Topic

Boot Laces – What happened. Nobody has them

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Boot Laces – What happened. Nobody has them

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Litetrek – I’m sorry you don’t find value here but there are probably not many people on BPL that wear boots, as most wear trailrunners.

That being said, the last pair of boot laces I bought (for work boots), I ordered from Danner.   They also have some at my local Walmart an Target but perhaps they don’t in the Atlanta stores.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

I have tried trailrunners and don’t like them.  There are no laces available for boots or trail runners at REI.  We’re not worthy..  Laces which only cost a few dollars aren’t worth their time.  Good luck!

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Try shoe repair shops. Many carry a wide range of shoelaces. My husband just bought two pair, one for his hiking boots, one for tennis shoes. Call around and ask. If you know the length of laces you’re looking for it’s easy to ask them if they carry them. If you prefer round or flat that can make a difference, also ask about the color of laces. Don’t rely on websites, just call.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Black paracord. Want round laces? Leave the inner strands. Take them out if you want flat laces. Unless you’re putting your feet in peoples faces nobody will notice your laces. Spending six hours hunting laces looking for laces is ridiculous. Complaining to a bunch of strangers online admitting that isn’t wise either.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

Thanks Ken.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I bought a pair of Tobby Lifetime laces in England in 1979, when they wore out in 2015 I tried to find a warranty replacement only to find that Tobby were no longer a company in business.

I now use what most other people use, a length of US Style parachute cord [ military spec tho, not the cheap Chinese stuff ] even tho it seems to be not perfect it works. No need for parrels either, I simply flame melt and taper the ends. On one pair of military style work boots I used yachting grade shockcord and that has lasted over 4 years. Modern cord is so strong and robust and hard wearing that the only real criterion for shoelaces now is the ability to hold a knot

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Doubt you would want to put all your eggs in a White Blaze basket:  https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/70866/

EMS also dropped their laces, which were excellent, especially if you like laces with a little stretch.  The bigger they are, the harder they fail … to serve customers.  But our local shops, like Ragged Mountain in Glen NH, have plenty.  If you are not near any backpacking shops, the sources suggested earlier in this thread will provide them on line.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

About an hour ago I posted a fairly detailed and comprehensive post about my quest for laces.  It included an explanation of my response to Doug’s n/m (I misunderstood it), the reason why I care about what the laces look like, an apology for responding the way I did, and information on where I finally found some almost suitable laces.  There was absolutely nothing at all inappropriate or inflammatory about any of it yet for some reason it was deleted.  I spent an hour writing it. Annoying.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I just read it in the Whiteblaze.net is Anti-ultralight thread. Did you post it there by mistake?

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

as they say n/m that last post from me.  I posted what I wanted to say in the linked thread about whiteblaze.  Too many windows opened at once while watching TV.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

Anyhow.  The thread was originally about shoelaces and most of the people who responded missed my original point.  I need replacement laces for a pair of Merrell Moabs that I  wear to work.  I work in an office (with a written dress code) so homemade laces just wont cut it.  Big bruising lumberjack laces also are very out of place in an office.   I’m well aware of making my own from cord.

I was particularly frustrated after driving all over looking for laces.  I think everyone missed the absurdity of that.  Shoelaces used to be widely available.  For those of you who think I was crazy enough to waste hours of my day looking – I did not.  I went to 4 separate places and worked them into my regular routine.  I know – what I wrote makes it sound different.  Still, its absurd.  I live about 1.5 hours frm mountains crossings at neel’s gap on the AT.  I’m sure thy have something that would work for me but its a long drive for something I used to be able to get at REI.

I’m sorry that I responded in the way I did to Dave’s n/m comment but I had no idea what it meant and I thought it was meant to be derisive in some way.   He clarified that he was saying “never mind” to a post that he deleted.  n/m out of context (deleted post) was interpreted by me as this is a silly thread – don’t bother responding to it.   I responded in a way that was equally cryptic which was interpreted as being confrontational.  It was not intended that way – just meant as a post that means nothing to the intended recipient.  I wouldn’t do it again and I’m sorry that I did but I own it.

To the people who suggested buying online – yes obvious.  However,  what is available is often expensive and limited.  REI no longer carries laces for the boots and shoes the sell.  Eastern Mountain sports has what they sell on clearance.  I still have to go to work tomorrow and didn’t have time to wait for the mail.  Anything ordered Friday would probably arrive on Wednesday – tuesday if lucky.

The link to the white blaze thread is a rabid discussion of White Blaze and its policies. There are apparently many here who have been treated badly there.  I have never intentionally treated anyone badly on any internet forum and agree that its uncalled for.  I belong to nearly 10 on-line forums and misunderstandings occur fairly frequently although until this thread I’ve never been involved in one.  I’m sorry that any of you were treated badly by the moderator at white blaze.  I’ve never had any problems there. I have had some of my threads deleted over at hammock forums because they were not hammock oriented enough.  The moderator was adamant that my question about a good backpack for fitting all the stuff needed for hammock gear was not a hammock related question and as such it violated the terms of service.  It annoyed me and after several back and forth emails about it I just let it go.  Hammock camping is great but the bulkiness of some of the items makes it challenging to fit them into a compact pack – a uniquely hammocking problem. I just hope that guy, whoever it was, doesn’t get elected to political office.  So, for the point of discussion, I understand the comments made here about being censored.

I did cancel my subscription to backpacking light.  This place is just not for me.  I amend my comment though about providing no value.  That’s not quite true.  One member was kind enough to provide me some pictures and dimensions from his backpack.  That info was valuable.  I have started a few threads where I got some opinions.  Those were of limited value.  Still, for me,  I don’t need to be a member here.

I finally found some laces at Cabela’s yesterday.  They are too long, too thick and in other ways not quite right but they will work.  FYI, next time you need laces for your shoes REI no longer carries them,  Eastern Mountain Sports no longer carries them and you’ll be driving all over to find them.  If you plan ahead for a broken shoelace event you can order online and get something close for far more than you used to pay for them.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

Yes – see below.  Multitasking and watching TV didn’t work out for me this morning.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

FWIW, I’ve found good boot laces at Fred Meyer (Kroger) before. But I usually just order online at Amazon. For emergencies, I think 550 cord or bank line (my preferred cordage) work in a pinch. I keep bank line in my kit that goes with me whether it’s a day pack or a backpack.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

> I’m sorry that I did but I own it.

I gotta say… in today’s culture, an apology and taking responsibility for one’s actions are two VERY rare things, especially on line.  So, kudos to OP.

[Personally, when I see some abbreviation that I don’t know on line, I google it, and 99% of the time, figure out what it was — saves me responding to the wrong thing…but that’s just me.  I’ve had a few extremely negative exchanges on BPL over the several years I’ve been participating, but they were all from “young bucks” who lacked refinement and who were “here and gone” very quickly.  My good experiences have FAR overshadowed the bad, and there are folks on BPL whose actions and words make it a true “community” in every sense of the word.  And kudos to THEM, too!]

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

And while we’re on the subject of shoelaces, the best I’ve managed for aglets (noun, a metal or plastic tube fixed tightly around each end of a shoelace) is the smallest heat-shrink insulation for electrical wires

that I can slide over the lace, shrunk using a Bic lighter, and then trimmed.

Has anyone found a better option?

In a pinch, say, in the field, I’ll melt the nylon at the end and then twist it inside of a folded bit of cardboard to give a sealed, tapered, pointed end to it, but it can end up a little too sharp or too blunt so sometimes it takes a few tries.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

That works great for me David though I too cannot remember breaking a lace. And as one who has worn two different shoes to work (got dressed in the dark, literally.)and nobody noticed. If our poster would at least try it before outright condemning it he might be surprised. Last words of advice. Buy some loafers for work and never worry about this again. And don’t shop WalMart.

45 years of backpacking has to have instilled some resourcefulness.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

David, I like the heat shrink tip for aglets, especially useful when the lace is still good, but the plastic aglet has popped off. I’ve tried Gorilla glue and super glue, but they are messy.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

One more thing for John M. I don’t think Hammock Forums deletes posts unless they are offensive/political or such. More than likely, if it wasn’t specifically related to hammocks, it was probably moved to a forum topic that only paying members can view. They have a forum specifically for backpacks, but you have to be a paying member to view it’s content.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

“I have started a few threads where I got some opinions.  Those were of limited value.  Still, for me,  I don’t need to be a member here.”

You got over 100 replies to your 6 MYOG threads and by some real MYOG heavyweights too. If you don’t find much value in them, well, you’re right. This ain’t the place for you. Good luck with Whiteblaze.

Ryan

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

Thanks Ryan for validating my opinion.  white blaze cost me nothing.

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

Yes, that is what happened.  Not trying to  misinform – for me, a non paying member at the time, my post was deleted from my ability to access it.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

good idea about heat shrink for the aglet

Usually, a shoelace will break for me before the shoe wears out.  Maybe it will break, then I’ll tie the two ends together and use it for a while longer

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

“Thanks Ryan for validating my opinion.  white blaze cost me nothing.”

LOL (that means laugh out loud).  I frequent Whiteblaze. You’re gonna get your money’s worth. So long.

Ryan

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

“Yes, that is what happened.  Not trying to  misinform – for me, a non paying member at the time, my post was deleted from my ability to access it.”

You do realize that’s how it works, don’t you? You only get so much access free and then you have to pay for full access or active participation. It is a business filled with everyone’s opinion. Some helpful, some not. Take away what you find as helpful and ignore the rest without comment. Keep the peace, brother!

John M
    BPL Member

@litetrek

45 years of backpacking has taught me some resourcefulness.  I’ve use the heat shrink method on paracord, nylon cord cut to length with the ends melted, wire, dental floss and duct tape years and years ago. Nothing particularly new to me was suggested here. You can even use stout grass if that’s all you have.  Or go without laces …. But my question was about where people were getting their laces.  I found and ordered 9 more pairs laces at EMS on clearance for 98 cents so I’m good for a while.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • The topic ‘Boot Laces – What happened. Nobody has them’ is closed to new replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools