Topic

CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CB3/Cloudburst 3 Initial impressions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Godzilla is much cuter in real life!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Godzilla is much cuter in real life!"

Yeah, you think so until he snaps his tail and cuts off your foot at the ankle with one swipe…..

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Ah, sent out to the special few."

Ha! Not even my mother considers me special.

Or, per the great B.B. King – Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jiving me too…..

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

Well I spent the better part of the day setting up my CB3 today and playing with it. I was getting all set to write up what I thought might be a first review. Travis…you beat me to it!! Hope you dont mind if I put some more thoughts along with your thread.

I pretty much agree with Travis's initial opinions. I ordered the optional 3rd pole and I think this is going to be a great high wind/snow shelter. Ive never felt a more solid tent with that third pole installed -tried to push the tent around with my hand and it was VERY sturdy. Using only 4 stakes to pull this off is pretty amazing.

Im 6'2 and had two L/W Exped pads in it and neither my feet nor head touched the netting with maybe about 2 to 3 inches to spare. My long quilts of course touched the end mesh, but I dont see that being a problem. Ive never used a tunnel tent before and the design is definately making an impression on me. Even while laying on the edge on one side or the other, there is still plenty of room above because of the near verticle walls. It packs a bit larger than I would like, but this will be less of an issue when the shorter poles are released.

My only concern right now is the hole on either side that the third pole slides through at the bottom. Without the pole inserted, there is- well a hole…that a tick or some other insect could possibly get through. A piece of tape or something should solve that if you know the third pole will not be used. I hope that with use, the hole does not widen or stretch, as there doesnt seem to be much inforcement around that area.

I ordered the tent (Henry put you on a list if you showed special interest for first dibs) hoping that it will be extremely versatile. I plan on it being my bad weather, snow, or hiking with partner/wife/kids shelter. For 3 Season good weather solo I will probably still continue using my BA Copper Spur UL1.

All in all, Im very impressed with this shelter. Its super easy to get a tight pitch, …the pics below are on the first try. The amount of head room is great. The two vestibules and entrances should be awesome for ventilation purposes and foul weather cooking. Ive got some Thunderstorms supposed to come through Monday or Tuesday, and Ill have the tent pitched to see how it handles the wind/rain.first pitch
    Two L/W Expeds
    Vestibule Room size 13 sandal
    Weight as received; 3rd pole not included

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Now roger doesn't have to worry about all the people wanting him to make his tent bigger.

3 similar tents- three different target audiences. No toes stepped on. Awesome!

Good job Henry. Looks like another winner

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Diego,
    Not at all! Thanks for your thoughts and photos, and for filling in gaps I left out.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

@Mary

Total volume (without vestibules), the CB3 is larger than the Rainshadow2 because both ends of the tunnel are of equal height whereas the RS2 ceiling slopes to the foot end.

However, the floor area is 15% smaller; CB3 = 36.4 square feet vs. RS2 = 42

The floor dimensions are different as well:

Width: CB3 = 62 inches vs. 78 for the RS2 (RS2 is 25% wider)

Length: CB3 = 86 inches vs. 84 for the RS2

I can't find ceiling height and packed size data for the CB3 on the TT website (yet), but being a 3-person rather than a 2, I'll assume it is at least equal in height to the RS2. The original poster noted the packed size was much greater than a Double Rainbow (4 x 20 inches).

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Travis,

Sorry could not reply properly last night as was out on the town.

The reason I mentioned about a seperate inner is all my tents are all outer pitch first which I find is very versatile.

Also as a certain Scotmans said an outer pitch first tent with the inner removed can be used as a lavatory before breaking camp in thr morning.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

"Also as a certain Scotmans said an outer pitch first tent with the inner removed can be used as a lavatory before breaking camp in thr morning."

I didn't know that Christophe Lambert took a position on such matters.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Nah its that other highlander thats fae Dundee.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Ah, good to know Stephen! Next time we hike together, I'm peeing in your tent. :)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I think the man in question was on about taking a number two in the tent :-)

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

This thread is called "initial impressions of CB3"

The first post I read is "taking a number 2 in the tent."

Hmmm…there's a joke in there somewhere………

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Most definitley :-)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Beware when a certain Scot want to take you to their favorite spot.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Travis, Doug, and Dean,
    Did any of you opt for the clip in liner for the ceiling?
    Thoughts on that?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I don't think it's available yet.

Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

width of 52" worries me in terms of space for two. When we were inside a copper spur ul2 going fr 52 to 42 at the foot I thought 52 seemed tight. What do those who have the tent think? Maybe it is all personal preference, but to spend any time in the tent, sitting around, rather than just sleeping, I might like more space Or is it just fine? Need to get inside one I guess.

Sam

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Floor of CB3 is 62" wide, not 52".

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Width: CB3 = 62 inches vs. 78 for the RS2 (RS2 is 25% wider)

The CB3's floor is rectangular (62" wide full length) while the RS2 floor is a trapezoid. Quite a bit of width on the head end but with the floor setup as a bathtub the foot end is filled full width by three 20"x72" sleeping pads.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

The CB3 is more than wide enough for two, and pretty good for three- at least much better than most tents that advertise themselves as 3 man because of the near verticle side walls.

I just seam sealed mine this afternoon and just a word of caution to future owners. Be careful while seam sealing around where the guy lines attach to the pole (the black attachment points). You need to seam seal in front and back of those black attachments. I had it set up as I would normally under tension and the black tabs are pulled forward as usual, so I first sealed behind it. However some of the silicon solution found its way to the front of the black attachment point and you cant wipe it away while its under tension. So its possible to have a build up of silicon behind there and the fabrics may stick to themselves. I realized it before it had a chance to dry and everything turned out well after releasing the guy lines to seal the front and back black tabs. It also may be helpful for those that havnt done this before to practice on the stake bag filled with some quilt stuffing. My first mixed sulution was too thin and the stake bag wouldnt hold water. Thickened it up just a bit and not a drop leaked and I knew I had the consistency right.

Picture of area Im referring to.black tap

Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

web site shows 52 with inner- but expandable to 62? Sam
    will email Henry

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Sam, I have no idea where 52" came from but the CB3 is definitely 62". You can't fit 3 x 20" pads into 52"

-H

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

here it is with three mats :
    CB3 3 mats
    one of six photos showing that in the "what's new" link
    Those mats are 20" wide
    (I still have to edit to add photos…)

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

'You can't fit 3 x 20" pads into 52"' – Only if you created a mezzanine level could you do that :-)

Henry, I am really impressed with the CB3, you have so many thoughtful features and modular options packed into this design. My only dilemma is whether I have to fall out of love with my StratoSpire 2, or take a bath on the resale of my Hilleberg Kaitum 3, in order to justify adding this to my gear rotation. I suspect I know which of the two options you would advise :-)

I'm watching the early reports with great interest, and I'll be keen to learn how early adopters of the clip-in liner get on with it.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools