Topic

Great Divide Trail Yo-Yo – 2300km – Videos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Great Divide Trail Yo-Yo – 2300km – Videos

• This topic has 47 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Ian.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

This summer my wife and I did the first yo-yo thru-hike of the Canadian Rockies via the Great Divide Trail. It’s awesome. Everyone should go.

Over the summer I wrote up trip reports for each section at my blog:
    https://intocascadia.com/great-divide-trail/

Recently, I started work on a series of short videos from the hike. The first couple are out now, and the rest will be out over the next few weeks. I think they’re pretty awesome, so please check them out:

YouTube video

<div class=”grammarly-disable-indicator”></div>

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Damn!

Kudos, to both of you.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

@dandydan terrific! Thank you for sharing. You guys are very inspiring, and endearing!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks guys!

Part two

YouTube video

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Fantastique! Which is a notch past fantastic. Awe inspiring country. And what a great attitude you both have.

The film is well done and very well produced. If I may quibble with a tendency that all backpacking films share, brought on perhaps by mtv, is the tendency for lots of quick cuts. Often when I see a shot of great mountains or whatever, my eyes want to linger. Or if someone is making a snow traverse, I want to watch for a while. This is a personal preference and not at all what’s in style, and most people may disagree, so I admit to possibly being cranky. But I think there’s a place in adventuring films for those slow tracking shots like Kubrick uses. Again, this isn’t really a fault of your film in particular but a tendency of all the back country films I’ve viewed over the last ten years.

But what a wonderful adventure! Thanks for this and alert us when more comes available.

p.s. I haven’t viewed chapter two yet so forgive me if what I wrote is misplaced.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Good stuff Dan. Thanks for sharing your wonderful adventure with us.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Very nice.  I like it when whats happening underfoot changes over the course of miles.

2jelly

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Thanks for sharing.

Gunnar H
    BPL Member

@qy

Thanks for sharing, looks wonderful!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Dan,

What packs are you (two) using?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sweet! Thanks Dan

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“What packs are you (two) using?”

I know Dan’s a fan of the Hanchor Marl pack, so that would be my guess.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

I think they are Seek Outside Gila or divide

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

They are Hanchor Marl packs. I wrote up a review of them on my blog:
    https://intocascadia.com/2017/05/06/review-hanchor-marl-42l-pack/

They’re awesome packs. A little heavier (~38oz) and more capable (3 frame stays, load lifters) than I usually need but we had some 10 day stretches on this trip. The Marl is a good all around pack if you need to be able to carry a bit of weight. I think of it as one step up in beefiness over a HMG Windrider. For an extra 3-4oz you get tougher fabric, load lifters, horizontal stay and better craftsmanship.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Thanks Dan.

(… and Doug)

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

What a great adventure! Great attitude as well thanks for sharing all the info.

edit – for any other potential question about gear, the man was so nice to share that here

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed those and look forward to future instalments.

I wonder how many takes the pole twirling scene took :)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

@willamc3 Just wait for the next instalment! There is a sweet triple pole flip – this one was only a double.

I actually dialed in the pole flips back on the Pacific Crest Trail, here’s back to back doubles:

YouTube video

I got to the next level on the GDT though – eventually landing my first quintuple flip. Naturally, my wife was very impressed.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

Impressive stuff! I look forward to seeing the triple. In the meantime, I’ll be going through your PCT videos.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Dan thank you very much for taking the time to edit and share these. My wife and I had been following your adventure on your blogs and it’s so much fun to see the “moving picture” version. Looking forward to enjoying the rest. For anyone looking for more in-depth coverage, read Dan’s blog, it’s very well-written with beautiful photos.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Thank you for sharing Dan.  That looks like an amazing trip and your videos are top notch.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

I just checked out the website (I just watched vids earlier)

Man!  Want an amazing trip report!  Amazing

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Third instalment is up. The much hyped triple pole flip is at 3:15 :)

YouTube video

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Wow Dan – excellent, detailed and useful trip report. And the videos look great (love the instrumental version of “Oceans” in chapter 2). You’ve inspired me to put a shorter trip together from South to central Jasper.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks Lester! Nice song ID skills ;)

Yeah that section in southern/central Jasper is awesome, other than that 2 hr slog up Owen creek (2:44 – 2:55 in video). The White Goat Wilderness (south of Jasper Park to highway 11) is at least as impressive as what’s in the park. The trail’s not as good, but it’s not that bad and there’s few people plus you don’t need permits/reservations. So it’s all stunning, but a fantastic trip would be starting from highway 11 through the White Goat, into Jasper at Cataract Pass and then exiting out Nigel Pass to Hwy 93. Perhaps 50 miles, but you could easily make this shorter (exit at Surprise Pass near Pinto Lake) or longer (exit at Pobokton).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools