Topic

favorite high elevation summer down puffy??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) favorite high elevation summer down puffy??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

So in my continued inability to commit to things, I have been through many a puffy: montbell ex light, alpine light, WM flash XR, etc.

i loved the teeny-ness of the exlight, but do wish it had a hood and pockets (the anorak maybe??). The women's alpine light was so NOT warm in any way. The WM flash XR is awesome, but it is relatively bulky (as compared to the ex light) and weighs 12 oz.

I'm thru-hiking the CT this summer (june 28-Aug 5 ish) and am at a loss as to what to do about my insulation layer. I really really love the WM, but not sure I need something that warm for the high rockies in July (but maybe I do?). I sold the ex light…but might purchase either the anorak or perhaps the Backcountry-similar Hadron.

So would I appreciate the increased warmth and comfort of the WM? I am sadly losing my cold tolerance lately, but the ex light was OK in the sierra the past two years. Decisions decisions decisions……

What is your favorite down piece for high elevations in the summer? Bring the wonderful WM? or go for a super-light insulating down piece? And what else should I consider??

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

It's the budget option, but I've been really happy with my Uniqlo UltraLight Down Parka. 9 oz for a small (fits like a medium) and it keeps me warm down to 40º without a problem—and that's now that I've acclimated to living in LA. It should strike a happy medium between the WM and the ExLight.

The newer versions look even nicer. They've added DWR-treated down and an aluminized inner fabric for a little extra warmth.

My only complaint was the loose fit on the hood, but a little quick stitchery cinched down the opening to a custom fit.

Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

I don't have a ton of experience with a lot of different puffies, but what I do know is I personally like a beefier puffy for anything above 10k no matter what time of year.

For example I use a GoLite Bitterroot for 3 season high Rockies trips.

If you are the type to get cold easily, I can't think of a better way to spend the extra 3 to 5 ounces on a cozy puffy.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I backpack quite a bit in Colorado in the Summer. I generally just take a puffy vest (Patagonia Down Sweater Vest). The only times I might be cold would be late evening or early morning while at camp. In those cases you can simply wrap your quilt around you for additional temporary warmth. I wouldn't carry full puffy jacket just for those occasions.

Edit: I am not generally cold in the evening/morning in mid summer with the above approach. Towards the end of August I might substitute a full down sweater style puffy for warmth down to the upper 30's.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I bought a Brooks Range hooded 900 fill anorak puffy on a spectacular sale two years ago. The Alpini, before it went to downtek (probably why it went on sale.) it weighs 13 or 14 oz.s I bought it for the price point, but I must say that I'm really happy with this piece. the shell does not leak feathers, unlike my beloved WM vest and other down jackets I've owned. The hood is just fantastic in every way. This is a bulky piece, but it's so warm that I've eliminated at least one of my layers, so things even out in terms of bulk and weight. I've converted to a 'fewer layers, one monster warm jacket' philosophy. I know the potential downside of this, but I'm happy with the results. Warm in the mornings, toasty in the evenings. And what a pillow! However, you may need to size up your shell if you want to wear that over this piece.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Just picked up a Goosefeet down Sweater, http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=99137 This will be my go-to piece for Sierra hiking.

Happened to fit me just about perfect. Very impressed with the quality, loft, and weight. From what Ken said, original cost was $250. But after trying it on, I could see paying that. Loft is more than my FF Daybreak, for comparison.

Steve

Anonymous
    Inactive

"So would I appreciate the increased warmth and comfort of the WM? I am sadly losing my cold tolerance lately, but the ex light was OK in the sierra the past two years. Decisions decisions decisions……"

Maybe pair the Ex Light shirt with a WM Flight vest plus your hat of choice and either a windshirt or WPB shell. I've been using an Ex Light/BMW Cocoon vest plus shell and hat for years with excellent results in the Sierra, and just switched to a WM Flight vest this year to replace the Cocoon for additional warmth, as I've found myself getting cold easier with age. I don't think you need a hood if you have a hood on your windshirt or WPB shell. Your beanie will provide the insulation, and the hood of the shell/WPB will eliminate convective heat loss. The ex light/vest combo will minimize your weight when combined with windshirt/shell, which you're already carrying. My 2 cents.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Anytime I head to altitude during the summer I pack my MB Mirage, a bit overkill
    but have never regretted packing it.

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

Well, I'll be doing the same thing as you (much longer time frame to do side trips, visit with friends in CO), and I'm sorta embarrassed to admit that I just ordered a Uniqlo jacket to supplement my MH Ghost Whisperer (too cold) and FF Ellia (too heavy, but mmmmmm-warmmmmm).

I'm hoping it will be the perfect, Goldilocks solution to the CT problem, esp. since I want to do as many 14ers as I can, which will mean a lot of camping at altitude (colder!).

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I'm not sure how well summer kit in the sierra translates to the CDT. I've never hiked in Colorado.

I've come to be willing to carry a few extra ounces of down for the provided warmth rather than skimp in this area. I happily don't carry a phone, for example, to more than compensate for this.

However, as soon as you start having to combine down pieces to reach a comfort level, I think that a single hooded puffy with more down makes more sense.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Here in the warm, sunny PNW I don't carry a puffy in the summer. For shoulder season, I carry a Nunatak Skaha vest. I am usually on the move until just before bed time. On occasion, I have been a bit chilly just before bed or for a bit in the morning until I get moving. I guess it depends on your hiking style and cold tolerance. I usually get one hike a year in Colorado, and have found it much warmer then the PNW at high elevations. If you insist on a full size puffy, I would look at Borah Gear. Looks like are closed for another month, but might be worth a look.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

I'm planning a similar trip on the CT this summer. Going through the same selection process. Going with some form of grid fleece hoody(ala Cap 4) with either a puffy vest or Jacket.

Thinking about ordering a Uniqlo dridown jacket and giving it a shakedown cruise while its still cold out.

Has anyone here used a Patagucci Nano Puff Jacket to their satisfaction in summer alpine hikes?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I'm not sure how well summer kit in the sierra translates to the CDT. I've never hiked in Colorado."

I spent 4 days out there yo yo-ing up/down 14er's in 2008, and I didn't notice a lot of difference, other than the regular thunderstorms, which didn't affect my choice of gear at all. Just my experience, though

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Tom,

If you were going to make that same trip again this year, what insulting layers would you take?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I dig the Outdoor Research Incandescent jacket. This spring/summer/fall, it'll be part of my sleep system with a 3/4 length sleeping bag, justifying the weight (16oz @ 800 FP).

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronufl

If you tend to run on the cold side, take the WM. The weather can change pretty quickly above treeline in Colorado, and I don't think you'll regret carrying a few more ounces for a warm jacket when you need it.

When I hiked the CT (in August), I used a feathered friends daybreak and was quite happy.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

That wm is a mighty fine choice, but mb or bc anoraks would be sufficient for those conditions as well. Though the CO Rockies are high altitude the CT stays relatively low most of the time. Considering you already have a 12 oz puffy, something like the mb anorak makes good sense (to UL types at least) at 6 oz. The warmth of your sleeping system might play a factor too. I did regret camping high up one July night on the CT when I decided to leave behind my puffy entirely, in my 40ish degree quilt.

I've always wanted an ex light, but hated the lack of drawcord & pockets, and I always prefer a hood, so the anorak was an obvious choice. The kango pocket is really nice, as is the hood and hidden cinch cord. Great piece for summer in CO.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I consider my selection of my jacket is more useful in what I have for a bag/ quilt.

If you already sleep cold, then going to a lighter jacket means being colder while sleeping.
    So if you go lighter on the jacket will this affect you?

Another issue is if the lighter jacket will keep you warm sitting around before going to sleep.

If you are that indecisive but have the money to spend, I would call Goosenfeet and have him make a spec jacket to your liking.
    It could be 7 ounces and as warmer as the WM flash XR.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

It's the blue EB DownLight jacket in my avatar. Very light (800 fill) and compact when stuffed in a little OP roll-top waterproof stuff sack.

BTW, I f I expect chillier temps I add the EB Storm Down (Down Tech DWR) vest under the jacket.

Both are in the EB First Ascent line.

Brendan Lammers
    BPL Member

@mechb

Locale: Washington DC

I have to strongly second the Uniqlo UL down parka. Just because it's inexpensive does not mean it's cheap–the quality is excellent. It fits your hood and pocket requirements, and it's probably right in the warmth range you are looking for (warmer than the Ex-Light, not as warm as the WM jacket I'd assume). I just weighed my men's medium and it's 8.7oz. I agree that you could safely size down if you want a closer fit, though I love that my medium has a long enough torso and arms for my lanky body and isn't too baggy. They also sell it in a DryDown-esque edition now (as well as varieties with Andy Warhol and Keith Harring prints on the inner lining–it is a "fashion" company after all…they're actually pretty cool). The only slight downside is that the zipper can sometimes get derailed if you aren't careful.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Wait, the Ex Light is warmer than the Alpine Light?

I carried an Alpine Light through the Sierra and I was only happy to have it one time. Every other time I used the UL Down and it was fine. I don't think a hood is at all necessary for mild summer temps.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I did the CT back in 2013, trip report is here:

http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/sad-amongst-friends-the-colorado-trail.399/

I used a Montbell UL Down Jacket (older version with press stud closure) paired with a Black Rock Down Beanie and found it fine for around camp. On the trail I usually wore a windshirt over a LS Arcteryx Motus until I'd warmed up in the mornings. I did not use any other insulation in the daytime. Pants were Haglofs 3/4 shorts.

I've just bought a PHD Ultra Down Pullover though – it is a lovely piece….but only employed for dog walking in the park thus far!

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

I recommend the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer. I have the Extra light jacket and the Ghost Whisperer is warmer and almost as light. Plus it has pockets.

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

2 thoughts Jen

+1 on Randy's $0.02…does it make sense to sit in camp with a "heavy" puffy while your 1-2 lb down bag sits unused? Shouldn't you challenge yourself to eliminate that redundancy?

a Bottom Line of sorts – which side do ya wanna err on…being too cold or too warm?
    Idea: hold in one hand an item that weighs the same as the weight difference you are ultimately debating, be it 6-8-10 oz whatever, and ask yerself that Q. That oughta get you close 2 yer truth!

be warm, be dry, feel the earth, touch the sky!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If you were going to make that same trip again this year, what insulting layers would you take?"

MB Ex Light down shirt, WM Flight vest over Arcteryx Phase AV base layer.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools