Topic

Am I forgetting anything for a Sierra trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Am I forgetting anything for a Sierra trip?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

Someone said to post here bc I got no feedback when posted it for two days on Gear List page. Love the community feedback here and appreciate you people!

Clothing:
    -Top (Short Sleeve Under Armour for hiking and maybe one SS black merino)
    -XO Brand sport sleeves (2) for long sleeve warmth / sun protection
    -Wind jacket Arc Teryx –4oz
    -Down vest by Western Mountaineering
    -Cut zpacks bivy to serve as poncho and bivy
    -Pants are REI with zip-off legs; taking undies as well
    -Zpacks rain pants for rain plus extra warmth
    -Visor hat with bandana for sun and staying cool; long bandana for easy neck tying

Footwear stuff:
    -New Balance Trail Runners
    -Micro wool socks plus spenco pads for foot impact help
    -I'll list Johnson and Johnson blister band-aids here early in post bc foot care is crucial and need feedback
    -Zpacks ultralight tent repair tape for blister and foot band-aid ultra thin wrapping
    -Very small number of rubbing alcohol pads for foot cleaning when a blister gets bad

Sleep stuff:
    -Thermarest ultralight cot (its 2lbs 10oz but amazing… I saved in other areas but open to limited feedback)
    -Gossamer Gear hammock-wide 1/4 inch grey foam torso sleep pad (i cut it down a little but still wider at shoulder than standard)
    -Zpacks 20 degree tall version quilt –22oz (may attach hiker Velcro to underside of pad and to quilt side tabs to keep wrapped warm at night)
    -Thermarest grey sleeppad roll purchased at REI sale and cut down to minimum size for sit pad
    -Other sleep gear—- Warm fleece skullcap, bandana (already mentioned) for warm neck, eyes / ear noise blocking
    -Bivy (already mentioned) and line to attach bivy high point to tree
    -Inflatable pillow of ultralight variety to use with Six Moons backpack for head support (this is a maybe item)

Water stuff:
    -Sawyer filter
    -Two 1 Liter Evernew pouches and one 2 L pouch
    -Water flavoring bc taste matters
    -Can add cheap plastic bottle or the llike on trail if needed for more L carry

Electronics / other stuff I'll bring:
    -iPod plus headphone (cut for only one ear)
    -Charge wall plug plus cords (I've found you just need to bring that wall plug as much as I'd like to leave it)
    -iPhone with Google Maps, Halfmile PCT app, Eric the Black elevation map, and Topomaps loaded —-Plus e-card game to hone poker skill (I kid)… Now experimenting with Gaia GPS map after reading more at BPL
    -Solio small solar charger

Maps:
    -Yogi's sheets (to use with iPhone maps for Situational Awareness)

Hitch materials:
    -White tyvek matting for dirt mat and used for hitching (writing destination on this really helps)
    -Black Sharpie
    -Ireland flag handkerchief bandana (mentioned… multipurpose and helps get rides)

Food stuff:
    -High energy food like husked sunflower seeds
    -Spoon is a maybe (will carry food and not bring stove again is my plan)
    -Ursack and not sure if I'll bring the aluminum reinforcement –1lb4oz
    -I'll hike to hitch for re-supply at least three times

Lighting:
    -2 mini Petzl e-lite… I find two work best for night hiking — .95 oz per
    -Backup battery is a maybe

Poles:
    -TiGoat carbon fiber pole (only use one)

Toiletries:
    -Sunscreen
    -Baby wipes / TP / magazine (joke)
    -Small light case w q-tips and floss
    -Zpacks light toothbrush and paste
    -Vasoline lip stuff that also acts as cut healing item
    -Soap and balaclava for possible showers I find (balaclava is add'l warmth item as well)
    -Pain, infection, and giardia pills (two each until get to town)
    -Light rag for nose etc

Other stuff:
    -Backpack is Six Moons Feather at 11oz (awesome pack)
    -Mini shoulder strap pouches custom from zpacks (hold iPhone, iPod, sunscreen in one pocket and rag, wool gloves, and hat in other)
    -Wool micro gloves
    -Head bug net
    -Sunglasses
    -Zpacks ultralight little bag for wallet / Credit Card items
    -Zpacks Hexamid Duo tent for its length and rain protection (I'd almost like to leave it but not taking poncho most likely and need real shelter despite preference to cowboy camp)… and it weighs light for a tent at 11.1oz per website
    -Titanium stakes and addl small support pole (.4oz)… May leave 4 stakes and use rocks for other 4 tie downs
    -Stuff sacks and plastic baggies… can also be used for stream crossing w small streams
    -Small plastic ties… for solar panel strapping or bivy tie
    -Chafing stuff
    -Zimmerpacks 1.1oz stuff sack/day pack… Might get someone to slack pack my bag for a day or three somewhere on trail and would go ultra ultra-light for a stretch
    -May also take: Safety pins to dry socks, small lighter, scissors or tiny knife, needle / thread, and bug spray

Weight was 11.4 base weight without the light tent, Ursack, and a few other small items. Good weight but might cut something.

Ideas on how to make better? 12 days on trail already this spring. Great trips so far.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

First of all, I guess I don't understand your sleep system…cot, tent, lots of pads…I feel like I don't have a good understanding what you're doing so I don't want to be critical. Yet.

Are you going some place where the ursack is ok? I'm not well-versed in which areas require what, but if you are going with the aluminum liner are you in a place where you need a full-on bear can?

You seem to have a lot of bandana/balaclava/nose rag pieces. How many do you really need?

At that altitude, with no tree cover, you absolutely need sunglasses. You might feel fine with just the visor, but the UV at that altitude is quite damaging to your eyes, especially if you are looking at any snow, reflective granite, etc.

As far as you requested comments about foot/blister care…Johnson and Johnson makes a hydrocolloid bandage called "tough pads." The hydrocolloid dressings are amazing for foot/blister stuff because they are padded, they keep the moisture from the blister contained (which you want, by the way…), and it is wholly waterproof. You put it on and can wear it for days without having to change (which is also better – allows for healing inside the bandage). I have a preference for the tough pads because they are rather large and can be cut into pieces if you need to.

Just nit picking of course, but that's what you asked for!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

If you hit snow it could cause serious eye damage. Even the rock is uber bright.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

New Balance makes 12,000 models of trail runners.

Which model are you planning to use?
    how many miles have you logged in this model … while carrying a pack?

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

Where in the sierras are you planning on going?

Sun glasses IMHO are not optional.

I dont really get your sleep system? You have a cot with two foam pads? that you use in a bivy? with a tent.

For all the stuff you out lined it seems light(11pounds). But I have no clue what your gear actually weighs.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Josh, I thought I read that the way you did.

I usually only bring a spare shirt, socks, undies.
    Duane

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

You need a map. If your electronic gismo breaks then what. It is wrong to rely on others for your navigational needs.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Lol someone actually bought the thermarest cot for backpacking.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

No map and sunglasses = just dumb. If you ask for directions you will probably run into someone else with the same dumb idea. That would be a hoot. The cut down map is miniscule weight and space, so what is the deal? And you are likely to get headaches without the glasses, if you are lucky enough to be without snow (white sierra granite is almost as bad), that is. If you go through a snow field it might be worse. They are one of the 10 essentials after all :-)

Can you write a short paragraph explaining your sleep system. I think we should start there before we worry about anything else. Its not just that it is non-conventional, which is fine in my book – sleep is important, and everyone feels they need something different. It just seems…well, not to compute. There seems to be duplications and/or possibly mutually exclusive things. I'm a big dummy, but why both a cot and a hammock. I'm sure if you explain in more detail it will make sense.

Edit: Thanks Eric, Ok I see, no hammock. Whew!

Also, are you sure of you insulation. 1/4 " does not seem enough in the sierras. In hammock or cot (those are great in warm overnight temps I would presume) you are going to compress your bag, so you need insulation under you, touching ground of not. Does the cot have built in insulation?

Edit: Quick stab at specifics-

-Ditch both SS shirts.
    -Ditch ponchos and bring Driducks chepo top for warmth at night and to get through showers if that happen. (assumes you bring hexamid).
    – I would ditch cot. For the weight of the cot you could get a pad that would make the sultan of Brunei blush. Im thinking warmth here – assume you might have a night in the 20's F.
    – You already have the perfect backup shelter, even if you prefer to cowboy camp. hexamid is huge, light, and obviates the need for ponchos and bivy.

'Lighting:
    -2 mini Petzls… I find two work best for night hiking '

These are good. I hear if you get the dual strobes synced just right you can make an attacking bear have a seizure!

-Ditch the day pack, you have a frekin' Whisper! LOL

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

While I agree with others that the combination of a cot and bivy are strange, I'd like to see how it even fits, I think his sleep system does not include a hammock. He is using a wide 1/8" closed cell foam mattress which he refers to as a hammock mattress, probably because it would work well in a hammock because of its extra width.

You have 4 shirts which could easily be reduced to two or even one if you're wanting to drop the weight. I'd pick a long sleeve and push up the sleeves during the heat of the day. If you insist on a clean shirt for sleeping bring the lightest one you have for that.

Since you have the solar charger, I would drop the iPod and just use the iPhone. I would only use a GPS device and/or digital map as a backup to my paper map.

What are the "plastic baggies for stream crossings"? Feet will get wet, let them.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Don't forget your JMT pencil! LOL

I agree w/ others:

No sunglasses- wha?

Thermarest cot- Wha? Just stack two neoairs. As comfy with less weight/ volume. I jest

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Told you would get answers here. Good advice.

That is a ton of stuff.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

You would think that shorts would be good to sleep in. Keeps your dirty pants from hitting your bag. Well, not exactly. Your legs will be far dirtier than your pants. Dirt doesn't stick to your pants nearly as easy as it does your legs. If your planning on hiking in pants then ditch your shorts.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

I just took a look at the cot on amazon out of curiosity, and it does look lovely – makes me want to take a sleepy time nap right now. And wow, expensive. I thought it was insanely heavy, but right next to it was a "mountaineering" one that weighed 11 lbs! I guess those things always get carried by sherpas, so net weight 0 oz. Now that is light weight backpacking! According to Yvon Chouinard they even nowadays leave a little mint on your pillow at Everest basecamp.

But yes, I assume it is comfortable. How do you get it in your bag? If properly modded (some on this site no doubt know how to do this) you should be able to rearrange it, rubrics-cube style, to form an old school external frame pack. Then packing would not be an issue and you would save the 11 oz of your UL pack.

Anyway, I kid! The folks on this site more than you.

Seems like your net comfort might be greater, however, with a pad of some sort. For one thing you might still need a pad for warmth (though not comfort clearly) on the cot. I think you might find an equal comfort for sleeping with a pad, and a superior walking comfort during the rest of the trip. If you don't need a CCF pad to give your pack some structure, then many of the folks here will probably suggest you get an xlite. Thinking this might already weigh less than your current foam pad, but with up to 2 1/4 inches more insulation, not to mention comfort. Just one, if you use 2 like Jeffs suggested you might fall in and need to be rescued.

TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

Thanks for the kind replies… Thought I'd get fawning admiration for this clever setup!!

Ken, you certainly were right…

Let's see here… Sleep system is cot, hammock-sized wide shouldered 1/4 inch foam on that, then bivy. Foam is torso length and so I use sitpad for foot pad inside bivy. Quilt bag. Warm skull cap and neck handkerchief worn during sleep. Bivy is about 4oz and zpacks is light so not a big deal to me to bring this.

No poncho for small weight savings is something I've determined.

Sunglasses is a must I'll agree with. Wanted to push that button to hear feedback bc didn't use on last three day section in the desert.

Tested this setup… It works well. Tested in Kennedy Meadows at ~37 degrees and was warm enough on the bottom that I thought is be ok down to 20 – 25 degrees.

Full Whisper is still 12 or so lbs… so worth it to use Zimmerpacks 1.1oz daypack as a stuff sack. I will happily slack pack a day and carry water, food, and sleeping bag in this pack for a supa-fast distance-making slackpack day. What else do people bring for a 24-30 mile slack pack stretch I guess I'll ask to turn this to positive advice?

Not totally sold on utility of this cot idea but I can haul it and it is wicked comfortable. Energy earned through good sleep can be worth it. I'm not 100% positive but I'm sticking with it for now.

Right now there are tons of people on PCT Sierra section. Paper map may not be necessary… Do I really think I'll lose my iPhone w saved map pictures of higher resolution than any crappy paper map? There is a scolding tone to some of this… Are we not resourceful people?

Plastic bag foot cover through small streams is a good thing to bring. Why soak feet every time you cross a decent stream?

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

"Right now there are tons of people on PCT Sierra section. Paper map may not be necessary… Do I really think I'll lose my iPhone w saved map pictures of higher resolution than any crappy paper map? "

On the other hand do you really want to risk being the guy who famously doped his iphone on a rock, and then had to be rescued carrying a cot, but no map. LOL

Dale…wake up Dale! That's you cue!

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

"Right now there are tons of people on PCT Sierra section. Paper map may not be necessary… Do I really think I'll lose my iPhone w saved map pictures of higher resolution than any crappy paper map?"

I would much rather use a paper map than a tiny iphone screen. Plus it can't run out of batteries. But I guess you don't NEED one.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

The weight of a map compared to its utility isn't worth the time to discuss it. Take it.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

In the hiking world there is a buzz about UL hikers being so focused on weight that they don't even take a map and irresponsibly mooch off of other hikers. Don't be that hiker! So yeah, there is a bit of scolding because you should be self sufficient. As far as technology, accidentally leave your phone on overnight with your GPS on and your battery is drained. Cloudy day and your charger wouldn't work. Now what. Take a dunk on a simple stream crossing, phone gone. (This one just happened to me). Finally I don't think you mentioned where exactly in the Sierra you are going. I have done 30-50 mile hikes on trail at peak season and not seen a single person after the first couple miles from the trailhead. So not all the trails have hoards of people.

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

It's always puzzled me how people carrying only map (sheets) that can blow away in the wind get all hot and bothered about "what if you lose your phone".

Never have made sense of it.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Is it entirely certain this isn't simply a gag thread with the OP pulling everyones chain for amusement ?

Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

Well, I find it amusing

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

I see he has posted another thread that he is looking to park his car for a Sierra PCT section hike from Kennedy Meadows to Mammoth.

If that is true, and this is actually a gear list for that section, I think food storage becomes a stand-out concern. I've personally had encounters with aggresive bears along that stretch.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I tried on one trip over 10 years ago to the Graveyard Lakes, making only a copy of the large map I had, so I only needed where I was going. A little disappointed as I could not tell peaks beyond my partial map. So now I bring more map than I'm going to. Cell phone? I have a long cord from one of my rotary dial phones, they always work. It does get caught up in brush all the time.
    Duane

TJ W
    BPL Member

@thadjw

Really appreciate the good comments. The ones that are positive that is. There is a little bit of snark to some but oh well. I forgive you for being a jerk! I've brought paper maps for most of the other PCT sections. You're hiking in a straight line for 160 miles so its hard to carry a map with any decent resolution. Maybe I'll bring something. PCT is well marked is another thing that I'll mention. There are over 200 people hiking this section now as well. We stick together nearly all the time. Groups of 2-6. Not very dangerous but there is a tad bit of risk with anything in the High Sierras. Good luck on all your endeavors and any more last minute pieces of advice are welcome.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools