Topic

New instant coffee on the market

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition New instant coffee on the market

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Be adventuresome, make your own coffee using the seeds from the Kentucky coffee tree.

If you are lucky enough to positively identify a Kentucky coffeetree, crack open the pods to get the seeds, wash them (and your hands) thoroughly to remove the green goo and roast them in a 300 degree oven in a covered container for 3 hours. As they roast, they’ll explode, so the cover is essential. After the seeds are cool, they can be ground in a coffee grinder just like coffee beans. I use an ordinary drip coffee maker filled with 6 coffee scoops of grounds to make 4 mugs of this delicious, caffeine-free coffee substitute. I actually prefer the taste to coffee. It’s less bitter and has wonderful vanilla-like overtones.

If coffee’s not your beverage, the grounds can also be used as a flavoring in desserts and baked goods. They’re especially good combined with chocolate to make mocha-like confections. I’ve used the spent grounds from coffee-making in muffins with good results, although next time I’d use a finer grind because the end result was a bit gritty. One of these days I’m going to use brewed Kentucky coffee to make tiramisu.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/5/31/736982/-

https://www.google.com/search?q=kentucky+coffee+tree&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS721US721&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFwuj8x-rUAhUEyoMKHYOrCCQQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=_

YouTube video

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I got some of the Alpine Start a couple of days ago when I was in REI and tried it for the first time yesterday while doing my local hike, which included a little field test of the modified Sterno Inferno.

In short, I found it to be excellent… tasted like a real cup of brewed coffee. I used one packet in about 7.5 fluid oz (my inCycle cup, almost full) and it was good and stout but not bitter and there was zero aftertaste.

Yep, it is comparatively expensive but since I have reduced my coffee consumption drastically the last few months it is worth it to me to have a really good cup on the trail.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I friend of mine almost met his demise when I awoke to find they only had instant coffee on a rafting trip he assured me would have coffee…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Always bring your own. Too important to leave to others.

Related reading

https://backpackinglight.com/coffee_beautiful_cup/

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

I learned my lesson, the hard way.  ;^)

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

+1 for Mt Hagen Organic Instant

been workin 4 me for 15 yrs or so; the first palatable instant i found, and the first organic

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools