

@mangus7175

@jonfong

I”m probably missing someone.  No insult intended.  Age has taken its toll on my… what were we talking about?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh man. I’m busy the weekend of May 5/6/7 but I’d really like to join y’all. Maybe my plans will fall through and I’ll be able to drive out…

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

The dates aren’t carved in stone.  What about the following weekend?

HJ

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I could make a night on either of those weekends Jim, it’s basically my backyard.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

“I think these @ sign thingys may generate a message, so I’ll include a bunch here from past participants.” Nope, just a profile link.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

No, scratch that, now I remember why I was thinking about the first weekend in May.  I am going to an Angels game the following weekend.

HJ

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Oh, thanks Ken.  I guess I shouldn’t expect that level of sophistication from BPL software.  Lol.

HJ

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I could make the third or fourth weekend in May.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Just an overnighter? Or continuing on from Henninger?

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Don A. and I did an overnighter in Nov and we talked about a SoCal GGG this year. My impression was he would organize it again if people were interested. I will forward this thread to him.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Sorry for not being on top of the GGGSOCAL this year. I’ve been off the BPL grid for awhile so I didn’t catch this thread.  Thanks to Don Burton for letting me know about it.

I’d be happy to organize it unless someone else is interested in taking a stab at it. I have the mailing lists from the GGGSOCAL 2014, 2015 and 2016.

May 5, 6, 7 works for me.  I had been thinking about doing it at Little Jimmy just for a change. If the majority prefer Henninger then reservations need to be made.  The water faucet are still capped off at Henninger but the “secret” water faucet is working. Supposedly non-potable but I’ve been drinking it straight for years.  Last year we had a water trucked which is another possibility.

Little Jimmy has spring water and is on the PCT in case that interests anyone. There are several three trail options to hike into Little Jimmy of various lengths and difficulty levels.

Feedback everyone……………

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Thanks Don!

+1 for Little Jimmy

That weekend sounds good for me unless something comes up unexpectedly.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

As long as it isn’t Memorial Weekend as I have plans to go backpacking then, I’m in for any May date.

I’d lean against little Jimmy. Great backcountry campground, but my experience with Little Jimmy on weekends in recent years is once the snow melts off, it tends to be very crowded. In May, you will have PCT thru-hikers, even in this heavy snow year as some were already spotted in Idyllwild a few days ago with one taking a nasty slide several hundred down near Fueller Ridge without an ice axe but fortunately lived with just a little wear (story on Whiteblaze). But I’ll still go if that ends up as the plan.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I could do a night somewhere in the  May 5,6,7 range.

Miner has good points about Little Jimmy.  I also suspect that Henninger would draw more people if that’s a concern.  Little Jimmy is a solid hour+ drive up the mountain before the hike even starts.  Henninger access is comparatively mild for those coming from a bit further.

Just a thought, I’d show up at either.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Maybe something on the Gabrielino Trail? Valley Forge is huge and short hike. Lots of space at West Fork and Bear Camp too.  I’ll try to make it either way.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Little Jimmy has an “unofficial” upper area back toward Mount Islip, further south than the main camp area.  Often there is no one camped there.  The down side is that it’s further from the spring.

I’d probably be coming from Orange County after work, so Henninger is attractive to me because I know I can walk the road in the dark if I get up there late.  Hopefully I can take a 1/2 day off on Friday, but it’s nice to have the option of a relatively easy night hike.

That said, I’d make it happen whether we do Jimmy, Henninger, or Valley Forge/West Fork/Devore.

Not sure what kind of shape Bear Canyon Camp on the Gabrieleno Trail is in.  Haven’t been over that way  since the 2009 Station Fire although I’ve been down in the Arroyo Seco several times.

HJ

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

I’m willing to meet up at any of the places mentioned. I would only be coming for Sat/Sun though because it’s too hard to get there on Fri after school and with L.A. traffic.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Bear and the Gabrielino are blowdown central right now; I don’t think any trail maintenance has been done in a LONG time.  Doing either in the dark would be *fun*.

Like Don, it would be a one night trip for me.  I believe I have a good deal of my thesis due the following Monday.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

I haven’t been to any of those places, but am naively willing to give any a try.  I will also probably come up Sat/Sun from Carlsbad.

I would have suggested you guys head south and we can maybe checkout the ADZPCTKO event, which used to be around this time, but I just read it is again canceled – probably for good.  I stopped in once in 2015 and chatted with some really optimistic hikers – 20 miles into their adventure.

It’s good to hear the thru-hikers are already out and about.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Noob Q: what’s GGG stand for?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools