Topic

A NEW PARADIGM FOR ANALYZING PWPB SYSTEMS LIKE THE COLUMBIA OUTDRY EX FEATHERWEI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A NEW PARADIGM FOR ANALYZING PWPB SYSTEMS LIKE THE COLUMBIA OUTDRY EX FEATHERWEI

Viewing 10 posts - 226 through 235 (of 235 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I wonder why Columbia has seemed to scale back Outdry EX products or not created a Mountain Hardwear variant?  It seems like a cost effective option to Gore Tex Shakedry.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I took the Columbia Outdry Ex Reign which is almost 18 oz for a large on the PCT Washington section hike in 2019. It endured several days of 8+ hours of rain with no issues – my average was 17 miles of hiking per day – 27 to 30 lbs. Did sweat on and off – but, I was completely dry on the inside as well when I reached camp for the evening. I did not use this for insulation as I did not want to damage the rain jacket – so for insulation in the mornings, I would use a windshirt.

Since it did so well – I got the Ex Featherweight after I returned.  I just did the 2 cup test on the Featherweight – seems like I have a good one. Will test it out in cold rain expected next couple of days.

I am surprised they discontinued the Ex Featherweight – perhaps they are seeing too many quality control issues a this weight? I do see the Reign – heavier version is still available.

Skurka did a review of the H5 Goretex Shakedry and he liked it. I think when I read it a review, it said that the sleeves at the wrists is not a cuff – it is a weird open sleeve and so at least one reviewer complained that his forearms got wet using the H5.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Skurka’s most recent review said he used an umbrella in combination with an H5 Here

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

There is a H5 dedicated review he did and it is https://andrewskurka.com/review-gore-wear-h5-gore-tex-shakedry-jacket/

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

The material in the Gore H5 looks like a real winner.  I just wish we would have more choices.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I am not sure if a rain jacket is worth $380:-)..8.1 oz! I will not mind carrying an extra 8 oz and just carry the bomber Ex Reign!

Outdry Ex Blitz is around 13 oz for Size L and is around $52.

Outdry Ex Featherweight is 7.24 oz for Size M – discotinued?

Outdry Ex Reign is almost 18 oz for Size L – which I own and have used in 8+ hour rains multiple days

We just need to find one more Outdry jacket that is lighter than 13 oz:-)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I am not sure if a rain jacket is worth $380
    Not when there are many cheaper alternatives, just as effective.
    Seems reasonable though as a street fashion price.

Cheers

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

The h5 shakedry hooded has been on sale in the past for $199 at times. I would pay that..maybe in that blue color.

Columbia has this year the columbia/montrail Outdry Ex Lightweight shell which seams to be targeted at the running market hence the montrail branding.

urbanoutfitters website columbia outdry ex lightweight

YouTube video

Not really sure what the details are.

They also have the same product name used in a seemingly different jacket in the European market?”  https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/columbia-outdry-ex-lightweight/137393841/p This one looks more promising and is the same price range but still no details on how lightweight and specs on the shell materials. Anyone willing to take the plunge?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I hate how Columbia doesn’t post weights on products.  If “lightweight” or “featherweight” is in the name, obviously they are marketing the light weight as one of the features of the garment, don’t they think they should post the weight of that garment.

…and wow at the branding – is that a big enough logo!

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Viewing 10 posts - 226 through 235 (of 235 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools