Topic

Printed X-PAC now a thing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Printed X-PAC now a thing

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Baker
    Spectator

@kcbaker-2

Full Disclosure – My name is Kyle and I’m the owner/founder of RBTR.

**************************************************************************************

Hi everyone! As a lot of you already know, one area of focus for us over the past couple years has been digital textile printing. Specifically, bringing the technology to high-end outdoor fabrics. We’re still getting started really, but luckily some of our efforts are beginning to bear fruit, so we wanted to share it with you.

One thing we’ve been working on since the start of this year is an X-PAC variant that’s suitable for printing. By printing, I mean that we’re able to start with a base X-PAC fabric and from there create any pattern OR any color for the finished material.

At first this was just an idea in that we didn’t really know if it would work at all. But with several rounds of sampling, testing, and working with DP directly (thanks to Hale and Co), we’ve been able to come up with something that actually works.

The custom variant is called V15 and has the following stack:

• 150D Polyester face with C6 DWR
    • 0.25 mil PET film
    • 50D Poly taffeta backing

In case you’re wondering what that looks like…

In addition to being a print ready, V15 also eliminates the X-ply grid in favor of a plain weave. We did this for a couple different reasons, but namely because we felt the X-grid was a protruding abrasion/wear point that didn’t really need to be there. Also, as pointed out by a known pack vendor, it can be a pain to cut multiple panels so that the grid is always pointing the same way when sewn into the final product. Not sure I can say No grid = No pain, but it certainly makes things easier.

We’re starting with V15 as a good balance of durability and weight between VX21 and VX07, but we’re already working on other custom print ready variants…

Now to the good stuff. Like, why should you care about Printed X-PAC? First, we’ll be printing and stocking X-PAC in colors both inside and outside the standard DP color wheel. But if that wasn’t enough, you’ll also be able to create and order ANY color X-PAC on-demand with no minimum. Said another way, you can now order as little as one yard of X-PAC in ANY color you want, all at a reasonable price.

If you’re so inclined, you can also pick up an X-PAC color map. This is a linear yard of fabric with over 1300+ color swatches and corresponding ID codes. Once you have the color map, you can use it to pick your colors by taste OR to locate color matches to existing gear. For example, you have a ULA pack and want to DIY an X-PAC hip belt pouch that perfectly matches. With the color map, that’s possible.

So that’s it for now. We do have a lot more coming in the next few days like patterns and even custom image upload capability. We’ll keep everyone updated here with those developments.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please don’t hesitate to let us know. We want to make this as awesome as it can possibly be, so we’d love to hear from you. Thanks!

– Kyle

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Kyle,

Please insure that the 50D Poly taffeta backing prevents the PET perforation that previously occured without the x-grid layer and let your customers see the results. See here.

Kyle Baker
    Spectator

@kcbaker-2

Hi Richard. Yeah I followed along with that thread when it was going back in April. I’m not sure if I can test the PET perforation in-house, but I’m happy to send you samples for inspection/testing. As you mentioned, this variant does include a backing taffeta. Let me know.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Excellent news Kyle – looks like a great UL pack material with some good color options. Is 50d backing color white regardless of face color?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Kyle,

I previously used a high quality fabric sample to correlate the crude Protocol B cycle with the fine granularity Cubex machine cycles here.

I previously tested both conventional X-Pac and X-Pac, sans the reinforcement X-Pac grid, here. 

I experienced HH failure at the 10,800 Cubex wet-flex cycles point which should equate to ~3+ normal detergent free “normal” wash cycles.

Kyle Baker
    Spectator

@kcbaker-2

Yep the backing is always white. Very similar to the standard X-pac variants like VX21, etc.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

Just wondering if anyone has gotten their hands on some of this yet and if so, what are your initial impressions, specifically for use in a pack?

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Wow, this sounds great for a myog pack! Just one thing—how the hell will I ever decide on a color now? :)

Kyle Baker
    Spectator

@kcbaker-2

@sierradoug That can be a tough one…

First step would be to pick up a color map. Once you have that, hang it on your wall. Then proceed to agonize over your decision, changing your mind several times. On the bright side, at least you have the colors right there in front of you :).

Amanda K
    Spectator

@tillykke_us

@kcbaker-2

Awesome! I just ordered the grid and am excited by the possibilities. I’m wondering when custom pattern printing will be available for v15?

Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

Great news! Next time when I make an order, I’ll try these printed V15. thanks, Kyle. :-)

Kyle Baker
    Spectator

@kcbaker-2

@brookqwr No problem! Let us know if you need anything.

Kyle Baker
    Spectator

@kcbaker-2

@tillykke_us hopefully today or tomorrow.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

RSBTR now has the V15 pack fabric in stock in tan, green and blue colors of Prym1 camo, and also in A-TACs iX camo. Am I alone in thinking the colored Prym1 camos would look really good as an accent color on a backpack – perhaps on the side panels and side pockets and maybe the back panel too?

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/x-pac/products/x-pac-v15-prym1-camo

Prym1 campo mockups:

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It’s not my taste but it seems like lots of people like camo.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

It’s not my taste but it seems like lots of people like camo.

Not my taste either, but more power.  Further, I can’t quite ascertain the purpose of a bright blue camo print?

In my opinion, my ZPacks Arc Haul in Black Dynema X is the best looking pack I have seen.  Seems to be a rather common opinion given the number of people who have commented similarly to me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools