Topic

Oops! Looks like our GPS took you a bit off-trail. Sorry about that!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website Bug Reports Oops! Looks like our GPS took you a bit off-trail. Sorry about that!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I have difficulty getting on; about 50% of attempts, desktop or mobile, are giving the OOPS message. In both “Community” as well as “Recent Posts”

Breau
    BPL Member

@breau

I get the error message mostly when looking at recent posts and usually only when I’m logged in. I don’t typically get the error if I’m browsing the site while logged out.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I had to dig out my old hunting pants with double denim on front to handle the frequent bushwhacking I’m forced to do with BPL’s GPS taking me “a bit off-trail”.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Like others, when clicking on Recent Forum Topics. But, strangely enough, I also occasionally get it when I click Logout.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

This issue went away for a while, but is now back with vengeance in the last week.   I have tried to get into the Recent Forum Topics today for hours, only getting  the error page.  I used to be able to flush the browser cache, try getting there thru the main menu, ect.  Nothing is working this morning. I also tried going at the site via a vpn from other places around the country, no help.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

BPL and our maintenance people have been working on it over the weekend. It’s been elevated to a senior engineer who will look at it on Monday. We are working on the problem.

Thank you all for your patience.

Ray J
    BPL Member

@rhjanes

Just and FYI, just now (6:15 PM CST 8/15/2022) four clicks for “Community > recent Forum” resulted in “OOOPS”

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks. We will go around back and flip the circuit breaker.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

It’s getting pretty bad

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

Yeah, site it basically unusable.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I agree that it is frustrating. I use the Recent Posts to enter in the forums myself.

This is one of the most challenging bugs BPL has had to deal with. Our hosting and maintenance companies are puzzled, as is the dev team. We are actively working on it.

We can “fix” the problem by rebooting the servers. Please bump this thread when it happens and we will restart things.

We are actively working on this and we apologize for the inconvenience. We’ve been working on it through the weekend. Thank you for your patience.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

On the plus side, the “Oops!” page is loading wicked fast.

Not posting that simply to be a smarta**, although that does tend to be my nature sometimes.  More so to note that the recent topic thread is “slow” to load indicating that it requires quite a bit of DB activity to generate.  The “Oops!” page however is instantaneous…one might surmise that the DB is never being hit, i.e. a decision to go straight to the “Oops!” page is being made VERY quickly without attempting to resolve the original request.

Don’t you love people who do armchair software debugging?

Edit: and again, anecdotally, upon posting the Bug Reports thread, the recent topics thread loads just fine.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

No issues this morning. Yesterday and the days before, I got the message a lot.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

No issues this morning. Yesterday and the days before, I got the message a lot.

Me too. I basically couldn’t load anything. So after a while I thought I would log out and log back in, but that was a huge mistake because the login link kept sending me to the off-trail page.

FWIW, I also find that the Recent Forum Topics is incredibly slow to load. Which is unfortunate, because it’s the best way to navigate given that activity is pretty low in many of the forums.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Dan – we’re showing an average page load time of 1.3 sec this morning on Recent Forum Topics. If this appears to be a consistent issue, I’d like to investigate it further with you, but not on this thread. If it persists, you are welcome to create a new thread we can go from there.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Agree, it seems better today than I’ve seen it.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

the bug is suddenly worse than ever. I can’t access Recent Forum topics at all.

i’ve been unable to access Recent Forum Topics  all day (but other sub forums were accessible.)  After posting the above, from the list of possible subforums (sub fori?) I was able to access this directly. In other words, Recent Forum Topics was available for this moment.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

the bug is suddenly worse than ever. I can’t access Recent Forum topics at all.

Yup. I’ve tried to log on to reply to a thread on about 5 separate occasions this afternoon/evening and this is the first time I could get through.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

Earlier, I was having the same access issues and also could not get into the Account section to check a message from another member.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

After posting the above, from the list of possible subforums (sub fori?) I was able to access this directly. In other words, Recent Forum Topics was available for this moment.

I’m glad someone else is reporting this behavior…and hope the site admins and devs are taking notice.  I have found that an unavailable Recent Topics thread (“Oops”) will become available following a post to any forum.  This has been, for me, 100% consistent and repeatable behavior.  Perhaps the “best” forum to use for this, meaning the one with the smallest impact, is the User Test Forum.

It would be interesting to hear if any other users can verify this correlation,.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

BIG issue LOGGING IN after 1800 hrs from MI…….Oops was the message!!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

@JCH I just made a post in the test forum and I’m not getting the 404 (oops) message now.

BPL continues to work on this issue both in-house and with developers. We are very sorry this has been impacting the site.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I have not been able to get onto the recent posts page for the last two days.  Worse than ever.

JVD
    BPL Member

@jdavis

Locale: Front Range

Recent Forum Topics loaded just fine last night or this morning on both Mac laptop (current MacOS) and iPad (current iOS).

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

@matthew k – I may not have been clear what I am reporting.  I have seen no errors posting in the Bug Reports thread.

Here is the step by step:

1. When the Recent Forums Thread WILL NOT load, and instead returns “Oops” it will almost always do so no matter how you attempt to access it, whether via bookmark, direct URL input or selecting a link on the BPL site.
    2. Go to any other Forum, Bug Reports for example, and post something.  It can be a new post, or a reply to an existing post.
    3. The next attempt to access Recent Forum Topics (by any of the methods listed in #1) will be successful.

This pattern is reliable and 100% repeatable for me.  Further, I think this pattern is what @jscott reported.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools