Topic

GEAR FETISHES ;o)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GEAR FETISHES ;o)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

OK, the Doctor is in:

You may now confess to all gear fetishes that you have in our little group therapy session.

"Hi, my name is Eric and I have a (few) gear fetishes."

1. I like to modify my gear – even if it doesn't need it.
    2. I REALLY like using ESBIT for cooking.
    3. Sometimes I get the urge to buy "just one more" stove
    4. I have half a garage full of camping/backpacking/skiing gear – which I actually use.
    5. Eating well on the trail is my most addictive fetish. I'll carry a tiny skillet and mini spatula to have scrambled eggs a few times in a week.

Also, I like telling my wife, with a totally straight face, "This? Ha! I've had that since 1990." when she spots a new eVent garment, stove, pair of boots, etc.

P.S.
    This thread is about backpacking fetishes, not fetishes disguised as backpacking fetishes, such as wearing women's nylon underwear to "save weight". That thread is in a FAR different website.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

"Sometimes I get the urge to buy "just one more" stove"

You're one sick fetish puppy Eric… :)

Bill

Anonymous
    Inactive

"2. I REALLY like using ESBIT for cooking."

Do you also sniff the fumes and tell yourself you're just indulging your multi purpose gear fetish ? C'mon now, Eric. You can tell the truth here. You're among friends. ;=]

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

One company that has been with me throughout the years is Thermarest. I received my first self-inflating pad as a gift from my parents in the '80s. I used that all the way until I joined the Army and it's still in my garage today as good as new. Hoarding or not, I'll never get rid of it due to its sentimental value.

We used CC pads in the Army for the first few years and then they began issuing TAR pads. We didn't have ground sheets so there was nothing protecting them. I'd spring a slow leak here and there but never anything catastrophic. The worst trouble it ever gave me was a slow leak here and there but never anything catastrophic.

My latest is a Prolite size small. It doesn't self inflate like my old ones but that doesn't bother me. I love the quality and durability it has shown me so far. While I have plusher sleeping mattresses like the Exped available to me, the Prolite is the one which sees the most trail time.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I spent a decade reading National Geographic, where my heroes were exploring the world and telling amazing stories. Now I'm becoming that guy in a backpack who goes out in a blizzard, hurricane, windstorm, bike tour, backpacking, hundreds-of-miles-of-whatever adventure.

Two years ago, pre-surgery, I couldn't even hike.

We're lucky.

(but also the gear…. the collection grows….)
    rm

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Gear Fetish??? Not sure… does this qualify
    (how my living room looks most of the summer)substitute skis for winter...

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Can collecting backpacking and camping stoves be called a fetish? I have about 25 MSR stoves, 26? Optimus stoves (10 8/8R's), only 10 Coleman stoves, then throw in some Primus, Radius, Enders, Brunton, Svea, alky stoves to round things out to under 100. Trying to stay under that number. All work, but one, which needs soldering again. They date back to the 1920's.
    Duane

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I'm not at Duane or Hiking Jim's level of stove fetish, but I do have my weaknesses. A new hand-held light or headlamp that is better, brighter, or longer lasting is a flame and I am the moth. I had a pre-disposition to that but years of caving rendered me totally vulnerable to new, cool lights.

I only have 14 stoves, so, no, I don't have a problem with stoves. I could stop anytime I want.

I do have more slide rules than anyone within 2000 km. But, really, the expectation I have for myself is that I can get to an answer before someone any mechanical/electronic aids.

I could give a technical definition of a fetish, but the post would get deleted. I'll just let the emerging definition of fetish be the operable one for this thread.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Duane have you seen a professional about this, er, stove thing of yours?

Is it causing you any pain?

You know, the first step is to admit there is a problem.

And then ask for help… :))

Bill

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

A confessional, is it, then? All right, here are my seven sins:
    1) Windscreens. I'm always just about to make the perfect one.
    2) Stoves. Why are they so addictive? Are we all pyros?
    3) Knives. Difficulty choosing just one. Next up, a Spyderco with an exceedingly bright, glow-in-the-dark handle. Dual use, I tell myself. My headlamp might not work, I could tie the knife around my forehead. Yeah, that's a good idea!
    4) Base layers. No-scratch, quick-dry, and no-stink, even when wet. Still searching.
    5) Cordage. Always might need a little more…
    6) Pots. I have enough to carry a clean pot for every meal.
    7) Packages of powdered or dehydrated foods I find in the grocery store. Must try them all; some MUST be good.

I don't own a single slide rule, however. So my sins can't be that bad.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It started when I was a young man :)

I like hunting used gear, and share with my wife and adult kids too, so that helps a lot. My wife got the eVent bike jacket to ride to work {{{{{GRAB}}}}} My wife says I'm a freak for jackets.

Knives could be a lot of trouble, but I seem to have some self control….. so far.

Ummm radios….. sheesh…..

I figured out late in life that I have a thing for industrial design. Fits well here!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

The girls at work think I should be committed. Most of my trouble is I'm saving for a newer pickup, so I'm well funded to buy more stoves, but not gaining much more ground toward a newer truck. Just one more, really!
    Duane

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

It's not like you asked the average, high-functioning adult on the street if they had a alcoholic drink they REALLY liked. It is more like you asked at a bar, "What's your favorite drink?"

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I bet Duane has stoves under his bed.

J R
    Spectator

@jringeorgia

What about re-weighing gear you've already weighed and recorded? Maybe I got it wrong the first time, maybe the item magically shed a gram since the last outing, maybe with new batteries my scale will be more accurate. You can never be too sure.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hahaha, JR. I do the same thing. I have 10 sleeping pads for the two of us, but only really use 2 each.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I'm addicted to the "one gun" mentality. I'm always looking for an outfit I can wear to a wedding and a camping trip, a bike I can take on the CDT and still crit-race with. I am trying to pack a 30L for overnight travel to antarctica and bermuda in the same setup. I would love it if my phone was also my computer.

If it doesn't work, it's back to the spreadsheet!

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I'm a woman who works with mostly men. The sexist topic of the other day (all in good fun) was wives who bring home new purses. The usual comments, happy wife, happy life, don't ask why she needs another when she can only use one at a time.

I'm the wife who brings home another sleeping bag. :)

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Deleted

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

When I read the first 2-3 posts, started thinking "yea I've got gear fetishes! lots of sleeping pads (4)… sleeping bags (3)… jackets (:(

But if I had to, I would second max and the "one-gun" mentality. I do you think much more about getting the perfect gear/setup then getting the best for each situation. I definitely obsess a lot before buying anything! And love me a good spreadsheet to sort thru the data :)

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Deleted

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

:) Specifying sleeping bags was to keep it simple. My real fascination is…I can admit it… DOWN. I have an REI Sub Kilo mummy bag (my starter sleeping bag), a Golite quilt, and finally a Z-Packs 15* bag, which I find perfect. Down jackets…a Marmot jacket, a Golite Bitterroot, a Montbell Alpine Light, a no-name jacket that I wear around town, and a no-name down vest. I've had to restrain myself from buying other jackets….. Down Goosefeet hood, Goosefeet booties, Montbell down pants. Lemme think. I'm sure there's something else.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Oh holy cow Mark Ries, that's hilarious!

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Deleted

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I'm beginning to see there are some sick puppies here on this thread.

Very therapeutic for me as I almost feel 'normal' now….

thanks

Bill

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools