Topic

New instant coffee on the market

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition New instant coffee on the market

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

…or at least one I haven’t heard of previously.

Has anyone tried Alpine Start instant coffee?  https://alpinestartfoods.com/products/alpine-start-original-blend-instant-coffee

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Cost is over $1 per cup. $9 for a box of 8 packages.

You can buy a large jar of Nestle Clasico for $7 that will yield 100 cups of coffee. Plus you don’t have to deal with the heavy individual packaging.

Now, the Alpine Start might taste better, but that is subjective. Cofffee is an acquired taste. Most people did not enjoy their first taste of coffee, beer, wine, or whiskey. My favorite food is a 16 oz porterhouse or ribeye steak with a large baked potatoe smothered with better, something I gladly do without when backpacking. Clasico has served me well for years and years, but I don’t drink it at home or when camping in my trailer.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I saw DARWIN ON THE TRAIL do a coffee taste test a few months ago and it was one of the coffees he and his friend tried

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nick and Jerry, two peas out of the same pod : )

Nestles Taster’s Choice freeze dried – it has caffeine and is dark colored.  I just put some in a zip loc bag along with tea bags.

</trolling>

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

+1 on Classico, and +1 on a snack bag.

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

Trader Joe’s has instant coffee packets that include the creamer mixed in already, are stronger than Starbucks packets and come 10 for $1.99. I actually think they taste better than Starbucks.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I rarely use cream.  I used to more often.

I have never used creamer : )

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Probably should have realized that asking anything about instant coffee would open up all the old debates.  I really was just wondering if anyone had tried Alpine Start and if so, what they thought of it.  Link provided exactly what I was looking for (thank you).

Apologies for opening old wounds.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Well at least no coffee snobs weighed in this time with a smackdown of the abomination known as instant “coffee.”   :^/

Not yet, anyway…

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

On the other hand, “Good” Coffee arguably deserves spirited debate.  Whomever first roasted, ground and steeped the seed of that cherry was a frikin genius, and to whom the entire world owes a debt of gratitude :)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

“Probably should have realized that asking anything about instant coffee would open up all the old debates…”

ha, ha, ha,…

” Whomever first roasted, ground and steeped the seed of that cherry was a frikin genius, and to whom the entire world owes a debt of gratitude :)”

domestic goats in Ethiopia.  “Why are those goats hopping around so oddly?   We better check that out…”

(Probably a misremembered documentary about a “fake news” historical legend)

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

domestic goats in Ethiopia.

Ha!  Similar Kudos to whomever first ate cheese (“coulda sworn it didn’t look like this a week ago…”), drank beer (“that stuff is really bubbling up…”), etc.

There were some brave, or more likely really hungry, people “back in the day” :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Had any of you good folks drank the military coffee in K-rations or C-rations, then anything else would be considered wonderful, thus my affection for Clasico. As an interesting side note, both K and C contained a small package of cigarettes.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

My Dad used to trade his Cigs for gum.

He also got a tattoo of a girl with a blouse on.

(jk about the tattoo)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“both K and C contained a small package of cigarettes.”

They stopped that in ’75, though Drills still told us young trainees to ‘smoke ’em if you got ’em’ when I was in Basic.

“Had any of you good folks drank the military coffee in K-rations or C-rations, then anything else would be considered wonderful…”

Army rations coffee is precisely why I won’t stoop to Nescafe and such! Give me good stuff or forget it!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

They stopped that in ’75, though Drills still told us young trainees to ‘smoke ’em if you got ’em’ when I was in Basic.

We were actually taught how to “field strip” a filtered cigarette after it had been consumed. The reason was it would be more difficult for the enemy to track you.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

We were actually taught how to “field strip” a filtered cigarette after it had been consumed. The reason was it would be more difficult for the enemy to track you.

Seems like the solution would have been to only include non-filtered cigs :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Well at least no coffee snobs weighed in this time with a smackdown of the abomination known as instant “coffee.” :^/

Just so. (It isn’t coffee.)

“Listen to me and I’m sure you’ll agree
    The bravest man in the whole country
    Was not the soldier who went to war
    But the first man who swallowed an oyster raw”

Court Jester in Wizard of Id

Cheers

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Imagine how frightening many of humankind’s finest achievements where the very first time…

“Welp…here goes nuthin…”

Really makes you appreciate the time in which we live :)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I’ve been auditioning the Mt Hagen stuff and it’s pretty good, although I think I still prefer the stout espresso of Bustelo.

I’ll have to try the Trader Joe’s packets.

Honestly I could live with most of them because I’m not too picky… if it’s ‘coffee-esque’ and has adequate caffeine it’ll do in a pinch.

Andrew D
    BPL Member

@adegar

On a recent trip to the Ozarks, my partner and I mixed two packets of Cafe Bustello with half a packet of cocoa. Morning mochas were wonderful.

kristine s
    BPL Member

@summitdweller

Laird instafuel very good has creamer added

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

has creamer added
    Yeah, well, that sort of disqualifies it immediately. :-)

Cheers

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

Just got back from a car camp to and from southwestern CO and a backpack on the Colorado Trail while we were there.  I’m liking this for coffee:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Mount-Hagen-Organic-Fairtrade-Instant-Coffee-25-Packets-1-76-oz-50-g/30264

I prefer it to Starbucks (also costs quite a bit less than Starbucks).  It doesn’t have the bitter/burnt taste that I don’t care for in Starbucks.

I just had a cup here at home (as a test, because food/drink always tastes better on a backpack!), and I still like it.  I don’t detect any of the “metallic” taste that some coffee drinkers say that every instant coffee has.

So this will be my choice for backpacking coffee. My wife still prefers Starbucks however.

EDIT:  Just noticed the comments re Cafe Bustelo single serve packets.  Something else I will have to try.  :-\

Greg K
    BPL Member

@ziasdad

for those who want to continue to beat this dead horse:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/05/best-instant-coffee_n_1405887.html

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools