Topic

Cascade Wild Ultralight Table

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cascade Wild Ultralight Table

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Was surprised not to find any mention of this using the search, so thought I’d share…

http://cascadewild.com

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Clever.  Lighter and less expensive than I would have guessed.

Adding a couple of matching chairs shouldn’t add more than an ounce?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

That’s awesome, I think I’m going to get one.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I follow a couple of Japanese hikers on Instagram and I have noticed they seem to use tiny low tables. I don’t know if there is a cultural reason for this habit or if it is just luck that I follow the people that like to carry little tables. As a person interested in product design and gear I’m interested to see these solutions but I’m not particularly motivated to carry one. I don’t know much about Japanese culture but these do remind me of bento boxes, low tables and tea ceremonies.

gel_c218 has a few images showing different tables:

metal table

wood table

scroll through this one to see some delicious looking food and a different metal table

scroll through this one for the wood table again

Also, lol @Daryl “Adding a couple of matching chairs shouldn’t add more than an ounce?”

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

The base material looks like coreplast.  There is some clever folding going on along with a few strategic snaps.  You could probably DIY the table but at that price, it would be hard to beat.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

To me low tables are kinda pointless. If the ground is flat enough to use the table, why not just use the ground?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

One use for it might be a way to keep your canister stove off the cold ground (maybe add a 8″ x 12″ piece of .125″ thick foam pad for a bit of insulation), and it could likely be positioned to be a level base in snow.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

For camping in the snow, I use a 10″ square sheet of coreplast and cover it with aluminum foil.  Works better than cardboard.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

That’s pretty awesome. Would be nice for filleting fish.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

The reason this interests me is because I hammock now so I don’t need level sites and sometimes the best sites have a bad slope. I would have to put something under one side to help level it but it would be nice for boiling water for sure.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Hoosier, if you made something that had folding legs you could leave one side folded up and a rock to level on a sloped surface.

What do you think of the tree tables popular over on Hammock Forums? Those have never appealed to me.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Nice weight at a decent price, but for me also it kinda falls in the category of fixing a problem that doesn’t exist.  I have always been able to find a flat spot on a rock or the ground to set a stove, and I carry a small ccf square anyway to help insulate from cooler/cold ground.  Two ounces, is, after all, still two ounces, and that is another fishing rod I could be carrying.  I would buy one if I could get a deal on it!

I might be a little on the grumpy side on this one, as I just read about Yeti’s new camp chair offering:  it holds 3,000 lbs and costs $300 but doesn’t even include a cup holder!  Talk about solving nonexistent problems, sheesh.  (Yes, different market.  But still.)

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

What do you think of the tree tables popular over on Hammock Forums? Those have never appealed to me.

Not at all a fan of tree tables, too heavy and take up too much space.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I do remember these being mentioned about a year ago on BPL(I don’t have time look it up right now)and I saw them in person at PCT days last summer in Cascade Locks.They are nice, light and reasonably priced but I have never needed a table so did not consider buying one, but I suppose if you need one for some reason it’s not a bad choice.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

They are good but not especially durable. The most use for them would be if you cook while on the trail and want a food prep space. Cheap though.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Nix!

To quote Clelland.

If you want one, get one. Do you need one? No.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Have you seen the take away chair? It is 2.5 pounds but a similar-ish look in a chair.

http://neotrekk.com/chairindex.html

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

I bought myself one of these tables! This guy was at PCT days last year. I’ve been doing more guiding, which means less mileage and more chores (including cooking). While the table is really low to the ground on its own, the legs are designed to allow it to securely straddle a log. It’s nice having a clean flat space off the ground when you have to prep ingredients and roll 16 wraps for lunch.

Kurt K
    Spectator

@kman

I have some 8.5 x 11 Coroplast sheets that might work. Maybe tape 2 together. They wouldn’t be elevated off the ground but would be a flat surface.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Could also be used as a pillow base a coat or piece of foam placed on top for cushioning.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

“the legs are designed to allow it to securely straddle a log.”

I’m still not buying one but that’s clever.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I reached out and bought two.  I like the idea and I’ll try it.  I’ll give the second one to a friend to try out.  For only $10/ea and 2.2 ounces it’s worth a try.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

So I just this table on Amazon JP, thought it was clever and discovered it has been out for over 2yrs now. So wondering how folks are getting on with it.

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

Nice design but if I were to bring a table, I think I’d go for one that mounts on a tree so I can stand and use my stove but have not seen any recent UL offerings.

Bob K
    BPL Member

@seventy2002

I’ve had one since they first came out, works great. Use a heat shield with a stove. If you like to play games with dice, flip it over and you have a flat surface and rim to contain the dice.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools