Topic

So Cal GGG 2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips So Cal GGG 2017

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Chance of showers is getting higher.”

Screw that. Glad Tom and I only made it to Lebec, we can still turn around and head back home…

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

“And more gossip about those that aren’t there.”

ain’t that the truth…

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

A note to Chris H. I did receive your email but didn’t notice there was a question in it. This is late but the answer is yes, all are welcome. Everybody was a noob at one time. Come and join us.

The chance of rain has reached 50% for tomorrow night and 60% for Sunday so we might get some and then again we might not. You might get a chance to try your wet weather system.

NOAA says:
    Today Mostly sunny, with a high near 78. North northeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming south southwest in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
    Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around 53. South wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
    Saturday A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. South wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
    Saturday Night A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45. South wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
    Sunday Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 56. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

I’ll be in camp at around 10am today. There is patchy phone reception up there so if anyone gets lost or needs to contact me call 626 485-4696

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks guys/gals for sending me the first picture of the gathering. I wish I could have made it. Looks like the weather was good anyway.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Hah! More fake news on BPL. The real (not alternative reality) photos are forthcoming.

Now I now why there was so much gossiping about you Katharina,

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I don’t have any pictures since I didn’t bring a camera.

We had a small group Friday night. The weather was nice and most of us stayed up until around midnight without a fire.

Craig brought a 12 x 12 tarp, which was installed over a picnic table. During the night it started to rain.

Saturday morning the Idster, Wisner, and Kirchner decided to go on a 14 mile hike. It continued raining non-stop. A few people arrived and we sat under the tarp as the temperature dropped and the wind picked up. There would not be room for the 3 hikers under the tarp when they returned nor any additional hikers who would be showing up. The campground started to flood, but everyone had placed their shelters in good spots. However several shelters were beginning to become surrounded by large pools of water. The weather report called for more rain. I decided to go home Saturday afternoon since it became obvious we didn’t have enough group shelter area to sit around and visit. Once I packed up everyone decided to head out… I think no one wanted to be the first to make the decision. Don A said he would wait for our hiking trio and say goodbye for us.

I’m not much of a gear geek, but Hiking Jim brought a large selection of canister stoves and explained the differences in the burners, pot height, etc. and why certain stoves are his favorites. It was quite an education. Had a good time.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

“Now I now why there was so much gossiping about you Katharina”

hmm boredom, lack of in depth conversation, confusion perhaps?

@Nick
    sounds like a nice gathering despite the weather.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I’m glad I went even though I am anti-social.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sorry we missed you on the last day Nick.

We got involved in a little bit of a soaking wet, freezing cold mini-epic.  The temps fell pretty fast in the higher country and the wind picked up substantially….and despite my assuring Tom and Doug our destination was only another mile, that mile seemed to keep stretching.  We were thoroughly soaked and very cold by the turnaround point….which pretty much assured that we’d be leaving that night; we had to use and wet out all remaining dry insulation to make it back.  Sitting around soaked wasn’t an option.  I honestly didn’t plan gear-wise for what we got on this one, rare in SOCA.

Good to see everyone though!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Unfortunately, I didn’t get many pictures.

Jake J
    BPL Member

@psykokid

Locale: Socal

Sorry I missed this one, had a few commitments pop up last minute and couldn’t find time in my schedule to make it up. I did however get up early on Sunday morning and run a loop out of Chantry Flats during a lull between rain storms. Snow level got pretty low on the back side of the San Gabriels, around 4000′ from what I can tell. I took this photo while ascending the north side of Mt. Zion looking north towards Newcomb Pass:

snowy

Hopefully things will work out and I can make it up next time.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Ironic that Doug and Tom drove all the way from the Seattle area to enjoy some PNW style weather ;)

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Thanks to everyone who came and thanks to those who attempted to come but didn’t quite make it. We ran into Jon Fong just starting up the trail as we were coming out. Also Courtney was on his way up on Sat and turned around when we met him. Jerry showed up on his mountain bike at camp just as we were all packing up.
    I sure hope no one else came along after we were all gone on Sat.
    A special thanks to Wisner for bringing the tarp to help keep us somewhat dry. He also hauled up a box of beautiful ceramic cups he made for everyone with a GGG logo on them. A very generous gesture on his part that we all appreciated.

The remnants of the attendees ready to leave.

How many experienced backpackers does it take to set up a tarp?

Anti-social? Nick holding court.

Packs waiting for carriers.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Am I the only one that can see just one photo of the 4 posted by Don?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I see only one as well.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

I see only one also…..

The were there when I wrote it up.

Hacked by the Russians?

I’ll get the other photos on later this evening.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

They are not lost, Weiner printed them out for ya ;)

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Anti-social Nick holding court.

Confusion over the tarp set-up

I have a few more on coming from Weiner

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Thanks much Don A for setting this up, and to everyone else for the always present and appreciated GGG kinship. A special shout out to Lucy (Lusi, my apologies for the misspelling) for some fabulous coffee!

After stopping in Lebec for the night, Tom and I decided to push through and drove the rest of the way home the next day.

Looking forward to next year. Without the rain. (It was sunny and warm today up here in my neck of Washington :-)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

One of the GGG mugs (mine! :-), courtesy of Craig:

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Any chance there will be another GGG this year?  I couldn’t make it because of family health issues.  Otherwise I probably would have been one of those guys you intercepted on the way down Saturday.  I might try to get up there for at least a quick overnight.

Question about campfires.  Someone said you sat around Friday without a campfire.  Was it raining then or is there a restriction on that now?  I have sold the location as a rare hike into camp with campfires allowed.  Not having been there before, any updates would be greatly appreciated.

BTW…that mug is awesome.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Hey Bob,

i wasn’t able to make it either so I’m hoping for another too.

In general, fires are allowed in Henninger in the camp stoves. These are usually metal boxes with one side open like an oven. You “shove” the wood inside. Not quite a traditional campfire but still fun. I’m guessing nobody wanted to make one and/or it was raining. Also, current fire restrictions may prohibit.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

A very handsome group, cleaned up real nice from Kat’s first photo. Sorry about the bad weather. Sometimes some bad weather can make for a more memorable trip, but cold + wet are less than conducive for hanging out.

Gorgeous mug. Some things by virtue of their beauty and meaning are worthy of some extra weight.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

The weather was so nice Friday night that no fire was needed.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Thanks much Don A for setting this up, and to everyone else for the always present and appreciated GGG kinship.”

+1

“A special shout out to Lucy for some fabulous coffee!”

+100

“After stopping in Lebec for the night, Tom and I decided to push through and drove the rest of the way home the next day.”

A fitting end to the first barn burner I’ve been on in many a year.  I got home wasted, but very well satisfied.  4 days of stimulating conversation and excellent music courtesy of Doug;  reconnecting with Craig and Lusi;  finally getting to meet Nick;  a really enjoyable hike with Craig and Doug that took us through some beautiful country, nasty weather notwithstanding;  a couple of shots of an exquisite Balvenie 12 Year Double Wood Scotch courtesy of Doug up at the camp site, topped off by Lusi’s awesome coffee, a hot post hike shower, and a great meal at Craig’s favorite dive in Little Tokyo.  All of this in less than 5 day’s elapsed time!  It’s what we used to call cramming 10 pounds of sh!it in a 5 pound bag in my IT days.  Yeah, I’d say my cup runneth over.  And special thanks to Don for making all of this possible.

@Doug
    :  In spite of my bitching, I’ll be up for a repeat next year!

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools