Topic

A NEW PARADIGM FOR ANALYZING PWPB SYSTEMS LIKE THE COLUMBIA OUTDRY EX FEATHERWEI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A NEW PARADIGM FOR ANALYZING PWPB SYSTEMS LIKE THE COLUMBIA OUTDRY EX FEATHERWEI

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 235 total)
  • Author
    Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

It was raining hard today so I left the jacket outside. This is the result after around 4 hours:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ytwjok2nk0u9mzh/AADp87tvkGR3qrdJCScsH1Mqa?dl=0

Can anyone confirm that this is “normal”?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Christoph,

Did you end up sending pics to Columbia? I dont see how it could be normal.

Ryan

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

I sent the pics to Columbia International as well as Europe – no response so far. Will ask again today.

I did another test: Formed a bowl with water with both my Rab Event Jacket and the Columbia jacket and left it for some hours. The Rab stayed dry, Columbia leaked, not much but it did:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ytwjok2nk0u9mzh/AADp87tvkGR3qrdJCScsH1Mqa?dl=0

(last two pictures with the large dark spot)

It would be good if anyone could test this as well. I noticed that the wetting out (dark spots) appears faster in the rain than with the static pool of water, not sure why. It does not let through a lot of water though, but you can clearly see it does. I thought that this won’t happen with that fabric.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Christoph,

The material is defective and should be warranty replaced by Columbia.

The jacket that I tested had no discoloration or leakage

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Richard…Thank you for your input on this ongoing thread……!!

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Thanks, Richard – Meanwhile, after some more pressure, I received an answer from Columbia.
    They also told me that it must be a defect and I should return the jacket.

It’s a pity since I’ll be on a trip this weekend where I need the jacket :/

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Christoph,

I confirmed my jacket also failed the “water in a bowl” challenge. I emailed Columbia. Anyone with these jackets should do some testing before they’re used in the field.

Ryan

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Oh my…  Did you also have the dark spots?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Spots – yes.  My MH Super Plasmic rain jacket held held up just fine during the same test.

Ryan

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Any information on serial number/batch number for these defective shells?  Buying something on sale isn’t any good, if it has to be returned.  I was wondering whether to jump on the sale, or wait for the next iteration of the jackets.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Bought one on sale from Columbia two weeks ago.  Large, Blue.

Did the “bowl test” on two sections of fabric, the first one for an hour, the second one for two hours – NO spots.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

As mentioned with the bowl it took a bit longer. In (moderate to heavy) rain it was visible after about an hour.

I’ll return the jacket now, but I guess they will just refund me the money. Unfortunately, in Europe, it seems quite hard to get these jackets for a reasonable price at the moment.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Heads Up: Blue (“Carbon”) version of Outdry Ex Featherweight going for $80 on sierra trading post

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

So I returned my last jacket, bought again a new one, did the test again. Same problem.

Some spots are okay, some spots wet through after a few hours. This is the 3rd jacket I have with the same problem, it seems as if Columbia has some serious production issues here..

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Christopher,

Is the jacket placed in the bowl with the water repellent surface facing the two cups of water?

Please post a picture of the wetting pattern on your replacement jacket.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Hi Richard,

Yes. Here are some pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzomwoq743tuwbb/IMG_20181111_124749278.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzgedfyzh1jgass/IMG_20181114_232416098.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0wisqo2gqasqn1g/IMG_20181114_232424699.jpg?dl=0

According to my last messages with Columbia, this should not happen. As mentioned I did the same with my Event jacket, which did not have any issues during the same amount of time.

As already written, I noticed this to happen in rain (3-4 hours) with my first and second jacket. It looked the same.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

I am on a 1 1/2 month trip and won’t be back to the office for three weeks. I have the jacket, I originally tested, with me and have used it a number of times in the rain. I haven’t noticed any discoloring but I will bowl test it again to seen if that will cause discoloring. It has now been stuffed and unstuffed significantly more than when I first tested it.  I will post an updated picture after I soak it for at least four hours.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Thanks Richard!

I noticed that the results varied with different parts of the jacket (as you can see in the pictures). For some it took longer. However, after I leaving it overnight almost all spots I tested showed this pattern.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

The water is drawing into the hydrophilic (water loving) PU membrane layer. Christoph, what did Columbia say should happen with such testing?

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

I explained how I tested this – as I’m not sure if it makes sense. However, they did not comment this, they just told me that it shouldn’t look like this and I need to return it.

The patterns looked the same though when I used the jacket in actual (hard) rain.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I bought one a month or so ago direct from Columbia.  It passed the bowl test fine.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

I placed the Columbia Featherweight, I originally tested, in a bowl with the exterior side up. I then poured in two cups of water and cinched the water ball with a rag. I placed this cinched water ball unsupported in a 70F room for 24 hours. After draining the water, the exterior was stained a darker color and the liner side was damp to the touch.

My tentative analysis is the same as Stumphges’. In the absence of a normal driving force (higher temp and/or humidity on on the liner side, water moved from the normal external side to the normal internal side and darkened the fabric. I have not seen this before because I have always had a normal driving force  when testing or using this garment. I do not interpret this as a design problem.

The Clausius-Clapeyron Equation, or one of the alternative regressions of the actual physical process, can be looked at if the term “driving force” is not understood.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Hydrophobic outer layer?

I just received my Columbia Outdry EX Featherweight, color Carbon (it’s blue). I ran the arm under the sink a while ago and noticed that there was almost no beading of the water as one sees when water interacts with a hydrophobic surface (e.g. DWR-treated fabric).

I set the jacket aside without brushing off the water. 15 minutes later I walked by the jacket and noticed that it appears as though each drop of water sitting on the surface of the fabric was soaking in. Maybe I’m imagining things.

But it was my understanding that this jacket had a hydrophobic outer coating that caused water to bead up and run off the otherwise exposed PU membrane.

Has anyone observed water beading up and running off this jacket, or does water just set there waiting to be brushed/shaken off?

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

@chbla

Christoph,

do you work with fiberglass by chance?

Jordan Moore
    BPL Member

@coldfeet

I want one…size Large in Carbon. I see the Black is still available, but I am a bit shy about wearing black shells, I hold onto the idea that a colored shell might differentiate me from some of the other large mammals here in AK. Anyone see a Large-Carbon out there? Thanks.

-Jordan

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 235 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools