Topic

Keith Ti6300 900mL Titanium Pot Multipurpose Titanium Rice Cooker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Keith Ti6300 900mL Titanium Pot Multipurpose Titanium Rice Cooker

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Lightweight Titanium Pressure Cooker for backpacking cooking aficionados. Ahhhh, the fragrance of cooked Jasmine rice in the morning :-)  Sold by Keith USA

I purchased one today off ebay, $95.00 free shipping.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

This cooker looks tall enough to cook yummy asparagus :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLYpki06s0I

You could easily rig up a bail for cooking over a campfire. ;-)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

These were just on Massdrop. One more piece and you could have a pressure cooker.

Love that Jasmine rice smell too.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

They have the little jiggling piece for adding to the top when cooking in high altitudes. That makes it an official “pressure cooker”

This video shows the little piece for doing the pressure thing.

YouTube video

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Update found on Amazon:

Question: Does this come with some sort of pressure regulator as seen on youtube?
    Answer: Keith Titanium Multifunctional Cooker has two versions, standard and upgraded. The only difference is that the upgraded version has the pressure regulator you mentioned. The upgraded version is for regions with altitude higher than 13,000 feet. The standard version has been tested on mountains higher than 13,000 feet. Even though the standard version is very popular now, we won’t produce the upgraded version until 2019 because we think the market demand for it is very low. Thanks! see less
    By KEITH TITANIUM USA SELLER on January 30, 2017

At the Amazon link, click on the place where you see “8 answered questions”

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Looks like an easy DIY project to make the pot into a pressure cooker ;-)

Luke F
    BPL Member

@fowler

Man, I just played with one of these the other day and did not make the connection about what it was. I just thought it was an absurdly complex way to securely attach a lid, like a Vargo BOT but with no threads. Makes much more sense now.

I’d be very curious to see how much fuel this would save over a normal ti pot and then find the break even point. A few sources claim 50%-70% reduction in cooking times for normal kitchen pressure cookers. This looks to me like a tiny, lighter version of the “can cookers” I see hunters using.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Some photos on a forum over in Germany:

https://www.outdoorseiten.net/forum/showthread.php/95536-Keith-ti-6300-%28Reiskocher%29

Watched a couple videos and there is some serious steam coming out of the top hole. I suspect there is a good amount of pressure behind the steam and so I suspect there will be a reduction in fuel used to cook some of the more hard to cook goodies like fresh green beans.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

In Indian markets in Delhi there used to be (and I’m sure still are) small and even fairly tiny pressure cookers (traditional style, with a single handle). A full range of sizes. Cheap, also. Might be of some use to Himalayan trekkers.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

India markets have 1ltr pressure cookers and look heavy.

YouTube video

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

I seem to remember down to 500 ml, maybe even less. But this was ? 1985?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

When mine arrives I’ll do some experimenting, maybe put a ridgeline on it, incorporate a Ti support/windscreen and a Starlyte burner. Might get some interesting cook times with Jasmine rice and asparagus.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

It’s even getting better, it can be used to bake your favorite goodies :-)

YouTube video

Chris Chang
    Spectator

@digitalfuzion

Locale: Northern California

Hey Dan,

I picked up one of these recently on Massdrop, haven’t tried it out yet, but I’d be interested to know if a ridge/cone setup would work well with this.  Looking forward to fresh rice on the trail, and maybe steaming a few veggies etc.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Chris, I missed the massdrop for $78 bucks. Got a notice mine was shipped this morning. I’m a nut for innovative complicated cook pots LOL. This pressure cooker fits the bill ;-)

When mine arrives I’ll put a ridge on it, make a cone for it and start doing some cooking.

On massdrop I found this baking video using the cooker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xI4NJkeKIM

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Looks interesting (like I need another pot??? :-)

some thoughts:

1. 256 grams is 9oz
    2. the weight might be worth it for short trips when I want to cook real food
    3. The hole in the top of the current version is way too large to build up any significant pressure
    4. but as a steamer … you bet!
    5. The possible future pressure cooker version would be very different … fast cook dried beans and lentils (yeah, baby).
    6. except I’m not sure I should trust myself around life steam in the backcountry. (boiling water is dangerous enough!)
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

The steam temperature coming out of the pot is 105C (v.s 100 C when not under any pressure)

The pressure regulator on a Mirro pressure cooker has 3 settings = 5, 10 and 15. These are figures for those 3 settings:

Pressure Cooking Temperature
    5 lbs. 228° F 107°C (the Keith pot is 105C)
    10 lbs. 240° F 113°C
    15 lbs. 250° F 118°C
    When the pressure cooker
    reaches the proper temperature,
    the pressure regulator weight
    will jiggle audibly, and you can
    see the steam being released.
    The pressure will be automatically
    maintained for proper pressure
    cooking. The pressure
    regulator weight itself never
    requires adjustment or testing for
    accuracy

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

important information about pressure increasing from the All American pressure cooker site:

http://beprepared.com/media/manuals/fp_p030_all_american_pressure_cooker_manual.pdf

At no time should the
    pressure be allowed to rise
    above 15 P.S.I. Excess pressure
    should be decreased by turning
    heat down. Remember, it is the
    amount of heat applied to the
    unit that regulates the pressure.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

$84.71 on AliExpress with free shipping at present, and 5% discount for two.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I did a quick search for the AliExpress one and couldn’t find it.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Shop is Leisure Travel Station, product is Keith 900ml Titanium Cooking Pot Outdoor Camping Hiking Picnic Rice Cooker Tableware Cookware Portable Sauce Pot Ti6300.

Is it possible US website for AliExpress differs from the one I access from Korea?

Suggest search “Keith titanium”; note there are a number of AliExpress shops selling same product for higher prices.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

If you go to the AliExpress store Lesure Travel Station, it is under “Sale Items”.

Else, AliExpress: search for “Keith titanium rice cooker”. That is the fastest way.

It is also available at that price at “Outdoor Leisure Travel Station” shop, (probably the same store).

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I don’t get it, rice is not difficult to make; it does require a little practice.  If you bought a pound of rice (~$2.50) and made rice everyday that you would be pretty good at it before you reached the end of the bag.  ½ cup of rice (rinsed) plus 1 cup of water will yield about 2 cups of rice.  Bring it to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.  Then the water level reaches the level of a grain of rice, remove it from the heat and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.   A small investment in time would save the ~$50 premium that you are paying for a fancy rice maker.  My 2 cents.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

^agreed although maybe it’s harder at high altitude or it’s more fuel efficient with this setup (you’d have to save a LOT of fuel for the math to work out).

It’s an interesting device but I won’t be buying one.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

“maybe it’s harder at high altitude”

Well, I have cooked rice above 12,000′ without  any issues.  Fuel efficiency will be dependent on your cooking system and not so much the altitude.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools