Topic

New katadyn "befree" filter bottle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New katadyn "befree" filter bottle?

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

It might have been air in the filter.  I have had that happen with my sawyer.  I suggest sucking on the clean water end to get the flow going.  It worked for me with the sawyer.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Yes, my mini needs all air removed by pushing out air from open container (if not full) until water is at top of opening, then screwing on the filter.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

In case anyone is looking for the 1 liter seeker, Massdrop has had them several times even after everyone else ran out and Hydrapak stopped selling them directly. The last time they had it was about 6 weeks ago and before that about 20 weeks.

One thing to keep in mind, I don’t think they’re making the 1 liter anymore. The one I have is a different material and and has a different logo than the 3 liter I purchased. The material on the 1 liter is slightly thinner and not quite as dark as the 3 liter. I haven’t tested either enough to know if there is a functional difference. but if I find one, I’ll be sure to post here. Also I chatted with CS at hydrapak asking them about buying the plug and play cap and they kind of gave the usual corporate speak, “we don’t like discussing future plans” kind of thing. But I get the feeling if enough people ask for it, they might be willing to bring it to market as a separate item.

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

@yoboyobo

Any word on that Amphipod Hydraform 16oz working with the BeFree?

Also, what exact model is it, as Amphipod has a few different 16oz handhelds that I see on the interwebs

TIA!

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

Ok people. I have to come clean on something. After my first filter failed the blow test I bought another. I used it for one weekend and then after I got home it failed the blow test as well!

I figured that either this is the most fragile filter ever or that I was missing something so I downloaded and read the instructions for the fourth or fifth time. This time I noticed a detail I’d missed earlier: the blow test only works with a wet filter.

Both of my filters pass the test when wet…

Thanks for posting this.  I recently purchased one and got to finally use it on a day hike in the Sierras.  I was super impressed with it.  Only minor down side I saw was that it is so flexible it may not slide back into the storage pocket easily.  But there are super easy work arounds for this.  I felt using it I was able to drink more, as access was so easy and the flow rate was plentiful, so I never needed to worry about conserving.

I was a bit concerned when I finished drying it out and found that air passes right through.  I hoped a dry filter would do that . . .

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Only minor down side I saw was that it is so flexible it may not slide back into the storage pocket easily. “

I haven’t yet had any issue with getting it back in my side pack pocket, regardless of how full or empty is was. Done it a bunch of times now.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

Yes, I think that was poorly written by me.  I did not actually have trouble getting it in the pocket, but when less than full the top of the bottle slumped over and dangled outside the pocket.  That seemed like a recipe for trouble.  My solution was when just a bit empty, to put some air back in the bottle, so it was firm again and not slumping.  When the bottle was more empty, I was able to tuck the filter portion in the pocket also, so to part was dangling outside.  Problem solved.

I suspect on my backpack pocket (using a Jandd day pack above) that the pocket is big enough that this will not require adding air at any time.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

“I suspect on my backpack pocket (using a Jandd day pack above) that the pocket is big enough that this will not require adding air at any time.”

Yeah, that’s what I’ve found. My backpack pocket is big enough that it doesn’t flop outside, even when half or more empty.

California Packrafting
    BPL Member

@unnamedpeaks

I tried the filter and it leaked with the the 750ml hydrapak soft flasks. https://www.amazon.com/Hydrapak-B216O-SF750-SoftFlask/dp/B00LGUXME4.

Do different hydrapak containers come in different size openings?!

Also, those hydrapak bottles immediately impart a nasty taste to whatever water I put in them. That can’t be healthy.

Help

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

@asolthane

I had the same problem with the 750 ml softflask.  It leaked through the threads every time I tried to use it.  I have seen reports from others saying that it worked for them, but they had to remove the plastic ring that holds the hang tab below the threads.  I tried that and it did not work for me.  The soft rubbery threading on the 750 just didn’t make a good seal on my BeFree filter.  I replaced it with a 2L seeker and had no problems with the seeker.  The threading on the seeker is a hard plastic and makes a very good seal.

As for the taste, Hydrapak recommends filling the flask with water and the juice of one lemon, then freezing it solid.  They claim it removes the plastic taste permanently.  See their FAQ on their website for details.

Love my BeFree replacement filter with a 2L seeker.  Super happy with it.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Ken,
    Have only used my 1L. BeFree to dip and drink or go. Could you give more details on exactly how you use the 3L. Seeker and the filter as a gravity set up while lying on its side??

@Doug-If you have any more to explain how you use your set up that would be great.

I’d like to have more capacity for trip with grandkids but don’t understand what/how you’re doing this. Thanks!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Jane, I’ve used a 3L Seeker + filter on multi-person trips. You can put it horizontally on a rock/log (maybe with a little slope) and put your bottle under it for a gravity setup but I personally don’t see the point. It’s so easy and fast to push water through it into your drinking bottle I don’t see a need to use it in gravity mode.

The lashing points are very secure. I’ve used them when carrying an extra 3 liters to a dry camp. You could hang the bag in a gravity setup from them if you wanted to but again I don’t see why it would be worth it when you can squeeze out a liter so fast. I feel like I’d have a couple bottles filled up while the gravity system was still being setup. Perhaps your needs are different than mine…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

On another note, one of my BeFree filters is clogged and the water swishing technique isn’t helping. I need to reach out to Katydyn product support to see what their advice is. I did filter some milky water a while back. I think the water had fine silica in it. I probably should have poured the water in through a bandana.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Bandana “filters” out large particles that won’t clog your filter

Filter is clogged by particles that are about the size of the pores of the filter

The only solution is to find clearer water

Or maybe you can let the water sit for a few hours and let the small particles settle

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I prefilter most water to extend life (and less hassle) of filters.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hand washing, Matthew is a perfect time for the gravity setup on a log.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Mathew,

I talked to Katydyn about this issue the other day.  Rep agreed that the BeFree, like most filters, will eventually clog up and can’t be cleared.

Taneum from tree roots (or the things that cling to taneum?) will clog it.  Glacial silt will do it after only a few quarts.

Previous discussions here have suggested using alum and settling things out before filtering.  Haven’t done so.  I’m usually in too much of a hurry.   For longer trips Katydyn suggests carrying an extra filter as backup.

Michael W
    BPL Member

@mwilson3117hushmail-com-2

I used this filter for 220 miles of PCT section hiking in the Pacific Northwest over the last 2 weeks.  I mated the filter to a collapsible Hydra Flask 1 lt bottle with 43 mm opening and filtered water much more quickly than the Sawyer Mini that I used on the JMT last year.  It is much easier to gather water and squeeze through the filter.  After a week of use by two of us, the filtration slowed.  I had used it in a couple silty streams and once in a pond with tea colored water.  Otherwise, it was pure snow melt near the source.  The filter slowed to the rate of a new Sawyer.  I was still pleased with its performance and would use it again.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

@Jane: It wasn’t a ‘hang it up by a branch’ gravity setup, as Ken mentioned I just laid a 3L bottle on a big log, with the top/filter hanging down a bit but not enough to slip off, and we used that for washing hands. It worked perfectly.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Without an effective, high-pressure method of backflushing, the fate of all BeFree filters is to be clogged. I guess throw away and buy a new one is an excellent business model for Katadyn.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

A backflush method would be nice for the BeFree. But given the speed and convenience of this filter, $25 is not a bad price to pay for a replacement cartridge once or twice per season (or to have a backup cartridge in the pack).

After using the BeFree 1 L for a few months on a dozen overnighters and day hikes it has performed well, but definitely slowed a little over time, especially after the first few trips. The filter gets cleaned via the swishing method in the bottle after each trip, but it’s still not as fast as when new. It filters noticeably faster with slightly warmer water temperatures. The threads do leak unless you get a snug fit when screwing on the top. Also, the 1.0 L bottle has held up well, though I try to baby it, keep in in the side pocket of the pack as much as possible, and keep as much air out of it as possible. It survived unscathed after being poked hard by a stiff branch that hit the side pocket of my pack while crawling over a downed tree (it was nearly empty of water and air at the time).

Robert Connor
    BPL Member

@bplnole

Locale: N E Fl

Just a heads up, I was looking for the 1L Seekers and found them in the REI Garage for $10.73.  I am pretty stoked to have  2.5 oz filter system that works this well.

Thanks everyone for their reviews!

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Here’s the REI Garage link for anyone who is interested. Garage only has the 1L size, while the main (full-price) store has the new 2L and 3L sizes at $18 and $20, respectively.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Just got back from five days in the Sierra using the BeFree, much of the time filtering for two people.  As a precaution I paired it with a GSI Ultralight Java Drip (with legs cut off) as a pre-filter.  The filter just gets held in place by hand while scooping into the BeFree bottle and doesn’t slow things down much.  After 5 days, no detectable loss of flow.

Chemicals became blasphemy in such tasty high country water and my Sawyer Mini was so slow I was actually not drinking enough to avoid the tedious stops.  So far the BeFree has been a game-changer for me, actually allowing me to stay hydrated better because it’s so fast.  If it can keep its flow up, I’m completely sold.

Eliot
    BPL Member

@ejdiamond

Hey, just a heads up, the Seeker 2L is on Massdrop for 3 more days, 13.74 including shipping!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/closeout-hydrapak-2l-seeker-2016

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools