Topic

DIMENSION-POLYANT Technical Fabrics: Properties and Development

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear DIMENSION-POLYANT Technical Fabrics: Properties and Development

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Nice!

Steve Chan
    Spectator

@sychan

Locale: SF Bay Area

I curious how Dan’s ( Wilderness Theadworks ) LS07 pack has held up, by now it should about 8 months of use. Does the face fabric hold up well to abrasion?

Wilderness Threadworks
    BPL Member

@wildernessthreadworks

Hi Steve,

I will get some photos together of the LS07 wear areas to more accurately show how it behaves on different pack components.

Cheers,  Dan.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Looking forward to your LS07 photos and wear details Dan.

Wilderness Threadworks
    BPL Member

@wildernessthreadworks

Hi guys,

Sorry for the lag between posts.
    The pack in the pictures below is my 36L pack, It’s been heavily used for well over 8 months now. I’ve used this pack for everything from gentle overnight hikes to abusive packrafting/bikepacking missions. This pack has been treated poorly, way overloaded and exposed to some off track brush. The body of this pack is LS07 and the bottom is LS42.
    I used LS07 on the side pockets as the real test for this fabric as this is a major point of contact on for any pack.

The pictures below shows skuff up on the pocket particularly on the hard edges of the pleats.

Cheers,
    Dan.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Thanks for the details Dan. Any idea how the waterproofness of the LS-07 held up under your usage conditions? And how well did the seams hold up to being overloaded and put under repeated stress?

It’s an interesting fabric with the waterproofing layer on the outside rather than inside, plus sandwiching a nonwoven fabric along with a woven layer. Your results are fairly encouraging for UL uses. With light loads on established trails and reasonably gentle use, LS-07 may last for years on low-wear surfaces (back and side panels, most of back panel, and roll top.

Wilderness Threadworks
    BPL Member

@wildernessthreadworks

No probs Lester,
    In the field the LS07 holds up well to water, and is comparable to VX21 or the like when the fabric is fresh and in good shape. Obviously once the thin outer is damaged any water resistance properties are out the window. During tests I have used sand paper to remove the outer coating and pushed water through the 70d backing without any trouble.
    The seam testing has surprised me a little, I use T70 bonded nylon thread to allow some stretch in this light fabric and it has been flawless. Sure there is some needle hole stretch out over time but it’s rather minimal so far.

The LS07 has also been field tested on the body of a 70L pack that has been a load hauler in the mountains treated with little care in harsh brush also. The results were as expected, the fabric was easy to puncture and couldn’t deal with heavy rock contact for long.

I agree Lester, I think this fabric will have great longevity if treated well as you would with most UL fabric. It excels at mostly on trail use with standard UL loads.

Cheers,
    Dan.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

There appears to be a problem with XPac’s clear PET membrane, minus the raised X. It was tested along with some other pack fabrics in a different forum thread Here

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

A brief look at the newer fabrics and the seam seal tape:
    https://backpackinglight.com/dimension-polyant-fabrics-backpacks-myog/
    Published today.

Cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools