Topic

Keith Ti6300 900mL Titanium Pot Multipurpose Titanium Rice Cooker

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Keith Ti6300 900mL Titanium Pot Multipurpose Titanium Rice Cooker

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

It’s a lot more than a rice cooker :-)

When I get mine I’ll show my first “Modification” simple and easy mod.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

A quote from another forum:

I fill the outer pot with about an inch of water before adding the inner pot because it’s faster than the method in the directions. Plus I have found that the cooking time is about 10-11 minutes on low heat after full boil for Jasmine rice.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Mine arrived today and the first test was for the silicone seal on the lid.

I filled the pot, closed the lid clamps, applied a small waterproof band aid to steam vent hole, turned it upside down and shook it with vigor………….amazing, no leaks :-)

This means I can put my beans and water in the pot to soak all day while I hike. It’s not just a cooker, it’s a BOT and a soaker. You’ve seen in one of the videos that you can bake in it….it’s an oven.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

“The steam temperature coming out of the pot is 105C (v.s 100 C when not under any pressure)”

Thank you for that measurement, Dan.  That’s more of a boost than I thought.  105C works out to a pressure increase of a shade under 3PSI (according to a table found here

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Yeah, not too shabby for a little pot. Home size pressure cookers start out at 5 pound setting on the pressure jigglers.

I put a ridge on mine and next comes the titanium stabilizing windscreen. I’ll pair it up with the XL Starlyte that has the slide valve to make it simmer once a boil is reached.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Dan, Does the rice cooker fit the TD cones you had made in your earlier 550ml kits?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Kurt, the rice cooker is larger in diameter unfortunately it does not fit…..bummer :-(

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Take a look how the Vargo BOT compares in size to the Keith cooker, they are the same price:

Vargo Bot
    SPECIFICATIONS
    Capacity: 1.0 liter (34 oz)
    Outer Diameter: 4.1 inches (105 mm)
    Inner Diameter: 3.8 inches (96 mm)
    Height: 6.3 inches (160 mm)
    Weight: 5.2 ounces (147 grams)

https://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-bot-bottle-pot.html#prod-2

Keith

Specs

Keith
    Titanium construction
    Nonstick interior
    Folding handles
    Capacity: 30.4 fl oz (900 ml)
    Dimensions (L x W x H): 4.6 x 4.3 x 6.2 in (11.8 x 10.8 x 15.8 cm)
    Weight: 9 oz (256 g)

Kevin B
    Spectator

@newmexikev

Locale: Western New Mexico, USA

Can you weigh the inner non-stick pot?

Perhaps that part can be left at home and still get decent performance with soupier rice/bean dinners (I don’t need perfectly cooked rice, but could appreciate cooking real rice or lentils at higher elevations).

Also, are you using the jingle top on the steam release valve in your test?  What is your elevation?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Kevin, the inner pot weighs 2,7 oz./77gr. It doesn’t look like the pot has a non-stick surface as claimed in one of the photos or descriptions.

My pot does not have the jiggle top and from what we learned, it will not be available till 2018.

I have not used my pot yet. Just gathering info before I use it to cook maximum amount of rice for the first test. I want to cook max amount in the mornings, some for breakfast and some saved for evening meal. Evening meal will be mountain house rehydrated in a ziploc supported by the inner pot.Water boiled in the outer pot. The inner pot containing mountain house and rice will be put into outer pot for 5-10 min to rehydrate and then eaten while being held by the two pots acting as an insulated cozy

The above photo showing the 3 pots comes from a site in Germany, photo used without permission.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

This morning I boiled 2 cups of water in the outer portion of the cooker using my kitchen stove while I put a ziploc in the inner pot of the cooker. In the ziploc I put 1 cup dehydrated beef cubes and 1 cup pre cooked rice. Rice was not cooked in the Keith cooker. I then poured 2 cups water in the ziploc, then I put the container with ziploc inside the outer portion of the cooker, secured the lid onto it and let it sit for 10 min. Opened it and food was ready to eat. I should have put in 2 cups of rice to thicken it :-)

Finished eating and threw away the used ziploc…….no dirty dishes to wash :-)

I transferred the silicone gasket from inner pot to the lid and it sealed perfect.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

Dan,

Special deal on AliExpress from Outdoor Leisure Travel Station is $81.54 if you buy 3 or more. 2 days left. There are also seller coupons available, I don’t know whether they are already priced in or not.

Keith 900ml Portable Sauce Pot Titanium Cutlery Camping Rice Cooker Ultralight With Cover Folded Handle Ti6300 Drop Shipping

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

I’m really interested to hear how people are using this!

A little birdie told me that this might be coming back on Massdrop later this month.

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

This is very interesting but while camping is slow cooking not the best way? besides needing this to boil water in high altitudes …this just looks dangerous. People have died using pressure cookers while camping. If you want to save fuel, just bring your water to a boil, insulate the pot, and slow cook.

Yes I know you couldn’t cook all of the stuff this pot can like beans etc. but unless you are in high altitudes I wouldn’t take on the extra risk. PC’s can and do fail… with that being said these are still super cool.

One other little problem, to be the most safe using a PC while camping you need a highly adjustable heat source generally only available using isobutane stoves …which I would personally only recommend  for 3 season use.

So in my conclusion for high altitude and 3 season use(so you can *reliably* use isobutane), this should be perfectly safe and necessary. Even for 4 season use you can sleep with the canisters (yay) and stick with isobutane, since with the altitudes you NEED pressure and the safety concerns become less important

At low altitudes, for 4 season use… seems like a disaster might happen as isobutane is not the best for 4 season use, leaving you with less suitable non adjustable stoves for options, and since the pressure is not necessary why use the less suitable fuel source and dangerous pressure, if all you are doing is saving time? guess you could still sleep with the fuel..but meh…if the pressure aint absolutely needed…don’t risk it

So for certain people , yeah this thing is awesome. for most of us…it’s just fancier and riskier (imho)

Still might buy one :P

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

This really isn’t risky, Michael, because it’s not really a pressure cooker.  There is a simple hole in the lid to let steam escape.  It’s more of a steamer, or a rice cooker.  Almost no pressure builds up- 3psi, actually, which hardly counts.  In fact, that’s probably not much more than in a whistling teapot.

Even the “pressure cooker” variant that isn’t being sold yet but is in some of the the videos is probably only a pressure cooker on a technicality.  It doesn’t have a valve- just a little weight that sits on the hole in the lid and when the pressure gets high enough the weight gets pushed off the hole for a second, releasing the pressure.  (Sort of like how the penny alcohol stoves work.)  It’s hard to think of a safer way to do it, since pressures are still incredibly low compared to the pressure cookers that you’re thinking of.

TD seriously needs to consider making a cone for this.  I wonder if a classic one-piece cone in Ti would work, but made so that the pot rests on the bottom of the latches rather than the rim, so that a shorter cone can be used that fits in the pot.  I like simplicity.  I detest the two-piece cones.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Inspired:

YouTube video

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Here is what the top of a B&M Brown Bread looks like right out the can. Must be baked in the upright position:

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools