Topic

Oops! Looks like our GPS took you a bit off-trail. Sorry about that!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website Bug Reports Oops! Looks like our GPS took you a bit off-trail. Sorry about that!

Viewing 19 posts - 76 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yes. It’s a known problem. We have logged this issue with the developer and hope to have it resolved shortly. I will keep everyone updated here.

There is no need to continue to update this thread if you are getting the 404/Oops message in your PMs or Profile links. Please continue to update if you find it anywhere else on the site.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

Are you planning to fix the continuation pages for profiles as well? That would be a big help for people trying to find old threads.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yes that error has been logged into our system as well. We’d all like to see that fixed for sure.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Contrary to your post about it all being fixed, I still can’t go past the first page on someone’s posting history without getting the “Oops” error, fwiw. Tried it just now with two different people, same result for both.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m sorry, that’s a different error and it has not been fixed.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I’m getting the Oops! Looks like our GPS took you a bit off-trail. Sorry about that!  message when I try to access the site through a bookmark to recent forum topics, and when I go to the Recent Forum Topics link in the dropdown menu under the Community tab. Firefox on Windows 10.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for letting us know. Everything should be working now 🙂

Severin S
    BPL Member

@mrpretzel

Any chance of fixing the member profile such that you can navigate multiple pages of posting history? Probably one of the most useful functions for finding old threads.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I suspect an update broke it. I believe we know how to fix it. I will report back.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Perhaps, but it has been broken (and reported) for more than a year.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Actually it was solved earlier this year and then it got broken by an update. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/cant-go-to-past-pages-in-a-persons-forum-history/#post-3701286

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Heh. Good one. :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hilariously that link Matthew, yep, Oops!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

The link works for me. iOS/MacOS  Safari/Chrome when logged in. 🤷‍♂️

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

That link doesn’t work on any of my browsers. Other than that, I’ve only gotten the “oops” page a couple times. I figured you were doing maintenance . It hasn’t been a problem.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

It appears to be a server-side issue; I would be surprised if the browser matters. Just guessing, but Matthew’s account (privileges) might matter.

I get broken links frequently when looking at older posts. I’ve learned to modify the url to find the real page. It’s a minor annoyance (for me), but would be a pain for someone who doesn’t know how to do it.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Yeah, that topic MK posted seems to have disappeared. Anyway, this issue with looking through someone’s forum posts STILL exists and is quite easy to workaround if you are on a desktop browser at least. If you hover over a page button you can see that it won’t take you to the correct URL. For example, it will show https://backpackinglight.com/members/abc123/page/2/ when it should be taking you to https://backpackinglight.com/members/abc123/forums/replies/page/2/

Thus, if you are on a user’s first “Replies” page, simply add page/#/ to the URL to go to whatever page of replies you want. Obviously # can’t exceed whatever the max # of pages that user has.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for the problem solving everyone. This has been an ongoing challenge and we hope to have it fixed soon.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

It’s back again in the Recent Topics Forum

Viewing 19 posts - 76 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools