Topic

Review: Hanchor Marl (42L Pack)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Review: Hanchor Marl (42L Pack)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Marl pack from Hanchor is a mid-sized, lightweight pack, similar to packs like HMG’s Windrider 3400, Gossamer Gear’s Gorilla and ULA’s Ohm 2.0. I’ve been using one for the past few months and I’ve really been impressed, so I’ve written up a rather verbose review on my blog:
    https://intocascadia.com/2017/05/06/review-hanchor-marl-42l-pack/

Compared to something like the Windrider, the Marl is a more refined, more capable and beefier. The suspension is a step beyond with the horizontal stay and load lifters, the pockets are better with waterproof fabric for the hipbelt pockets and better exterior mesh pockets, the material is tougher and the construction is better. It’s even cheaper ($265 vs. $340). Only real downside is the additional 4-6oz. Folks in the market for a capable mid-sized pack should check it out.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Thanks Dan.

The shoulder straps descending the length the pack overlay the hipbelt at the bottom. Do you feel any discomfort from those when you tighten the belt?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

No I don’t notice it. If anything, it’s like a bit of lumbar support. Quite a few packs have a bit of a bulge where the hipbelt interfaces (e.g. ULA, HMG). The 3D mesh foam used for the padding is pretty soft.

Chris H
    BPL Member

@chrishillery

Thanks for posting the excellent review Dan. I’ve been looking at upgrading my backpack and was interested in the Marl (probably from your earlier posts about it) but I couldn’t find any reviews online, so I was about to order a Southwest 3400 instead. I might go with the Marl now though as it’s exactly what I’m after and is ~$160 cheaper than the HMG including shipping to Australia.

The only thing I don’t like are the mesh side pockets so I emailed Hanchor about replacing them with XPAC VX21 pockets and they seem to be happy to do so.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

I really like the look of Hanchor’s pack and their suspension system. I just wish they made an XL size in torso larger than 21″.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN
    • “I find that I need to tighten the shoulder straps by an inch or so every hour or two.”

I’m not trying to be overly critical, but that is a pretty big problem for a backpack to have. Other that, seems like a solid pack at a fair price.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Yeah it is, but note that re-rigging the ladderlocks on the shoulder straps solves this. I tried to describe how to do it in the review, but here is a sketch (side view of the ladderlock):

So the free end just gets run through the ladderlock one more time. It’s still easy to adjust like this and hangs fine. Takes 5 seconds.

Chris H
    BPL Member

@chrishillery

I really like the look of Hanchor’s pack and their suspension system. I just wish they made an XL size in torso larger than 21″.

They also make a version for 21-24″ torso lengths but it isn’t listed on their site. I assume they wouldn’t get many orders for this size considering their location and instead make it ad hoc.

If anyone’s interested, they’re willing to swap the mesh on the side pockets with XPAC VX21 for an additional 500 TWD (~$16 USD) which seems very reasonable to me.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

“It’s still easy to adjust like this and hangs fine. Takes 5 seconds.”

Yeah, I get that. Guess I expect to not have that issue.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Here’s a picture showing a torso size XL on the left compared to a size L on the right. On the XL, the shoulder straps are attached about an inch higher.

I also wanted to say that after 3 more backpacking trips, totaling about 150 miles, that I haven’t experienced the shoulder strap buckle slipping that Dan has.

Packed up for a week wandering the Ritter Range.

Not a huge deal, but the fact that the bag stands up on its own is nice.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Alex thanks for posting that photo. What’s your torso size and did you go with the L or XL? My torso size is 21 in. Were there any other differences between the L and XL, such as volume of the pack bag?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

You’re welcome, Ethan. I received that photo directly from Hanchor via email when I asked a couple of questions regarding torso sizes. I’m a 19 1/4 torso and went with the size large torso, which fits pretty darn good. With a 21″ torso you’re absolutely looking at their size XL torso (21″-24″). While the large fits me really good, I wouldn’t mind a bit taller frame. Furthermore, the shoulder straps wrap about an inch below my shoulders and that’s comfortable, but I wouldn’t want much more. The size XL gains about 5-6 liters of volume over the L.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Thanks Alex that’s very helpful. If I fall on the line between L and XL I’m thinking go with XL partly based on my experience with the larger Osprey Talon 44 which is supposed to fit 21 in. and yet I could do with at least an extra inch of torso length especially with heavier loads. The extra bit of volume is welcome if the Marl XL will fit well. Based on your fit my wife with a 19.5 in torso would probably do best with the L (she has the men’s Medium Talon 44 and could also use an extra inch of torso length).

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I agree with Alex that you’ll want the XL. My torso is also around 19″ (don’t remember exactly) and the large fits fine but I wouldn’t want the torso any shorter.

I think the situation with the pack sizing is that the M and L use the same bag, and only differ in where the shoulder straps are attached at the top. The L moves this up 2″, so the load lifters are only ~2″ above the strap connection, compared to ~4″ in the medium. Then the XL pack has a taller bag and thus gains 5-6L and is able to position the load lifters about 4″ above the shoulder strap connection, which I think is ideal.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Thanks for the review.  That’s a nice looking pack overall.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools