Topic

Water Strategy

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedNov 17, 2014 at 9:39 am

"What makes you sure the pills at your local store are what they say they are? ;0)"

Good point

Seems like if I get it from National chain pharmacy it's a little more likely to be better than a website I don't know about

Robert Blean BPL Member
PostedNov 17, 2014 at 9:57 am

Ca & Mg — remember that the real point was to make a homemade electrolyte drink. That means the forms of Ca and Mg you suggest must be (a) highly bioavailable and (b) easily dissolved in cold water and (c) suitable to carry when lightweight backpacking. Calcium citrate powder is, for example, quite bioavailable, but not very easily dissolved in cold water. A way to include some vitamin D to help with calcium absorption would be nice, too.

–MV

PostedNov 17, 2014 at 12:06 pm

My homebrew is 3 parts table salt to 1 part “Lo Salt.” This gives approximately a 3.6:1 ratio of Sodium to Potassium which is the same as a Nuun tablet. Of course, that has no Calcium, Magnesium, or whatever else is in a Nuun.

My mix is a little weaker than that Healthwise recipe: 3/8 tsp of T.S. and 1/8 tsp of L.S. in a liter of water. It tastes like sweat so I flavor it with something sugar-free like a few drops of Mio. And it will double as an energy drink if I mix in Maltodextrin.

I do still use Nuun, though. I throw a caffeinated Nuun into a half liter of water and drink it with breakfast.

PostedNov 17, 2014 at 6:37 pm

"Seems like if I get it from National chain pharmacy it's a little more likely to be better than a website I don't know about"

Take a look at this link, Jerry. I think it will help you gain some confidence that your supplements contain what they advertise, if the "USP dietary supplement verified" seal is printed on the label. Most of Costco's supplements have the seal.

http://www.usp.org/usp-verification-services/usp-verified-dietary-supplements

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedNov 17, 2014 at 6:42 pm

are bulksuplements products USP? I see they say they're USFDA registered

PostedNov 17, 2014 at 6:53 pm

"are bulksuplements products USP? I see they say they're USFDA registered"

I don't know, Jerry. That would be a good question for the vendor. Myself, I have reverted to using plain old sea salt in my water and getting my K, Mg, and Ca from "REAL PHUD" and supplements in pill form at either end of the day. Seems to work pretty well in the field, although I do also take Hylands Leg Cramp pills prophylactically on hard days, based on past experience. I don't think Ca, K, and Mg are necessary while hiking, unless you're doing the kind of mileage Greg G. mentioned, or you are a physiological outlier.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedNov 17, 2014 at 7:02 pm

I take Omeprozole because by Gastrointerologist said my Esophogus is enflamed. It reduces stomach acid, which inhibits absorption of calcium, so he says to also take Calcium

I noticed my Walgreens Omeprozole and Calcium, and Citrical from Bayer aren't USP either. Or a couple other bottles of stuff…

Maybe I'm overthinking : )

I don't do a lot of hiking in super hot weather so I don't worry about electrolytes. I put a little extra sodium/potasium salt in my oatmeal and soup.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
Loading...