Topic

Boot Heels: Do they prevent slips?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Boot Heels: Do they prevent slips?

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Peter Stair
    BPL Member

@pcstair

Another factor is surprise. The slope where I fell wasn’t steep or long, and I wasn’t carrying a pack. I would call it the hiking equivalent of stepping off the curb onto invisible black ice.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I think those pebbles on slick rock are always a slip hazard. I go slow, use my poles, and plant my feet more carefully. Also no foot “slapping” which I tend not to do anyway, but I see people hiking like that – slap slap slap – with loud rapid steps.

About toes first – I was told by a Grand Canyon guide not to plant my feet sideways on steep sloping trails, but to have the toes pointed directly downhill. His thought was that if I do fall forward, if my foot is sideways I will twist and break an ankle or leg. But I was more concerned about falling on my head!! Fortunately, made it without falling.

Todd G
    BPL Member

@todd-goodenowgmail-com

Proprioception changes as we age and the brain receives signals from the nerves differently and this can lead to falls. Outside of the backpacking realm sometimes canes are suggested not for weight bearing but to give the brain another point in space. The same principle could apply with trekking poles. Not sure if this applies in your scenario but can be a factor.

David P
    BPL Member

@tostada

I would agree that the combination of stiffness in the sole for edging and a heel makes a difference on loose, pebble-y terrain, is especially helpful crossing talus when only a small area of the sole is in contact with the tip of a rock, and that overall the heel can act like a “macro-lug.”

Peter Stair
    BPL Member

@pcstair

Just to put this “slip” in perspective, I had no trouble in August hiking (not crawling) down Jackass Pass toward Big Sandy, with a pack, in the rain, on steep, wet, granite slabs and ravines. Then, in December, I slip on a little, nothing dirt hill because the same boot had <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>no traction</span>. I attribute the “slip” to bad luck, but if I can mitigate my risk with a change in boot, I want to do it.

Ted C
    BPL Member

@ted2009me-com

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear about your fall and fracture!  I’d be interested in hearing about what you and others helping you did to sustain you during your ordeal.

No shoe or boot is going to work well in all conditions and the circumstances you described might be beyond the ability of any shoe or boot.  I certainly agree that a sharper / firmer heel would move in a good direction for dealing with your scenario.  However, most of our shoes now are made to absorb more shock and to be less damaging to the trail.  Neither of these characteristics are desirable for the conditions you described.  Carrying spikes is still easier on the body than wearing heavier shoes.  So that’s what I’d opt for.

Peter Stair
    BPL Member

@pcstair

Ted, Thanks for your interest. It wasn’t as much of an ordeal as it may sound in the telling. I was able to walk, make it down a steep path about 400 ft. and drive home on my own. My companion went ahead of me on the downhill to make sure I didn’t fall again. The recovery has been fairly painless. I did my first, short day hike today with no issues. Yay!

Matt Wells
    BPL Member

@mattwells

Locale: Arnesby

Being worried about slipping and falling following an injury like the one you describe can really take the fun out of hiking and backpacking. I had a trail running accident on a muddy down-hill that resulted in torn ligaments in my foot and ankle. Post-recovery, I had to completely re-evaluate my footwear for hiking as well as running and 6 years later I’m still experimenting. What I would say is that foot strength, lower leg strength and balance are as, or more important than what you wear on your feet – particularly as you get older. Things that have worked for me are; switching to barefoot shoes for day-to day use (not hiking) – to strengthen my feet; doing single leg strength exercises like split squats and calf raises for bi-lateral leg strength; and daily, single leg, yoga-style exercises for balance – https://www.weeviews.com/rundown/single-leg-exercises-yoga (warrior pose III is challenging but good).

Regarding shoes, I have yet to find the perfect pair. I use Altra Lone Peaks for distance but whilst they are comfortable, they are sloppy and terrible if it’s icy or muddy. If i’m out for the weekend with a very light pack the stripped down version of the Mudrock or Xtalon by Inov8 are very good and reliable but have no cushion and don’t work on hard trails. I’ve never tried them but I have several friends who swear by LaSportiva shoes or mids. They sound like they could be a solution to your issue as they have aggressive treads and are from a brand with a long heritage in mountaineering boots that has moved in to trail running shoes. The reason I’ve not bought any yet is that they have a very narrow last and I prefer a wider toe box to accommodate my new found toe splay. I briefly went back to more rigid boots, some kind of Salomons but they weren’t the answer. I wore them twice then sold them on ebay. Footwear choice feels like the biggest kit-compromise I have to make. Perfection, at least for me – is something that mostly works, most of the time.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

The Keen Targhee has a pretty aggressive sole with a bit of a heel. It’s a pretty durable shoe. I had Chaco’s before with a Vibram sole on some pretty steep hills. It was actually a water shoe. Not much rise. La Sportiva had good traction. I forget which ones I had. I bought the wife a pair of Timberlands once. The rubber compound was too hard and she slipped everywhere.

I trust the Vibram soles. They’ve always been one of the best for grip.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“What I would say is that foot strength, lower leg strength and balance are as, or more important than what you wear on your feet – particularly as you get older.”

yeah!

I was noticing problems with balance, like crossing a stream or putting my pants on.  More likely to fall.

I bought a new house with less work to do, so not enough exercise

I started doing squats with 5 pound dumbells and my balance is much better.  10 squats, repeat 3 times.  I also do exercise bike for 36 minutes.

Maria B
    BPL Member

@mber

I don’t know about heels v. not heels as I don’t think I’ve had a functional boot with a distinct heel in decades. I have found soles of shoes generally performing better in wet conditions than in gritty / sandy / gravelly ones. Even my running shoes on pavement feel slippery when there is any grit at all, but are totally fine in a rainstorm. I wonder if whatever material they’re using for soles these days is optimized to stick so well that it attracts the grit that makes it slippery in dry conditions?

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools