Topic

A NEW PARADIGM FOR ANALYZING PWPB SYSTEMS LIKE THE COLUMBIA OUTDRY EX FEATHERWEI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A NEW PARADIGM FOR ANALYZING PWPB SYSTEMS LIKE THE COLUMBIA OUTDRY EX FEATHERWEI

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 235 total)
  • Author
    Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Futurelight is actually not too different from NeoShell but claimed to be more durable.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Unless FutureLight is permanently water repellant I don’t see the point. DWR-reliant rainwear is doomed.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I too belive the future of raingear is DWR-less but we are yet to see how these technologies hold up long term.  Gore’s Shakedry up until recently was not rated for backpacking use – they do have a backpacking rated jacket out now, but as far as I know, nobody has tried it.  Gore Shakedry’s performance was pretty good from what I understood, but it’s only been out a couple of seasons and in a limited number or shells.

Columbia’s Outdry EX has gotten some pretty good reports as well, but it doesn’t seem to be as breathable as other techs.  I have a Featherweight, but haven’t gotten to really test it out in a good rain.  It’s a new tech too, so we don’t have ton’s of people that have put lots of hours in their jackets yet to see how it’s going to hold up over the long haul.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

It’s not doomed. Dwr use case scenarios outside of UL backcountry multi-treks still vastly out number the limited number of runners and Very very careful UL backpackers that will see permanent beading surfaces as an option.

On another note: has anyone had experiences with outdry in wet snowing conditions?

Fyi – the use I have found absolutely terrific for outdry is a sorrel boot. This is 1000% better than a gortex liner boot or Neoshell. I’m not really a fan of new materials and very skeptical. But if trying to wet out these boots everywhere and they just seem to do great. So I think it’s a really nice place for outdry place.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Hanz – I know now Gore’s DWR less tech is focused on runners and VERY careful UL backpackers, but I think you will see the tech trickle down to the whole GTX lineup.  I also think that Gore going DWR-less will push the more of the proprietary WP/B techs to start researching that direction as well.  I have had brush ruin the DWR on a new rainshell in a day.  DWR has become significantly less durable since C8 was replaced with C6 and obviously sent companies looking for alternatives.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

I’m no fan of dwr. See my profile pic on day two of a drizzle in my emergency poncho bc of bad dwr.

I guess there are Enviromental pressures I didn’t consider with respect to dwr that might push companies toward material science instead of biochemicals to produce new dwr; but when I watch my parents walk in an rei and ask for rain jackets for their next trip, I’m sure certain it won’t be a consumer driven research shift.

And I guess I forget that Columbia does make sturdier options of the outdry featherweight jacket that aren’t suitable for me. I wonder how those versions are holding up?

Hanz B
    BPL Member

I just wore my featherweight outdry through its 5th storm. It’s still holding up. I do notice that the membrane “pores” or something tend to stand up almost like goosebumps in harder warmer rains. This storm was like 84 F degrees so it was interesting to assess breathability.  While I wasn’t backpacking I did notice that I both stayed relatively dry, and I was able to stay relatively* comfortable walking around at a fast pace. I wasn’t sweated-out. I had some expected perspiration in the armpits and very small on the chest but other areas usually effected in my goretex pro jacket like my upper arms and back,  stayed warm but dry. Very cool.  I do like shaking it dry after a storm. The only part I notice wetting out after 5 storms is the very center of the zipper line (like 1mm wide very central part) around the chest area). Hope this is helpful.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

Hi Richard the updated  PDF is no longer accessible. Can you provide a new link please. Ta.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
    Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Ta Richard.

Jimmy Legs
    Spectator

@jimmy-legs

I am beginning planning a through hike of the CT next summer during monsoonal season.  My existing jacket is a Montbell Versalight (older version) which has served me well but I’ve been more of a fair weather backpacker and never taken a trip >1 week or needed it for extended rain.  I’m concerned about the reliability of the DWR during a through hike when there is a strong rain potential every day.

It seems that the Outdry Featherweight may be a good jacket for my thru hike?  My concern is that I haven’t seen any conclusive long term reviews/updates that are very informative.  Thoughts?  Should I get one?

Thanks!

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Jimmy,

I have been field testing the garment referenced in my pdf for two years. I have yet to experience any problem.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

It seams that Columbia is out of stock of the Caldorado and Ex Featherweight and they will not be “go forward” products according to one CS rep via live chat.

Jimmy, you may need to explore Columbia’s heavier options or consider Gore brand h5 shakedry hooded shell which is supposed to be better for backpacking than the previous shakedry options available.

Jimmy Legs
    Spectator

@jimmy-legs

Well nevermind, I need a medium or large and yesterday there were larges in stock at Columbia but no longer so I’m a day late…Thanks for the responses.  Eric, I’ll look into the H5 Shakedry.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I just used the Featherweight for 2 solid days of cold blowing rain on the AT.  The jacket worked well. There was some sweating but it really seemed to do a pretty solid job and dwr was not a problem. My hiking partners all wetted out.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Like Richard, I found the Outdry never wet out, but I was dissatisfied with breathability. Until it wets out, I found my eVENT DVL shell noticeability more comfortable and ultimately switch back to it.

Jimmy… besides the Gore H5 Shakedry, Montbell has a produced the Peak Dryshake which looks good if you size M or L.

An update on the trail running Arc’teryx Novan SL.  The redesigned zipper (2019) which now has a zipper guard seems to have addressed the leaking problem. The breathability is remarkable.  I can maintain 70% max heart-rate (~210 watts modest jogging flat  / agressive hike up ~10% grade)for 30 minutes in 50F temperature wearing shorts, featherweight ss shirt, and novan sl without sweating.  At around 30 minutes I start to sweat, but if I showed down I found any sense of moisture cleared within 10 minutes.  I have been using it with a super ultralight pack on roads and trails.

–mark

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Yes my results echo Richards- the COEF is a fine-two winters and going strong. Tried to buy another when they were vanishing recently to put away. Now I am cursing that a year ago when I saw them for about $150 Aus I didn’t get another.

For the price they were at their peak they were a bargain.

Vale COEF.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Mark, I was aware of the Montbell Peak shell, however,After a bit of internet research, I was not able to determine if this is using the newer more durable and heavier shakedry versus the previous more fragile version. The weight would make sense being in between the norvan sl running shakedry and Gore’s H5 but the “warning” certainly makes me heed caution.

Does anyone actually know? I have yet to e-mail either companies about this. Has anyone else?

Jimmy Legs
    Spectator

@jimmy-legs

i don’t know either, but once i saw Montbell’s disclaimer i decided to rule it out for a wet weather thru hike.

avi sito
    BPL Member

@avisito

I have the jacket. How can I help? What should I measure?
    also wrote a short review of my experience with it here in bpl …

Jimmy Legs
    Spectator

@jimmy-legs

Thank you Avi – I just read your review from last August. How many hours would you estimate that you now have wearing the jacket with a pack on? Daypack or overnight? And how has it held up since your August review, particular at pack abrasion locations? Thank you!

avi sito
    BPL Member

@avisito

So I’ve only used it in August in Lapland. This was a fairly rainy two-week hike, 13 nights outside. I’d estimate 60 hours of wear under constant rain. I was carrying 10 days of food in an Arcblast, probably started with 12 kgs, down to 5kgs at trail end.

As mentioned in the review I’ve seen no abrasions whatsoever, surprisingly I’d say :-).
    I’ll hike a bit more in the winter, but probably not with a lot of usage since winter is not too wet where I live. Will update if I see any changes.

Personally, I think Montbell is just very honest and cautious and probably all other manufacturers should state the same warnings. I respect Montbell for this…. regardless I was REALLY impressed by the jacket’s performance.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

It looks like Columbia has discontinued the Outdry EX Featherweight and Colorado jackets.  They do still have some Outdry EX Jackets but of course they don’t list weights so it’s hard to tell if one is direct replacement or not.

I’ve used my Featherweight quite a bit hiking and running and though it could use some additional mechanical ventilation, it has been waterproof and does not wet out.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Brad:

I suspect you are right about your ventilation statement.  My MVTR test placed the Featherweight at the bottom of the 20 WPB membranes I have tested so far.  Shakedry has the best MVTR  of the WPBs I have tested.  I am presently wearing the Montbell Shakedry for hiking and running.  I will eventually write a review of how it fares.  If you are willing to be very careful with it, I think it is a good bet.  I have an H5 here also that was sent to me to test physical properties.  It has minor damage that impacts it water proof performance.  The jacket was  used for backpacking for several months and, according to the owner, not subject to abuse other than one short bushwacking excursion.  So, it is unclear why the failures occured.  At this point, the bottom line is, if you buy one of these, treat it with a higher level of care than you would for a more robust WPB.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

I have a featherweight outdry. Still no issues 1 year out. you know an outdry featherweight with pit zips and a longer waist drop in the back might have been incredible…

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 235 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools